South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #1  

Unhappy Plateau - Getting Depressed

I've been stuck at 196-197 for the last 2 1/2 going on 3 weeks. I'm starting to get frustrated. I've been chugging 72 oz of water a day at MINIMUM!, I'm busting my butt at the gym, and I'm not seeing any sort of light at the end of the tunnel that I'll ever break 196 by Thanksgiving even. I've been motivated since I've started SBD. I think I've had pretty good success.. but this is really getting me down. My mum made a whole batch of chocolate chunk cookies, and I was so close to sitting down with the whole plate and eating every last crumb. I cheated about 2 1/2 weeks ago, (some of you may remember that post).. I went back up to 200, but that came right back off in a few days.. back down to 196. Am I being punished for cheating once in 3 months? I did Phase I for a few days afterwards, maybe I should have done the whole 2 week ordeal.

I stopped making pudding (because I tend to go overboard with that) I've layed off apples with pb bc I wasn't sure if I was putting too much pb on them. And I've been pretty strict with dairy servings (dairy is my favourite).

$$ Is affecting me too. I'm going grocery shopping almost every 2 weeks, and grabbing other little things in between. My parents and brother aren't on the SBD - so in addition to other bills, I no longer have the luxury of eating just whatevers in the house. (and before starting SBD, I"ve NEVER cooked.. that's been a journey on it's own )

I just need some motivation. Working so hard and not seeing results (measurements wise either), it's almost making me wonder if my body is on to my evil plan of getting thin.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:49 PM   #2  

Firefly, you have done so well but you may need to be more patient. I've plateau'd for three weeks or more myself and I always have managed to break it. Why don't you try entering your food into Fit Day or give us a daily menu and let us see if we see something.

If I'm stuck and I'm exercising enough and drinking my water then it usually is that I have been getting to many starches or grains and not enough veggies but it might be different for you.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:16 PM   #3  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Firefly >>>>>HUG<<<<<

Ok, I know this sucks. Like a huge hoover vacuum cleaner at the motivation of your soul. First, let's talk about how far you've come - 230 to 196 is awesome. BUT you've come father in so many other ways:

-You are in control of your food. Food is not in control of you.
-You decided not to cheat with those chocolate chunk cookies, even though it was tempting (heck I'm tempted and I'm not even near them).
-You are an exercise machine! You have bigger lungs, larger capillaries, lower blood pressure. Your body loves you for what you've given it.
-You didn't give up. Even when you had to learn to cook (gasp!), even when there were obstacles like family with other eating habits. You made a CHOICE to be a healthier and happier human being.

Now, for some things to take your mind off of this:
-For the love of god, measure yourself. With the amount of exercise you've been doing, I'm thinking you plateued because of muscle, baby! Lean, stong, muscle.
-Journal. If you already journal, look at your old journals. Look at how far you've come mentally. If you haven't got a journal, it's time to start one. Even if you only come to it when you hit a plateau, you'll be glad to look back and say, "Wow, and I overcame that."

GO BABY GO! YOU CAN DO IT!
Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #4  
RNMOM

Default What they said!

I feel so bad for you! Don't let it get you down...try hard anyway. Your scales are going to start surprising you soon, hang on!!!!! I live for my scales way too much.

You've come such a long way and have really overcome some hurdles. The guilt afterward isn't worth it!
Old 10-30-2004, 09:32 PM   #5  

You have done a superb job so far with your weight loss.. a plataeu for three weeks would be upsetting... Like Jessica said so beautifully keep up the positive attitude and you will be successful in the end.

Perhaps with the exercise, maybe you could do some more strength training or vary the routine and do something totally new. Instead of going to the gym, go for a bushwalk with a pack on your back or run on the soft sand at the beach (if any of these things are around you) Funnily enough I used to be a triathelete (many moons ago), and whenever my training had stalled a bit, it was best to get out of the gym and try something totally new to shock the system a bit.

I wish you many blessings for overcoming this obstacle.
Old 10-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #6  

Default I feel better now!

Artemis02 - If I lived near the beach I'd love to do that.. I'm waiting for it to snow and then I'll go trudging through that for a walk. I'm starting something extra in addition to my normal workout, I'm going to do some Yoga.. I've done Pilates and I think some relaxing Yoga would be good . Thanks for the support, I know a plateau isn't forever, but like you said, it's upsetting. Thanks again!

RNMOM - Thankyou so much for your kind words I'm going to hide my scale for a week, and do Phase II very strictly and with extra exercise. If I'm still stuck next week, I'll go do Phase I

Goddess Jessica - That was extremely well said, and thankyou! I'm going to print that and hang it on my fridge, .. I'm not weird, I just have pictures of healthy women in random spots in my house.. and that reply I can tell would be a great motivation! Thanks for helping me think more positively!

Barb0522 - That's a wonderful idea.. I tried fitday but sometimes I'm just too busy. I'm going to carry a small notebook with me, and write things down. After a few days I'll let you guys see what I'm eating. thanks for the great advice
Old 10-31-2004, 01:59 AM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Firefly - You made me blush! Thank you.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:18 AM   #8  

I have been where you are at and it is no fun. I have been stuck for weeks at a time and then all of a sudden---ahhh--- the scale moves and I jump around the house singing all day long. I am a big one on thinking "heck if I wasn't doing SBD my weight would be going up a # a week so I am that much better off"-HA. Muscle of course weighs more than fat so that could be the entire reason the scale is not moving but in the long run that muscle will speed up your metabolism and you will see results. Hang in there, I know it is hard, and try to focus on the small non scale victories like overcoming those cookies. Could you have done that before SBD? Heck, there would have been a # gained for me right there. Hide that scale for a week or 2 and keep on doing what you are doing. It will eventually move.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #9  

Hi Firefly, I can understand where you are right now. I've been stuck since the first few days of October. Bouncing around a lot, but never getting to my lowest point on the scale, let alone past it. I found my motivation waning and temptation to blow it all was like a little devil sitting on my shoulder. Fortunately the little angel was whispering in my other ear and suggested:

- keep track on Fitday or a journal for a reality check
- double check portion sizes
- eat slower and stop for a bit of conversation (or tv) before reaching for a 2nd serving (still reach for it if hungry after the break)
- Change exercise routines - time of day, duration, intensity, type
- be patient.

I broke through my plateau this morning after trying these things last week. Hope something there helps you too.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Here's a very good thread from a couple months ago.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45346

I am a slow loser. I try to make myself content with the fact that I've not gained any weight. In the past when I stop losing I'd get discouraged and go raid the store for some stuff to make a big batch of chocolate chip cookies with real butter and eat most of the batter and then eating the cooked cookies with cool whip and ice cream, throw in a frozen pizza and eat until I popped and then wonder why I didn't lose any weight on that diet, continuingly putting myself down for my lack of self control and worthlessness.

Now, I accept that I'm not losing weight. I stay eating good foods and be thankful that I have lost the weight I have lost and I am not going to return to the weight I was in January. I enjoy the occasional treat and don't go over board (most of the time-maybe a quarter of a fresh pineapple might not have been the best choice the other night )

Think about how far you have come. You have lost many pounds, you are eating healthy, making good food choices. You are learning how to eat properly and hey, in the 3 weeks you've not lost anything, you also have not gained anything.

Fitday is a wonderful tool to see what's going on with your eating. Maybe take just a day or two to actually measure how many vegetables you are eating, just to make sure you are getting---what is it? at least 2 1/2 cups a day? I forget. I use the gladlock/ziplock boxes because it says on the bottom how many cups it holds. It makes it easier to make sure I"m getting the vegetables.

Don't let the discouragement get you down. We all struggle with it and eventually the weight will come off again.
Closed Thread