Old 11-13-2004, 08:48 PM   #1  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Talking Teachers Successfully Losing Weight/Holiday Edition

It is getting to be that challenging time of year...when we all want to be thin...when we all want to indulge...when we want to have our cake and eat it too...

If you are involved in some way, shape, or form with educating children, join us. We also have in common the goal of becoming healthier and lighter along the way.
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #2  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Gosh, I'm so sorry I have been MIA. I ended up spending every spare moment at the chiropractor this week. I not only have a pinched nerve again, I have a new one to keep the old one company. By Tuesday night, I was in friggin' agony and dragged myself to the chiropractor at 5:45pm. He has helped me, but I have a long way to go this time around.

On Thursday, DD's actual birthday, I took her to "Build A Bear Workshop" to use the gift certificate she got. Well, I recommend you avoid going there unless the place is empty. We waited in line for an hour, and then the process took about another 30 minutes. With my backache and the crowd, it was like "**** on earth." If you have any enemies, take them there on a holiday or a weekend. It would be a great way to get revenge. She did enjoy herself in spite of the wait.

My aide managed to get her a** into school all four days, however she was either late or left early each and every one of them. I just want to see her make it through five (Monday-Friday) full (8:30-3pm) days...just once to see if she could do it.

Robyn, I'm so sorry about your friend. It is so difficult to lose someone you care about. I hope you are okay. Feel a hug.

Mouse, Sorry you don't have much energy. You may want to mention it to your doctor.

Kerry, I can't tell you how many workshops I've attended that were actually relevant...not many.

Ginny, Great idea for a birthday party...and reasonably priced too!

On Monday, yes, the famous "start a diet day," I am going on the South Beach Diet. Wish me luck!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #3  
Mommy, wife, teacher

I have some ranting and raving to do. My DD's Brownie leader who I like to refer to as "Little Mrs. Susie Homemaker," is such a friggin' BIMBO. (I call her that because she likes to lord it over the working mothers in the troop that she is soooooo fortunate that she is able to be a "stay at home mom." Believe f*cking me, if I had the option of staying home, I would...however, I don't.) Anyway, Little Mrs. Susie Homemaker requires our daughters to wear their uniforms at every meeting, which is okay with me...most of the time. However, when they are going to get really filthy, I'd rather DD wore jeans. Last Tuesday, they worked with fabric paint, which by the way, is PERMANENT on fabric. DD got it all over her uniform including on one of the badges (try-its)!!! I didn't know it was fabric paint because Little Mrs. Susie Homemaker didn't tell me. I figured it was regular paint, and used shout on the stains. Well, those stains aren't budging. What kind of idiot gives 6 and 7 year olds free rein with PERMANENT FABRIC PAINT when they are wearing their special uniforms?! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The BIMBO suggested I try the dry cleaners. Sorry, no. I would rather buy her a new skort and rip every badge off of that sash and replace it as well. What I would like to do is ring her friggin' neck.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:27 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

Hey, Summer & all.
I think I survived the end of term grading mania. I'm not entirely certain, to be honest...my email has been down since last Thursday, so if the database witch has sent me any nastygrams, I haven't gotten them.
I totally agree with you, Summer: I used to steal my father's old Army uniform shirts because they made GREAT smocks for most of my kids! And there were always tons of them around. The dress greens were perfect, because they were long sleeved and all.
In fact, I don't even buy regular GLUE for my classroom. If it can't be done with a gluestick, we don't do it. The kids don't get scissors either...
And... I forgot to buy the rulers at Staples today. Dang it.
I got to swim the last two days, changed my closet over to winter stuff...thus seeing the incredible gap I have in clothing. I have bought bits and pieces in the last 2 years, but not a whole lot of stuff. I REALLY need pants, but I'm rebelling. I need 1X or 2X pants, but I have to buy most pants in 3X or larger because of the pannus. The 1X and 2X fit best at the waist... I have lots of turtlenecks, and some shaker sweaters and some fleece polo shirts (somehow they just look so much nicer than the other polo shirts I normally wear?)
I also now need a new winter jacket. Tried to buy that today and Lane Bryant kept kicking me out of the site. I did manage to buy the red turtleneck I need for Saturday and also a charcoal gray one... and a pair of jeans. I'm afraid the jeans will be massive around my legs and waist, but I can't do much about it. I can wear a 3X twill pant without problem across that lump, so I bought the largest size denim jeans. Which will be too big around the waist. Oh well. We'll see.
If they work, I may just buy twill pants in that size.
I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to print a banner for my TA's bulletin board... it kept crashing, and trying to burn a new CD because the one I made a few weeks ago has huge scratches across it from somewhere and wont' play on the CD player I use for the gym anymore.
This is the 12th time the CD burn has just quit and stopped responding completely. I'd love to know what its problem is today. It usually does it 4 or 5 times before it burns correctly, but this is just insane. Okay... so I told it to burn as a data CD instead of an audio CD. It worked. GRRRR. I hope my CD player will play it. The computer definitely does. My stereo does not. Its too bloody cold out for me to go try it in the car. The car and the Sony CD player out there are both newer as is the cheap-o gym CD player than my stereo though. I was going to try and burn some instrumental mood music for the kids... my TA asked about that the other day. I have Manhattan Steamroller, and some other instrumental stuff. But I don't want to take my originals to school because some of the kids will steal ANYTHING.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 11-14-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:17 PM   #5  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
I actually had a good weekend. I was lazy yesterday for a change. I got up and fed the kids and then went to the gym. Came home and spent the day lounging around. I didn't get my shower for the day until 8 p.m. It felt great to be lazy for a change. My dh was surprised that I was still in my gym clothes at 7 p.m. last night. I said get over it this is my one day to be lazy. This morning we went to church with his mom and sister. They had a memerial service for loved ones who has passed away. It was a nice service then they had lunch afterwards. I just hope that I didn't eat too much. Came home and took a nap this afternoon. Have been working on getting the laundry done this evening. So that was my big exciting weekend. Oh no, I have to go back to school tomorrow and face the kids acting up because their routine has been off for four days. God help me come Jan. after Christmas break.
Summer I think you have every right to be mad a Girl Scout Bimbo. I can't believe she expects the girls to be dressed in their uniforms for every meeting. Who in their right mind lets 6 year olds use perm. fabric markers. Hope the rest of your weekend went okay.
Ginny and Robyn hope you enjoyed your weekends. Hope you were able to find some time to relax.
Well I have to make copies for my dh. He is the boys' basketball coach and my sdd's ball couch too. Things are going to be fun around our house for the next couple of months.
Have a great week!
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:12 PM   #6  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hello people.

I've got soooo much to say...but no time to type it all out.
Spent most of this weekend (both days) either with Boy Scouts (who also are required to wear their uniforms to every function.... but who have two different uniforms...Class A's are their formal ones... Class B's are special Troop teees.... (that have stains from many a project and campout in various spots on them!)Perhaps you should suggest that to THE idiot in charge of your daughter's group... and I don't think dry cleaning will help fabric paint stains... those paints are MADE to stain fabric!) or at the funeral home for the wake and then again today for the actual funeral. My eyes are sore from wiping them.... My friend would have LOVED the gatherings that happened both nights after the formal services... Her husband gave the eulogy at the funeral. Her children's sobs and the noses of the rest of us were so painfully noticeable!

Kristie is at peace. She will be missed! Her determination, fight and wonderful positive outlook on life is to be admired! She was given less than 6 months 19 months ago! Don't take your life for granted!

Monday... Summer, sounds like a great day for beginnings for me as well! I'll let you know what and how I make the day a GREAT day!

Take care all of you.......
meeeeee
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:41 PM   #7  

Hello all,
My name is Kim and I am currently a substitute teacher/eled grad student. I will be student teaching next semester and I would be wonderful to have people to talk to who know just how tiring it is being in the classroom full time and trying to fit in workouts and not pig out on the comfort food after school. Currently, I am about 240 and I would like to get down to 230 by christmas, and since I have 9 family birthdays and three holidays between now and Jan 9 (not to mention a work schedule that varies as a sub) it's going to be pretty tough, but I think this time I have set a reasonable goal of 10 lbs in about 5 weeks. Since I am also a poor grad student, I am not joining ww this time or trying to follow any special diet, just trying to make healthier choices, starting with actually bringing my lunch to school along with a bottle of water instead of eating the pizza special with whatever. Anyway, tomorrow I am hoping to take a walk in the morning to start things off right. Good luck to all and have a great day!
Kiki80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:48 AM   #8  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Happy Monday folks!

Welcome Kim! You'll discover that we come from many different areas of education! I have been a 1st grade teacher for the last 17 years...however, this year, I gave up all I ever knew and MOVED districts! So I'm a 39 year old beginning all over again! I LOVE me new school. BUT, I truly miss all my old school friends! Moving schools shut my weight loss efforts to the back of the bus while I let my emotionality lead me off the side of my path and into a BIG FATTTTT ditch! BUT... I'm trying to regain control! I was once a size 22. (With the boobs of a size 14...dont ask...) I *WAS* a 12 for a very brief time... (Long enough to get my courage up about changing jobs!) NOW I am facing life from 16's again.... BUT...I'm making progress! I know that the battle is ALL in my head... I just have to regain control of the head! (This weekend was tough as I had a very dear friend pass away.... )

Anywho...Welcome Kim...

AND I lost 1 pound!!! Yahooooooooooooooooooooooo! Only 49 more! I'm back in the drivers seat! The bus is OUT of the ditch!

ya'll take care!
meeeee (oh...I'm Robyn, Kim!)
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:34 PM   #9  
KAR

Welcome Kim!
I am a special education teacher in a county school district in Southeastern Ohio. I deal with teenage boys all day long. Then work with the afterschool program four evenings a week. So I know what it is like to try and deal with everything, squeeze in workouts and not eat junk. Hope I can help inspire you to lose weight. Currently I am having a bad week. I must have sprained my ankle last week. But I overlooked the pain and kept working out. Well today, I have a very swollen ankle. So after school, it is off to Urgent Care to get it checked out. I hope it is just a sprain and not something else.
Hope everyone else is having a wonderful day! I will check back in with you all later.
Kerry
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #10  
KAR

I have a quick question for you all. Can a swollen ankle make you heavier at your weigh-ins? I have TOPS tomorrow night and I am concerned that I might weigh in heavier with my swollen ankle. Thanks for you advice in advanced.
Kerry
Old 11-15-2004, 10:40 PM   #11  
KAR

Well the doctor seems to think that it is a sprain and I have to try to stay off my foot and keep it elvated. Plus I am not allowed to workout for a few days. That is going to kill me. I am also on medicine to take the swelling out of my ankle. So that is what is new with me.
Gotta go and get some sleep.
Take care,
Kerry
Old 11-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #12  
burned out bus driver

Gee, I am sorry to be MIA.........up to my eyeballs (this is new?????) and just too much to do. Welcome Kim! I am Ginny, the resident bus driver here (complete with a college education, but happy driving my critters around!) Sorry not to get more personal but the stupid phone has been ringing off the wall, and I have not had the chance to post as I thought I would. Congrats on the 1# Robyn!!! You trying any of those WW strategies? Kerry- sorry about the ankle. Mouse- I agree, I would mention the fatigue to the Dr..... Summer- oh, please tell Susie Homemaker to get out of the house and face reality......she must have only one child or her kids live in an aseptic bubble.....who would possibly think of allowing kids to paint w/o smocks?
Gotta go.....might be back later. See ya!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #13  
burned out bus driver

Kerry- what a big bummer about the ankle......but the problem with soft tissue injury is that if you do not let it get better it will take so much longer to heal. Hang in there, hon, hugs.....I'll be praying for a speedy recovery. I doubt that the sprained ankle could impact your weight immediately, but then who knows? How did the WI go, anyway?

Robyn- ok now sweetie~ you are going to kick this fat off of your body- but you had to make a crack about your weight loss efforts going to the back of the bus???? (as if I need another bus joke?) FYI- I only put kids in the back of the bus that I can trust, and I mean that!!!!! So, on my route good kids get to sit in the back (can't be worrying about them giving cars behind them the middle finger now, can I?). Ok, nuff of the bus stuff...... How are you feeling.....you had such a tough week. Have you had any chance to share memories of your friend with another who knew her?

Kim- being that I did not do you any justice with my hello before, I will try again. It sure is tough trying to juggle school and eating healthy. I'm on WW- one of their BIG strategies is planning.....have that healthy snack (the one that replaces the junk you want to stuff in your face after a day of whining, out of control kids) cut up- packaged and ready for you when you get home. Make a note for yourself-post it on the fridge " My after school snack will be carrots" or whatever.......use that note as a reminder that you can and will overcome that unhealthy urge......and remember what worked for you to overcome the unhealthy eating habit. Also, don't think that a walk has to be a 3 hour marathon, 10-15 minutes is a great start.....a lot of times I do not get one big walk in, but 3 shorties (15 minutes each). That works too. In what part of our great country do you live???

Mouse- I hope you were able to get some shopping done.....I hate shopping, so I understand your frustration with it. Glad you got some pool time in.

Summer- the susie homemaker story makes me want to urp.........the more I read it the more I want to also.......hope your week started out well.

Gee, is tomorrow really Wednesday????? Payday is Thursday......and I have to do some major shopping, as we are having Turkey day here. Dh is taking off next week, which means good news that he will finish the painting ( I did get all but the hallway done- which is 80% of it) but also means he will probably mess up the house incredibly right before company. Thems the breaks, I guess. I hope to get to WW Thursday am, between my morning and afternoon. Might even get to stay for a few minutes of the meeting.....I need a break. KIddies on the bus are starting to whack out........they sense the holidays are not too far off. Where is the Advil when I need it??????
Better get some sleep. See ya tomorrow.
Ginny
Old 11-17-2004, 12:25 PM   #14  
burned out bus driver

"All by myself........don't want to be......all by myself, anymore......"
Hey, where is everyone!!!!!!! Hope Kim, Kerry, Summer, Mouse and Robyn you are doing fine.....just busy. See ya later!
Ginny
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #15  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Sorry I've not been around much. This is quite a week. I am still suffering with my pinched nerves...one in my upper back, and one in my lower back. I have terrible pain at the base of my skull, and I have been fighting a terrible headache all week. This week is parent/teacher conferences, and since I have 34 sets of extremely enthusiastic parents, I have to accomodate them in not only the scheduled time allotted, but also during prep periods, lunch periods, and after school. Meanwhile, the other teachers don't even have back-to-back appointments during the scheduled times. It is nice to have involved parents, but demanding and exhausting too. Unfortunately, during this BUSY week at school, DD's having "family week" at her school. I had wanted to attend "family night" last night, but I was not functioning last night. We even used the "homework coupon" her teacher had given her for her birthday so that we wouldn't have to deal with homework last night. I bit my poor sister's head off last night on the phone. I am generally a good-natured person, and my nasty mood seemed to really shock her. But, I couldn't answer questions...I had to just get off the phone. I will call and explain when I'm feeling more like me. I think what might be contributing to my discomfort and cranky mood might be my new diet. I started South Beach Diet on Monday. I have already lost 5 pounds...must be water weight. Anyway, the first two weeks of this diet is ****. Not only no carbs, but no fruit either. I've managed to survive 3 days of this, but God help me for the next 11. Actually, even though I know I shouldn't, I am going off it for Thanksgiving...just that one day, and then back on Friday. I have the choice dieting through the holidays and being pissed. I could not diet at all and gain even more weight. Or I could diet and go off for selected holiday events. I choose the last one, because I think I will still lose weight, just a little slower...better than gaining. In the meantime, I'M IN MAJOR CARBOHYDRATE WITHDRAWAL...AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Hi Kim! WELCOME! Now don't introduce yourself and disappear! We are a very supportive group. I teach public inner city preschool. I am a fourth year teacher. I am married and am the mother of a 7 year-old girl. I've been on Weight Watchers most of the time and did okay, but always put the weight back on. I tried Dr. Phil, and even though I liked his ideas, it didn't work for me. Now, I am on South Beach. The people that I know who have tried it have lost between 30-70 pounds and kept it off. Good luck to you, and please feel free to let it all hang out. We surely do!

Hey Mousie. I hate shopping for clothes these days. For a while I just kept on washing the same 4 pair of pants over and over, but eventually I broke down and bought a bunch of new stuff. I'm hoping that by the summer I will be forced to donate them to Goodwill and take the really nice things to a tailor for altering. What is the latest re: surgery?

Kerry, take care of that ankle...OUCH! I've sprained both ankles a couple of times, not to mention when I broke my left foot. Ibuprofen (Motrin) will help with the inflamation. But mostly, you need to elevate it and STAY OFF IT. I hope you feel better soon. Take it easy.

Ginny, why are men such slobs? When mine was in the hospital, my house was pristine...and I have a kid! I provide him with baskets to keep bills, papers, catalogs, etc. and yet he still leaves piles of stuff on the floor including a pile of stuff that needs to be tossed. Why can't he get a garbage bag and toss the stuff on the floor? He can't answer that question. Good luck with your DH being home. At least the painting will get done.

Robyn, Don't feel bad about allowing your emotions to get you back in trouble. Ever since we got home from Disneyworld, and I found out how bad our money problems were, and then I had the breast cancer scare, I hadn't exercised or dieted. I gained 15 pounds!!! But since Monday, I've exercised daily for 30 minutes and have not cheated on the South Beach Diet. No looking back. Only looking forward at our fabulous and healthy future!!!

I'm dead on my feet. Tomorrow conferences aren't over till 7:30, so my brain will be fried by the time I get home. I'll catch up on Friday!