Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #1  

Smile New here and so ready to be a big fat loser!

Hello everyone! I am new here to 3FC and I wasnt sure where exactly to begin posting. I have been reading alot of threads and really enjoy this site but didnt exactly know where I fit in. I bought the WW flexpoints program from Ebay. There are no WW meetings in my town and the nearest one only has meetings on Mondays and that doesnt work for me so I am contemplating doing the program on my own. I also thought of joining online but to be truthful if I can do it with support from this forum and the information I bought why spend the extra cash? I would rather save it for new clothes after I lose the weight. I have been heavy most of my life and have been a yo yo dieter for most of my adult life. Now I am ready to finally change my life and begin a healthy lifestyle. I would appreciate any tips or words of wisdom you may have for me. I am really looking forward to this new experience.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #2  

Default Im a newbie!

I just started today and I need to know what those have done in the past to have an excellent weightloss? please help and give me that motivation
Old 12-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

I will say that there is more needed that what you normally get from e-bay but W/W has 2 other options other than meetings to get all the information. One is the online program and the other is the at-home program. With online you don't get 'hardcopy' information but everything you need is online from the program to journaling to tracking your weight to getting virtual awards to a recipe builder. With the at home program you get all 12 weeks worth of materials, the food companion, the dining out companion and I believe a points calculator. The at home is approximately $100 with a flex pay over 3 or 4 months (don't quote me but you can check www.weightwatchers.com ) and the online has a registration feel and then $30 for 3 months or $15 a month.

I wish you luck in your weight loss endeavors.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #4  

Sarah, everyone has different things that work for them, but these are the things that worked for me and helped me to lose 80+ lbs and keep them off after many failed attempts.

1) Realize that this isn't temporary. There is no being "done" with the "diet". You're changing forever. The old life is gone.

2) One mistake is not fatal. It doesn't make you bad, or a cheater or a failure. You haven't blown it. You get right back on the horse the next meal (not next week or next month!)

3) Face the reality that the weight isn't going to disappear over night. There are weeks where you will do everything right and not lose. There will be weeks you will do everything wrong and have a big loss. It happens. There is no explanation for it. It's not a reason to quit or give up. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

4) Go to meetings! I know not everyone is a fan of them, but I think studies have shown those who go to meetings are much more successful at losing and keeping it off than those who don't. Sometimes they are insightful, some days they are boring, but getting weighed will help you to stay on track.

5) Write EVERYTHING down. Those "tastes" while you were making the spaghetti sauce, the left over crusts from the kids sandwhiches, the handful of nuts, the spoonful of this or that. It all counts.

6) Drink your water. It helps.

7) Cut down on eating out, prepared foods and junk. Yes, you can have potato chips and cookies and frozen meals. But they just don't give you much bang for your buck. You will be more hungry and your points will disappear quickly. Have them once in a while if you must, but not all the time.

8) Move! Exercise is important. Walk, do a tape, join a gym, dance, swim whatever. But do SOMETHING.

9) Plan, plan, plan. It's so much easier to stay on the program if you have your day planned ahead of time and have the foods you need. Things don't always go as planned, but having a framework will keep you in line much more than waiting until lunch, when you're already hungry and being tempted by what others are eating or whatever.

10) Have fun with it. I know most people don't look at it as fun, but if you look at it as this big burden and whatever, you will likely fail. I have fun now looking at labels and going to the store and browsing to see if I can make a great low point discovery or finding a new excerise tape or equipment and best of all shopping for new clothes and doing things with my family instead of sitting on the couch. It's worth all the effort you put in and then some.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/207/145

I just wanted to ask if you were absolutely sure there was no meetings where you are. I thought the same thing because there was no advertising in my area and there is no center, but I learned almost two years after living in my county that there are at least 4 places I could have gone. The meetings are held in non-traditional settings, like the mall, local colleges, and churches. I would call the toll free number that is listed on the website. That would connect you with your local WW leader and you can get info there. I wish you luck with your program.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:12 AM   #6  

Smile

Thanks for all the replies. I am so happy to have found this place. I did contact the WW 800# and the only meeting around here is on Mondays and that is boy scout night for us and unfortunately I cant be both places at once. Maybe in the near future a group will start up in my town on a night that is open. The only other option is to go to another town which is about 45 minutes away So for now I will just use the information I have from ebay and the great tips and advice given here. I have already found many recipies tips that I know will help. Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words. It really means alot to have support from people who can relate and do not judge.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 321/315/200

HI!!!
I just started to go to meetings tonight and it was awesome. I didnt like the weigh in though(Yuck) but am excited to be a part of a life changing program. All I can tell you so far is that you will feel good. I have been doing it for almost a week and it isnt hard at all. I feel great already!!! Just make sure you follow the plan and drink water. I will follow you on your road to weight loss.

Mike
Old 12-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 332.4/ticker/150

Height: 5' 7"

I'm also new. One of my biggest problems has been motivation and the ability to stick with the program. I usually last 1 or 2 days, then give up. More than 20 years ago, I attended Weight Watchers meetings and lost 30 pounds in 6 months. It got to a point where I was losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds, so I gave up. I'm at the point right now that I have to do something. I need help !!!
Closed Thread