Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2004, 06:43 AM   #1  

Question Dr. Phil

Is his book worth purchasing? Anything to help me right now. I have pcos and have done well losing weight with WW before BUT gained it all back and here i am again with about 90 lbs to lose but would be wonderfully happy with 50 lbs gone! So Is it helpful. I need opinion here. I'm glad I found this place!
gitrdonelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:48 AM   #2  

Check it out from the library, and then you can see if it is something you would really like to purchase

Welcome!!!
Jazzmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:52 AM   #3  

Oh I forgot to say...there is a whole section here about Dr. Phil's book, c'mon over and you will see all sorts of opinions on the book.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 AM   #4  

Talking

I can't get it from the library without paying. Another hick town. lol BUT I WILL CHECK OUT THE FORUM! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM   #5  

uggh about paying!! Sorry that option isn't available to you!!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:51 PM   #6  

While I'm not a big Dr. Phil fan, I think the book is DEFINITELY worth buying. Hits the nail on the head, and is applicable no matter what type of food plan you follow.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #7  
Future Size 6

If you don't want to pay full price, Amazon.com is usually a GREAT place to find used books. Just look up the title you want, and see if they have "Available used & new, starting at $5.49" or whatever, listed beneath the new price.
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:22 PM   #8  

I'm so upset I went to town tonight and forgot to get the book! I will have to this weekend! Ugh! Thanks everyone for your replies!
Old 12-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #9  

Personally I don't get what everybody sees in this guy. I only saw him once though when he was interviewing the presidential candidates, he and his Stepford wife, Lordy, like Frazier only a different accent.

Anyhow -- don't buy it new, that's for sure, look on half.com or ebay or amazon for used prints, used diet & psyche books are usually plentiful.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:48 AM   #10  

K8-EEE, as I said, I'm not a huge fan of him or his show, but this BOOK makes a lot of valid, helpful points. It came out after I was about year into my very successful life-altering weight loss program, and I kept thinking, "Why didn't I write this first? It's all the stuff I had finally figured out to make me successful at this ..."

Please read it before you judge.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #11  

Hi -
I was like funniegrrl, I had lost most of my weight and made the significant changes in lifestyle already when I read Dr Phil's book. I liked his book because so many of the changes and realizations that I came to on my own were in his original book.

For me, a flavor of the month diet book or plan wasn't going to help me in the long term to maintain my weight loss. Dr Phil does give some little tests you can take to see if you have some unrecognized road blocks in your behaviors and opinions about either weight loss or maintenance that make the book worthwhile IMO. You can retake the tests months later and see where you have made improvements in your internal world - for me maintenance isn't all about what you weigh, it's about how you feel about your weight... and maintenance was the goal for me.

Allie
SW/258 GW 145-150 maintained 6 months and gained a few cuz of foot injury - still up a few but have maintained over 100 loss for 10 months now.
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote