Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 10:14 AM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Monday Recommitment doesn't involve a strait jacket!

Hi Ladies I will brb I just wanted to paste this from the skinny daily post
On the Sugar Wagon
If you have ever attempted or considered losing more than 10 or 20 pounds, you have likely discovered the connection between sugar and your extra weight. We’ve long ago let go of that silly old idea that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

The calories in, calories out equation still works for us, but the quality of the calories we take in, it turns out, are much more important than we used to think for our health and for managing our weight. While cutting back on calories, making your remaining calories as nutritious as possible is critical for your health and critical for control.

Sadly, the addictive nature of certain kinds of non-nutritious foods makes them doubly dangerous for people who are working to maintain or lose weight.

Which brings me to this past weekend, when I had every opportunity to win my battle against sugar, but managed, somehow, to lose it anyway. I had all the right options, great food to choose instead of the sweet stuff, plenty of delicious veggies, legumes, light proteins prepared and presented to me. I had friends and family around who would have swept away anything that made me feel weak, had I asked.

But I didn’t ask. I ate.

And no, I didn’t indulge in a bite or two of a favorite treat. And I didn’t enjoy one whole serving of a lovely dessert only to get right back on my eating program the next day. This wasn’t a reasonable sort of indulgence. Over the past few days of parties and play, I consumed more sugar than I have in the entire previous year.

The sugar was accompanied by obscene amounts of salt, of course (these days sweet packaged food is highly salted and salty packaged food is highly sweetened to double or triple their addictive power), so I’m having a hard time typing this morning, my fingers achy and heavy with retained fluids, my brain dull in a baffling cloud, the morning-after effects of a sugar binge.

What bothers me more than the same old stuff that always bothers me in these situations— remembering that I don’t have control over certain foods, that I never will, that I have to be smarter, that I’m not like other people — is knowing that it will take days now to remove this stuff from my system, and during these days I’ll be craving sugar and sweet stuff. The cravings will occupy a chunk of my brain that would come in handy this week for other things.

So, right now the Halloween candy we didn’t need is talking to me from its plastic container in the freezer (That’s supposed to deter me, but what is better than frozen candy?). My mind has remapped my route to work, highlighting the drugstores and gas stations and grocery stores and video rental places where candy is sold.

But wait where could I possibly be today where there wouldn’t be candy? There are vending machines at my workplace, my clients’ workplaces, at the doctors’ offices I’ll visit with my parents today. I can find candy while shopping at the stationers, at the butcher’s. There’s candy in the waiting room when I get my oil changed. Candy at school. Candy at church. Candy at the drycleaners. Candy at the vet’s office.

I see candy bars. They’re everywhere. (Can you imagine the world freely offering other addictive substances the way we do candy? I’m imagining cute little holiday baskets of airline vodka bottles on the edges of receptionists’ desks. Or perhaps a nice bowlful of oxycontin on the teacher’s desk. Complementary cocaine after dinner?)

I know I need just two or three days without sugar (and its cousin, refined grains) in my diet before I’ll have some control over it again. It takes that long, and only that long, for my body to let go of the cravings. Once they’re gone, I can travel through my day again without seeing through buildings to the nearest vending machine, without ideas of candy and cookies inserting themselves into my thoughts mid-sentence, mid-breath.

And best of all, I can write without the mind-scrambling effect that sugar has on me.

I hate having a sugar binge this early in the season. But maybe there is a silver lining. By losing it early, perhaps this correction, the one that begins today, will carry me right past Thanksgiving and at least half way through the year-end holidays.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #2  
Eve's Mom

MOrning Kier! I liked this one too - I have been thinking of going onto Core so since this is teh start of a new week I am going on it! Today is the first. OH and at WI Sat I was down 2.5, so I must have been doing some water retention (yay!). I am going to change my ticker.

Today is the OBGYN. I am nervous. I don't want an internal, but who knows, since it's my first visit I might be lucky! My sister is going with me since my husband has worked all weekend getting out a stupid construction package (he's an engineer) and cant get away for a couple of hours. (not if I want to see him before bed, that is!).

Well, I had my hair cut off Saturday. I hate it. It's like Rachels on friends when she cut it off a few seasons ago. A cross btw her and Scully from Xfiles. WAY shorter than I wanted it. It does bring out teh highlights, though. Man, I cried on Sat night. I hate that feeling, like you are stuck!

OK I have to run - come out and play!!!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:13 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Gorgeous:
Don't worry about your hair its going to grow back before you know it. . .But I hate when "stylists" take it upon themselves to determine your length
I had one i was goign to for years until she decided to give me bangs I HATE BANGS on me that ended a 10 year relationship Hair is important luckily it grows fast
a big hug to you lady
I went to the gyn this weekend Changed my BC and Found out I have some infection which is probably the reason i have been getting so sick the pills kick my arse tho
You know what pissed me off tho For the Weigh in they wouldn't let me take off my shoes Which I've weighed mind you and there about 4 pounds (they have alot of support and technology inside them) they wouldn't let me empty my bladder or balance myself on the darn thing before they started moving the counterweights.
I know I was retaining water b/c I took 3 bc on Thursday b/c tom was so bad and I took 2 on friday. I was not pleased with the # But I'm goign to weigh in later this and see what the real damage is.
Sunday we went to New Hope PA rode a steam train, (DH is a train nut) and walked around and had a fabu dinner at this restaurant that was established in 1792
I had amazing salmona nd we split a dessert. then we went too MIL too see the trick or treaters and I HAD NO CANDY!
coem out and play!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #4  
Running Babe

Morning all,

Had a very busy weekend and for some reason I am in a bad mood today (which is weird because TOM has just ended). Anyway, I have a short week! I am taking Thursday and Friday off so that should be good.

As for Halloween Candy I did really well, I had 3 boxes of mini-smarties yesterday and one box on Friday. Keep in mind I am absolutely surrounded by Candy right now, so I consider this a victory. The box on Friday was essential too because I before it, was one point under my min. No sugar binges so yah me! Oh Sat night wasn't the best, I had a few oed'ueves at the party I was at and one mini-O'henry, but you know what? I never felt out of control and that's important for me. So no, not my best weekend, but no where near my worst either.

Belle: if you're really bothered by your haircut, you could always go back to the salon and say you weren't satisfied, they may give you a discount on your next cut and some salons will redo the work. Don't worry, I got a bad haircut in may (I didn't go back though I admit), it does grow out and you know what, it probably looks fine. The way my life is now there is no way I could do core, but that's okay... points is working for me.

Kierie: heya, hope you're doing well!

Cheers!

Ali
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #5  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Hi!

Good morning, ladies! Last week was a week from **** and I didn't get to post, I'm so glad it's over. Today, though, I'm in a really bad mood because of stuff at work. My co-workers are mad at me because I didn't go with them to a party. The thing is, they don't understand what it's like to hate yourself so much that you don't want to leave the house. And how do you explain it to them? Besides, I know the people who were having it, and they didn't invite me in the first place, so really I don't see what the big deal is. Sometimes, I swear they just like to pick on me.

Anyway, because I simply cannot stand another weekend like this one--I wanted to go, but just couldn't because I'm ashamed of myself--I'm really going to get going. I feel like crap when I climb the three flights of stairs to my apartment, and I'm the heaviest girl in both of my college classes. I can't continue to feel like this.

Kier--Thanks for sharing the Skinny Daily Post today. It's so reassuring that someone who has been so successful can have trouble behaving, too. It sounds like you had a nice weekend, I'm glad for you.

Belle--Yay about your WI! That's wonderful!! And I bet your hair looks better than you think it does--plus, you're gorgeous and can pull off just about any look.

Ali--Yay for you, resisting the Halloween candy over-doing temptation this weekend, especially maintaining the feeling of being in control! Hope your short week goes great!!

OK, I gotta get some work done. At least if I'm busy, I won't be bothered by the girls here not speaking to me. See ya!
Old 11-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Jess I have been there in fact i visited depression/self loathing for the last 2 weeks. Its a hard place to leave but theres no pool and the amenities suck so you donn't want to be there for too long
Party-wise I understand why you didn't go and I'm not sure I would have gone
But Part of me wants you to have gone had a great time and when you saw the b word who's party it was you just pretended she wasn't there and had a kickass time
I always ahve revenge fantasies on behalf of my friends.
if you are the biggest girl in your classes you won't be there for long and btw (insert *****y tone here) those other girls probably don't eat or if they do it probably doesn't stay in their stomachs long
You are amazing from the top of you head to your baby toe and to quote my mom when she said it to me "Booboo, You have more pizazz in your pinky, than most people have in their bodies"
I realized somethign To successfully change your body in the long run you have to make peace with it. I'm workign on that.
coworker wise if they aren't talking to you they are petty $%@#%^%^#
Ali you did well this weekend! great job not binging!
OH! I AHVE SCRAPBOOKIGN STUFF!!!!! now I just need my photos lol
bbiab
Old 11-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #7  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Just a reminder

For our American members
I dont care who you vote for but tommorrow Get your collective cute buns to the polls and elect whichever you prefer
Love
Kierie
Old 11-01-2004, 02:03 PM   #8  
Eve's Mom

Jess- I am with Kier on this too. ANd I have been there too. In fact, often I dont' go b/c of self image issues, and now add the bad hair - two people have made rude comments to me today, incl. that beeyatch I told you about on Friday, and my so-called friend. I feel terrible. And I was already gun-shy.

To let you know you are not alone, I'll tell you what the beeyatch said to me on Friday. She was talking to me about a cruise she went on a few weeks ago. and how there were so many obese people on it. And then she says, they were so obese that even I would feel thin in thier presence. THat was how fat they were. She went on and on and finally I left. That was at the end of the day and I felt horrible all weekend. I was crying over it - I felt like I was in Grade four again and being teased for being a fat kid.

Today she made that snidy about my hair and you know, I nearly lost it. I feel so insecure and ugly right now. I really do.

But it won't stop me. I am counting and OP today and I won't let her set me back.

Well, that's it for me. Off to the OBGYN in 2 hours...
Old 11-01-2004, 02:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

hi, my name is Aimee and I'm addicted to sugar.. which is why I haven't been posting as much lately.. I'm totally off the diet thing.. I just wanna eat pizza and drink pop (TOM is approaching). I'm considering trying the low carb crap thing again, and I say "crap thing" because sugar and wheat actually make me sick.. and I don't want to give them up.. really really don't wanna.. will you guys still love me if I quit WW and do low carb instead? heh I'm getting tired of feeling like crap, and I have found that if I let up on myself.. I just go back to those carbs over and over again.. for example, I eat a muffin and have coffee for breakfast everyday that I work.. bad bad *spanks myself*

Belle - what a cow! I hate it when people talk about other people's weight in a mean way.. I wanna beat them to a pulp!

I'll bbs..
Old 11-01-2004, 03:08 PM   #10  
Running Babe

Belle: Take care, we're all here for you. Some people just suck, what can I say. Why can't some people keep their opinions to themselves.

Jess: Another is needed I think and same for you Kierie and another one for Aimee .

Anyway girls, I am so sorry that all of you have been struggling as of late, I think a lot of people are. I certainly haven't been 100% either and October was a hard month for me (nope turning 27 was fine).

Aimee: if you want to do low-carb that's fine by me, just don't go down to zero carb, make sure it's something you can live with.

Cheers y'all and take care!

Ali
Old 11-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #11  

zero carb is evil.. plus I have IBS, so that would hurt my body... I was just thinking of having mainly lean meat, veggies and some nuts. No artificial sweetners, no sugar, less caffiene (I love coffee too much), staying away from fruit for the first little while... I might keep potatos.. but definitely not corn (which is bad for anyone with IBS anyways). I'll be eating a lot of salad's and steamed veggies.. and it's healthy by any standards.. sometimes it feels a little extreme.. but my body needs SOME kind of detox.. I've been putting too much bad things into it.. and it hurts! I think it's a good idea.. and I'm always trying to quit sugar.. I just feel torn.. I'll miss my fast foods ..from the bakery, the sushi place.. ohh the coffee shop.. lol.. I'll have a lot more money thats for sure! I should find a way to incorporate low carb into WW, and attempt to make this a lifestyle change.. right? Part of this little thing has come from recent talks I've had with people... quite a few people have told me that I won't keep off any weight loss unless I exercise. And I just don't have time for exercise in my life right now.. I DO walk everyday, but just on the way to work... doesn't feel like exercise.. I'm babbling..

Ali - thanks You are right, it IS a hard time of year.. it's so blah outside here, raining and raining.. and I'm sure a little SADD is bothering me.. I need to kick it in its butt! no more treating myself! I find if I can focus on christmas it helps me, because my focus shifts from me to others... I love love love christmas

Jess - I feel like the largest girl anywhere (even though I'm not).. but just that you are talking about it make you a better person.. you are aware of your weight, and not in denial.. I'm *sure* you are a beautiful person on the inside and out.. it's just a matter of time (because with weight loss, time is the only thing that helps). Keep tackling weight watchers and before you know it you will be comfortable with your weight.. we are here to support you!!

Belle - I'm jealous you can pull that haircut off!! My hair just has to much darn body and half curls... grrr!! I'm coming to terms with my hair and have recently developed a long (for me.. past my shoulders) sexy goddess hair style.. I attribute it to my new hair products (brilliant brunette line). Give it time.. it'll either grow.. or you'll love it. If you need styling tips (I love love hair!! ) just let me know
Old 11-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #12  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm Back

OK, had a heart-to-heart with the girls here at work. I explained that I'm simply too ashamed of my body to feel comfortable going out right now. Of course, being the sap that I am, I started crying. They were totally understanding and supportive!!! We're all going to start a little program where we do 30 minutes of exercise a day. So, that had a good outcome. Thanks guys, for being so supportive of me while I whined today.

Aimee--It sounds to me (and I could be wrong here) like you would maybe like the Core Plan. You'd focus on eating lean meats and veggies and good, healthy whole grains (like brown rice and whole wheat pasta). Actually, what you're thinking of is kind of what I'm doing right now in hopes of killing sugar cravings. Wish me luck!!

Belle--I think you should complain to your boss about that skank at work. Maybe if your boss says something to her about comments that are inappropriate for the workplace, she'll think twice about running her mouth like that. Or, you could just say to her "I can lose weight and my hair will grow, but you'll always be nasty." And then slap her. (Or not). (Or just once for me).

OK, still have work to do. See you guys later!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:11 PM   #13  

Jess - I totally believe in eating whole grains and whole wheat bread and pasta.. but the unfortunate part of me is that I'm still allergic to wheat.. so it's still painful. I'd kill not to have to deal with the health things I deal with.. mostly just allergies to food. I looked at the core program.. and it isn't right for me.. I believe that I can work not having bad carbs into a regular WW program though.. that way I still keep my calories in a good range. I'm glad you talked to the gals at work.. and it had a great outcome

Okay, I have to complain.. and then go back to my recluse-self.. this morning I got a call at 9:30am asking me to go out for lunch to an all you can eat sushi (all you can eat anything makes my stomach turn.. it's just not right), I said I didn't have the money for it, but asked my "friend" if she'd like to come to the mall with me to do a little christmas shopping for my boyfriend (I've worked my BUTT off and have about 140 bucks so far to buy him stuff with). She said alright. Anyways, it's now 3:10, she's nowhere to be found. She msged me online at 11:30 and said she'd be back in 15 minutes.. this is why I hate people! They are SO unreliable, so flakey, and SO FRICKING ANNOYING! If she had been honest and said that she didn't want to go shopping with me, I could have figured something else to do with my damn day, or SOMETHING.. but it's now after 3pm and I've waste my whole damn day. Not to mention it's hailing out, which means I can't exactly go out (it wasn't earlier when I had origionally thought to go out). I'm just whining.. but GRRRRRRRRR! I am nothing but a good fricking friend to her, and this is what I get... okay, enough complaining! I am going to clean my house today, and try and be a little productive!

Keep on keeping! (don't know where that came from )

-Aimee
Closed Thread