Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #1  

Default Sleep and weight

Hi all,

Meg, I believe, recently posted an article in the library section about the association of weight and sleep. Basically the article stated: The more sleep you get, the less hungry one is during the day. Those who sleep more, lose more. Or something similar.

When I was younger my sleep pattern was very sound -- I went to sleep immediately, and slept almost 8 hours to the minute no matter when my head hit the pillow. But years ago when I became caretaker to my elderly father and was in a great deal of emotional turmoil, my sleep patterns totally changed for the worse. I have been unable to ever totally return to my pre-caretaker sleep habits. I sleep better than I did back then, but it could be better. I didnt care all that much until I read that article.

I am curious. What were your sleep habits when you all lost your weight? How much did/do you sleep, and would you call it a good, sound sleep? Have you done anything to improve your sleep habits?

Thanks, Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

I used to be tired all the time when I was fat. I sleep a whole lot better now that the apnea is gone. I think that is the biggest difference. I used to have a lot of stress-related insomnia too. I think exercise killed that, for the most part.

Biggest hinderance now--going to the bathroom. I'm a twice a night kind of gal. Good thing I don't force myself to drink extra water or I'd never get out of there. Biggest help--exercise. And once again contrary to the common wisdom, if I exercise right before bed, I drop off like a rock! Plus it dehydrates me enough to be a once a night gal.

I do make sure to get 7-9 hrs a night, and I'll take short naps in the afternoon after a long bike ride or a long run lasting a couple hours or more.
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 08:45 AM   #3  
Mel

Being told to get more sleep and being able to do it are two different things. I have fibromyalgia which is marked by an inability to reach deep sleep or any sleep at all, at some times. If I'm medicated I can sleep sometimes. Most of the medications cause weight gain. I've taken them on and off for the last 15 years. The initial medication caused a 40 pound weight gain.

Despite lousy sleep patterns (and it's not for lack of trying), and medications, I have managed to lose 50 pounds of fat. Maybe it would have been easier or faster if I could put my head down and have a normal 7-8 hours of sleep, but that hasn't happened since I was about 12 years old, and I don't think it ever will.

I would LOVE to sleep normally! If you aren't getting enough sleep because you just like to stay up late and have to get up early, by all means try to get to bed earlier. If you don't know why you can't sleep, see a doctor. Sleep clinics can diagnose all sorts of problems or which you may be totally unaware. The other possibility if you are not losing, or not losing at the pace you feel you should be is take a look at your diet and exercise levels.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I've either been pregnant or had a nursing baby in my bed constantly for over 6 years now, so my sleeping is awful. Even before kids (when I was at most 130lbs) I had trouble falling asleep. Now, I can usually get to sleep at a decent time, but I only get deep sleep until about 2 am, then I start waking up every 30 minutes or so, whether the baby is awake or not. I have trouble sleeping at all after about 5am.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #5  

The fifty pounds thus far gone have helped me sleep better too, thank goodness, but I still sleep not as much nor as untroubled as in my innocent youth. As you say Mel, its easier to say sleep more than it is to do. Once I am awake in the morning, no matter how early, that is all there is unlike when I was young and could sleep anywhere, anyplace. I remember my parents used to wake very early every day, and now that is me too. I think I am going to have to start going to bed earlier, and at a consistent time every night. I made myself to go to bed last night at 10 pm and I did sleep more. I have been taking refreshing naps most afternoons so that helps.

Thank you for your replies,

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote