PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 AM   #1  

Default My Intro

Hello! I recently posted in the "Buddy Up" forum about not being sure where to go & was directed here. Here's the intro I posted there:

I am Michelle,a SAHM & beginning homeschooler to 2 girls (5 & 2). Growing up I was skinny & active with no need to worry about weight. After getting married (15 years ago) the weight began to creep up a little when I got on the Pill & then I got pretty sick (Legionnaire's Disease) & after recovering I seemed to just grow & grow. I eventually was diagnosed with PCOS by one doc, but the RE that I went to for help conceiving my children said I was a "mild case" & only suggested lifestyle changes to begin with. None of my blood work was out of "acceptable" ranges. Fast forward to now & I weigh 210 (I'm 5'7"). I just can't seem to get my want-to going either. It seems like such a long way to go. For my body shape I *think* I should weigh about 140, but I'm not sure. I am now on blood pressure medication for mild hypertension. AGH! I want to get healthy & be a good example for my girls. I have ordered some of The Firm DVD's. I used to do the tapes pre-kids & I got in okay shape, but I didn't change my eating habits & didn't lose much actual weight. I also have a pretty good treadmill, but yet again my want-to seems to be lacking. I am also a carb/sweet junkie & would choose them over fruits/veggies any day.

I have been wondering if doing some type of diet program online would help me with my accountability. I'm not sure which way to go. I know I eat emotionally & I know I need to change my life or I am headed for a lifetime of health problems. For some reason today I am SO depressed about the whole thing. I got on the scale this morning & it was a solid 210, not 207.9 or 208.6, but *really* 210. How do I get my starting point going? I feel a little hopeless right now. I'm sorry. I am whining. I hope to find some support here. Sorry if this post seems long-winded.
Michelle
mamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 03:44 PM   #2  
225/202/185

Hey Michelle! I just posted a reply to your post in my post. (Got all that?) :-D
rumpleteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 02:31 AM   #3  
Rattie Lover

WELCOME, MICHELLE!!

We're glad yer here!!!

I usually post more but my arm/shoulder is killing me from hauling rocks for 4 hours so..Hello and welcome. Feel free to join us in our monthly chat thread. Just click on the link below to get there.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47387
Noodles913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:59 AM   #4  
Gotta move my Thang!

Cool Buck up, camper!

Hi Michelle -

Being prone to depression is also a symptom of PCOS - one I'm familiar with, for sure. I think you're in the right place, if what I've been reading is any indication. (I'm a Newbie myself, see my intro elsewhere...)

I've been going to the gym, and I have found that all the blah-blah I've heard about aerobic exercise helping with depression really seems to be true. Since I've been getting some aerobics at least every other day, I find I'm more upbeat, and even when I'm having a horrible day, blown my diet all to heck, or whatever, I can say "well, at least I moved my body for half an hour in the last 48 hours." It's an act of will to start, but once you get into a groove, it's less hard.

Good luck!
Kim
solarmama is offline   Reply With Quote