Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-14-2004, 03:27 PM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:19 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #2  
Walking by faith

Wink Hi Pookie

I don't normally post here, but I saw the subject line, and wanted to read your message. Sounds like you have a good plan for staying on track with your weight loss. You need to do what works for you, and WW has a structured plan with plenty of support.

Wishing you success
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:30 PM   #3  
workin' my way back down

Hey Pookie......... you're on the same wavelength as me!!!!! I've put off doing anything further about WLS, having just gotten back from vacation, and knowing that there's NO WAY I can get any time off from work for a long time, plus the fact that, as desperate as I usually feel, SOMETHING in me says that I've lost it before and I need to give it another REALLY SERIOUS shot to lose it... not just a half hearted attempt, like I've been doing for the last year (during which time I've GAINED 20 lbs!!!) I am only 5 ft tall, but according to the weight chart, I should be around 6 ft tall!!!!
Last week I joined WW online, and am doing CORE - I've only lost 1 lb this week, but at least I didn't gain! And, if I can keep it up, even at this rate, by spring I'll have lost around 25 lbs.! Anyhow, I just wanted to say hi and let you know that even tho I've put off thoughts of WLS for the time being, you are truly awesome and inspiring.
SonoGranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:05 PM   #4  

I think that's great Pookie! It's a great idea to have some support! You go girlie!
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:29 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Pookie what a marvelous idea, you go girl !! I'm so glad you joined.

"your gonna make it after all" <---- name that tune

Love you lady !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 AM   #6  
Mel

Hiya POOKIE!
What a great idea! Wishing you all the best :

Now go drink your water!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #7  

Default I joined WW too.

I have also had WLS (in 1999) and I've gained back some weight. I joined Weight Watchers today. I would like to lose 40 pounds (no that's not how much I gained) by my wedding next October.

I joined for many of the same reasons. I need to be accountable to someone. I have discovered that I'm like my father in that respect. He joined LA Weight Loss because he couldn't do it on his own. Weight Watchers works better with my lifestyle.

I'm excited to get started and to watch the scale do down again!

Diane
dsnydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 09:41 AM   #8  

I also rejoined WW fairly recently. I saw a few pounds creep on, and had promised myself that if that ever happened, I would take it very seriously and do whatever it took to deal with it. I am so glad that I have. I tend to cycle with my eating and exercise, being firmly committed, then somehow allowing one less desirable habit at a time creep back in. When I finally start to see an issue with my weight, and take a look at what is going on, I see the same pattern again and again. Several times I have worked through this thought process with the nutritionist from my WLS office. The maintainers thread has been a real eye opener for me, and has been so helpful to me in understanding that this is a normal part of the process for anyone who has ever had a weight problem.

One of my best friends had the RNY about six months before I had my WLS. She has gained back ALL of her weight plus some extra. When I talk to her, she says she wishes she had paid attention to that first 5 pounds and taken action then.

I think you will do so well, Pookie. Use whatever works! Do it your way, make it yours, because your journey IS yours.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #9  

Me too! I joined Monday to help me lose those last stuborn 40 pounds. I like the weekly meetings (more if I choose) and having the accountability of the scale. I had to stop going to BTC - now Barix support group meetings because they are on the night I meet for school.

RNY 5/20/2003
lost 130 lbs
hmodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #10  
Hang In There

Hi Pookie-poo,
Good for you, I agree that you have to take any weight gain seriously. Ole Alvin struggles every day. As I've said before, he has basically slipped back to all of his old pre-surgery eating habits, (except drinking carbonated drinks, he got tired of hearing me yell at him for that) but now he is able to exercise which he wasn't able to before. He is very "religious" about working out and keeping his weight in line by that. We both know that if he were to quit exercising, he would gain back the weight he lost, and he's determined not to let that happen.

Sonogranny- I'd like to hear about WW online too.

ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:19 PM   #11  

Good for you Pookie! You're setting a good example for me to follow
Here's a great meta site for WW.....been a WW drop out on and off. Good resource for ideas

http://www.stormpc.com/ww/

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

pookie - you are a STAR...

more later..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #13  

Congrats on the loss Pookie! How exciting to step on the scale and find out that's gone down again.
I weigh in tomorrow and I have mixed feelings about it. I did really well the first two days of WW, then I was out of town tailgating on Saturday and Sunday I was eating on the fly. I'm back on track today. I hope I didn't undo too much over the weekend.
This week will be a challenge with two big meals. At least they are a few days apart and I can get to the gym in between.

I hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving!
Diane
Old 11-22-2004, 03:31 PM   #14  

Hi Pookie ~

I met my fiance on New Year's Eve 2002. It was after WLS, but I don't believe my meeting him was due to being more social since WLS.
I can say that in 2000 I was much more social than I had been prior to WLS. But by the time I'd met him I'd moved back home to PA from RI (I had my surgery just outside of Boston) and I was very social with old friends from the time I got back to the state.

He knows all about my surgery and understands that my weight is unfortunately going to be a lifelong issue. He fully supports my joining WW. He even asks about my points in the evenings. He makes sure I had enough to eat and that I didn't go over at the end of the day.

Diane
Old 11-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #15  

Hi All -

Glad you liked that link. Used to have a good one for low carb. stuff too...will have to look.

My screennick? Do you remember that old show "Kung Fu" with David Caradeen? Used to be a running joke among my friends....Plus, I'm always willing to admit I don't know stuff. Others are the teacher and I am the young grasshopper.....
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote