Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default The entertainment thread

ok so i'm looking around and i think we should have an entertainment thread a place to talk about recommend and adives on new movies albums and up coming music that other might not have the chance to know about otherwise. any recent bough movies or albums.

i'm a bit of a movie freak myself my recent purchases are the ring (origonal japanese version) the Seventh seal. 1950's swedish classic and angelheart. i don't really go in for music as such but i'm really keen to get my hands on the new joss stone release and the kings of leon one.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #2  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

great idea!!

if anyone has advice on books, i'd love to hear. i'm always looking for something new to read. also, advice on new bands is always appreciated. i feel like i haven't "discovered" a band in a very long while.

slim - i havent seen the original japanese version of the ring. is it better than the american version?

i think that this film closer with natalie portman and jude law looks really great. anyone else want to see this? i like to see what the reviewers say, but i'm pretty sure im going to see this. also, i saw the polar express in imax 3d and it was great. i don't know why this film isn't making a lot of money, but i thought it was amazing.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #3  
Movin' and Losin'

I want to see "Closer," too. I think it looks interesting. I'm also anxiously awaiting "Oceans' 12."

I just watched "The Ring" this weekend. I think I heard they are coming out with "The Ring 2." Has anyone else heard that?
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

i've seen ring 2 the propper original one in japanese. and its er weird lol. and megan yes the japanese version is much better and scarier i'm really disapointed with hollywood they ruin everything they copy to ott with special affects and weak on acutal acting. they ruined the ring they ruined the seven samurai. (the magnificent seven) they ruined the italian job and ofcourse the remakes of gone in 60 seconds and oceans 11 were not a patch on the originals.
i think its highly amusing that Peter jackson would direct something of such high cinematic quality as lord of the rings when i have 2 of his previous films "bad taste" and "brain dead" i highly recommend these for sheer amusment of the tackyness and really far fetched story lines.

bands? mmmm let me think well i dunno if you would have heard of "the streets"? its an english guy its not really rap more of kinda storytelling spoken rhyming stuff but its really good slick lyrics.

most of my music is old stuff happy hardcore/rave and such of the early 90's chemical generation. early prodigy and such like. although i do enjoy Franz Ferdinand and Kings of Leon. although i was horrified at the though of guns and roses without axel (velvet revolver) due to a previous attempt at a band chaning singer (rage against the machine to audioslave not even in the same league most upset) i was really shocked at how good velvet revolver are really really awesome. then ofcourse there is Mr Mathers. eminem's encore looks like a blinder of an album i seen some of the vids on mtv and theyare awesome is it true some are banned in the states?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #5  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Closer looks so good! The Incredibles was really funny. Harry Potter's Prisoner of Azkaban was great. Elf was an okay and cute X-mas movie. Coffee and Cigarettes was another good rental (a bit off the wall though). Si - love the streets! Also, Postal Service is a great mellow rock-ish band.
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

i recently saw a trailer for the grudge and though mmmm this looks very familiar lol good film but i'm not sure if i want to subject myself to another bad hollywood remake. althought it has got SMG in it schwing

also there is a new verison of "The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy out next year"
Old 12-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #7  
Movin' and Losin'

I haven't seen "The Grudge," but I've heard through some friends that it's not that scary or that good.

A friend and I are having a Christmas movie night soon, so we're going to be pulling out all the Christmas movies -- "Christmas Vacation," "The Grinch," Elf," etc. I can't wait! What Christmas movies do you guys like?
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

santa claus the movie it has to be that is awesome. home alone 1 was good for its time bearing in mind i was about 10 when it came out. bad santa with billybob thornton looks good. although i tend to dip into my monty python collection at christmas
Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 PM   #9  

OMG... yay someone outside of NZ who has seen Peter Jacksons earlier movies! They are wicked.. so much fun (would you like some more custard??) I love meet the feebles, but brain dead and bad taste are also good.. have you seen heavenly creatures? that's great. I've had drinks in the house used in the film (Ilam)..it's now the staff club at canterbury university (where I did my degree) he also did the frighteners with Micheal J Fox. It ws filmed in Lyttleton, which is the port of my hometown.

I hear you totally on the Velvet Revolver thing, although as I loved STP I knew Scott Weiland would be perfect in the new role... that band is amazing, one of the first cd's I have ever bought where every song is a good one straight away...
I love audioslave too though, chris cornell just gives the songs a completely different quality, although I do miss rage..

my favourite band, is Blind Melon.. most of you will probably remember no rain, the song with the bee girl in the video, but they have heaps of other awesome songs (3 albums, plus 1000's of boot legs)...then stone temple pilots... i love early 90
s rock and techno... and my guilty secret is owning vanilla ice to the extreme! he he..

new stuff... the Rasmus are good as is Kyo (french band)
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #10  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

NBK (and slim)- STP is one of my favorite bands too!! i love scott weiland. what a show he puts on! The last time I saw STP I was in the third row and Scott threw his towel out to the crowd and the guy next to me caught it, but then he gave it to me. I still have it, my boyfriend thought it was a ratty old towel and tried to throw it away. velvet revolver is awesome, of course.

i dont really like one type of music, i like all kinds of stuff that doesnt make sense together. my favorites are ani difranco, ben folds (and ben folds five), they might be giants, STP, Foo Fighters (NOT a nirvana fan at all), tori amos, weezer, radiohead (early)...

christmas movies? hmm. i havent seen elf yet but i want to. i liked bad santa a lot. and i already said it, but i really liked the polar express.
NYCT1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #11  
Becomming a Monster

hi NBK the two things from braindead that will always live with me are the lawnmower scene! and "i kick arse for the lord"
Old 12-05-2004, 05:17 PM   #12  

I can't wait to see bad santa...long story but it was delayed by about 6 months for release in NZ, then only came to the town i live in as a film festival one.. .which we missed as the BF and I were a bit slow to put film festival adverts and our friends all going to the movies together... then it came here while he was on shift (he works on an offshore oil rig) so we missed it again.. but hopefully we'll catch it on DVD!!!

hmm scott weiland in tight silver pants... man you ARE so lucky to hve his towel.. i touched bob dylans leg at a concert once... i got a front row ticket for my 18th b'day.. it was wicked.

Ok... here is a question.. what is the cheesiest film you have ever watched?
I must admit, i have seen crossroads by britney, and glitter by mariah (both products of not being able to sleep late at night)...but possibly it would be red heat with arnie?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #13  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Megan: I also love Scott Wieland, I have a thing for bad random boys!! I saw STP play, and would have to say, it was one of the best concerts I've been to.
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #14  
Becomming a Monster

cheeseyest film mmmmm. interesting that one. perhaps jeepers creepers that is a pure unhinibited cheesefest. the bride of chucky. 2 weeks notice anything with hugh grant is prime stilton. apart from bridget jones cos that was damn funny
Old 12-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #15  

Ok I am so excited, I will wet my pants if i don't tell someone.. but VELVET REVOLVER IS COMING TO NZ IN FEBRUARY! oh yeah baby... he he.... seriously this is the most exciting news I have had in ages... he he... I unfortunately never got to see stp and I missed GNR when they came here in 92 or so as my mother thought I was too young to go to a concert.. (i was only 12)... anyway I am so going, even if it means selling my kidneys and my spleen... he he...

I watched the second harry potter movie last night.. it was cool... heaps better than the books (I thought they were a bit "what katy did at school"-ish.