Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-25-2004, 07:50 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL #176 - Week of Oct. 15 - 31

Good Morning LWL!

I woke up this morning slightly stuffy, but am off to the gym in a few moments. I've had a few clients with sniffles last week, and despite lots of hand washing, the bug seems to ave gotten me. I'm sure once I fully wake up, I'll feel better as well.

Cindy- The headaches seem to be pretty classic with ultra low carb diet. Your brain's favorite fuel is glucose, and it's not getting a quick supply. Usually they don't last more than a week as you switch over to metabolizing the glucose from fat rather than carbs. Also detoxing from sugar has the same effect. Remember the "Monday" feeling after a BFL free day on Sunday? It should get better as you add a few clean carbs to your diet.

Short post- gotta run to the gym!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Mornin' Girls!!

It feels good not to work or rush out for an appointment today! It seems since August or when school started I haven't had a free Monday... But today it is and I am taking full advantage of it by cleaning stuff I just haven't been able to get around to...

Today is leg day, I'll share later how it went...

TTFN ... Let's be careful out there this week !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good afternoon from Britain. I'm back from the gymn and admired my biceps doing their work. Thanks, Sheila53, for putting the idea in my mind - and many congrats on seeing your own muscle. It's a brilliant feeling. Food has been rather off course and this really lifted me!

I'm going to try to be careful out there, Ilene, but sometimes ... I just have to be a bit risky! Is it the adrenaline, I wonder? Perhaps if I'm topped up with endorphins I'll be a bit more sensible. More cardio, then.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Monday morning! I'm off today too. I do love the quiet of a Monday off. However, I have sooo many things I could be doing because I have a day off during business hours AND I'm all alone with the washer, dryer, broom, vaccuum, dust rag ... I don't know where to start. So here I sit at the computer ....

I flubbled over the weekend so I'm not sure what day it is. But I've not done a real legs workout with my new weights. Maybe I'll get something to eat, go for a walk, do some housekeeping and do legs before lunch. That'd work.

If I can still walk, I'll go to the feedmill this afternoon and park real close to the barn to unload
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Happy Monday all! Had a great weekend, started SB (again) along with BFL and am keeping my fingers crossed that the combo will yield some results. I generally eat low carb so I don't think the SB will affect me much in terms of headaches, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for the weight loss. I have a colonoscopy coming up in a month, and because of the anesthetic, I would like my weight down as much as possible.

Did upper body yesterday, treadmill today, and hopefully will start at the gym tomorrow night with lower body machines. Am looking forward to it.

Did a lot of wall scrubbing yesterday as well, prepping my bathrooms before painting. It is a real bear, as whoever wallpapered previously did it directly on wall board with no primer, so the paste doesn't slide off, it grips the wall board, and I can't wet the board too much or it will warp. Pain in the you know what.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Nelie, thanks for the potato salad suggestion. I have cauliflower left over from stir fry and think I will try it. It sounds really good.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:32 AM   #6  

I spent Saturday closing up the summer cottage and I am not as strong as I thought, while lifting the washing machine, in case of high storm waters, I think I really overdid it. Overall, I am ok, just taking it easy on the weights this week and maybe do some extra work on the rowing machine.

NELIE - Love the new picture, it looks so like you are making such progress, I see the digits going down down down. Glad to see you are recovered from whatever you had last week. and those pounds you are pushing, I am so impressed. If you like cauliflower and brocoli, combine the flowers of both, flower sides pressed into a metal colander, and steam in the colander with a plate pushed down by a heavy can until done, I put carrot sticks or red peppers for a real festive look, the stems are chopped up and put into the middle. When it is all cooked the way you like, you unmold onto a serving plate, it really looks nice the green and white with red/orange. One of my favorites.

I did catch up with some sleep this weekend, but not as much as I needed to, I keep seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I am only working today and Tuesday, and off the next two days, though I do think I need to come in on Friday, a couple of hours only.

SUSANB - Laughing about the 20 mintues becoming 30 with the music while working out, I have the same thing happen while listening to the news, I have to hear the one last story. And of course, here in Boston, we have the Red Sox and Patriot's doing so well, and we had the Head of the Charles, big rowing regatta, I am actually watching the sports. Picturing the carry out guy with your weights out in the parking lot.

LAURA - I know what you mean. I look around at people who are doing school, work and family and wonder what am I sitting around for???

DD and I are going to make some spaghetti squash tomorrow night, she is fascinated with the whole idea, she just can't get her mind around it. It is kind of funny. We bought the pumpkins this weekend, so the weights did prove to be useful as I was choosing which big boy I wanted for my own.

CINDY - The headaches while lowcarbing sometimes are the water levels in your brain, so keep an eye on that. I am fortunate that I don't seem to get them.

MEL - good for you on the wobble board, I just can't do that yet, walking a straight line is enough challange.

ARTMAKER - You and I are combining BFL with lowcarbing, good luck. Your bathroom walls sound like my kitchen walls, I am still washing off the wallpaper glue, they must have used two buckets of the stuff, great upper workout though, I was really happy when my husband said he had to take down the wall behind the fridge, temporary location, and replace it with wall board, one less wall to wash.

The office heat is now off after being over 85 last week, I hate to complain, who knows what I will have next.

I am putting the scale away for a couple of weeks, it is not helping me and I am getting too fixated on it for signs of success again. I can't believe I lived over two years with no scale in my house.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 05:44 PM   #7  
Meg

Hey Pookster! You scamper that cute little butt back in here and STAY awhile, OK? We miss you around these parts!

Glad to hear you're back on your Gazelle -- and wowzers on the 90 pounds gone! Are you finding that the Gazelle is easier for you now that you've lost so much weight? Do you have more stamina these days? (of course, I know you're still recovering from the surgery so you're still taking it slow and easy )

On the cottage cheese concoction, there's an old, old Weight Watchers recipe that you might try: don't know if you're eating any bread at all, but it's cottage cheese, cinnamon, and sweetener (like Splenda), spread on a slice of bread (maybe something whole-grain?). You broil it under the broiler in your oven until it's warm and bubbly. It tastes kind of like a cheese Danish. The consistency of the cottage cheese doesn't change the way that yours did in the microwave.

Since you like the Hood LC yogurt -- have you tried the Hood low-carb smoothies? They're high protein too and very good (I think). 100 calories, 13g protein, 4g carbs.

Soooooo happy to see you around!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:01 PM   #8  
Mel

POOKIE! It's fantastic to see you here again. COngratulations on being up and back on that gazelle. Please hang around here!

My favorite cottage cheese recipe is to dice a small apple, sprinkle it with cinnamon and splenda, then nuke until it's like pie filling consistency. Dump your cottage cheese over the very hot apple and stir.

Today was a tough back workout. My knee is still swelling, and I had to stop the ibuprophen due to more minor surgery on Thursday. I was amazed to find how many "parts" were being helped by that ibuprophen!

Clean eats today, 1 meal to go, then up to bed with a book.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Hey Pookster/Gym Hamster!! Happy to see you back here for a change, I've missed that smilling face!

Sugar! Lifting a washing machine! Even I'm not that ...

SusanB -- I took looked at the vacuum, at the dust, at the broom, the only really productive thing I did do was wash the curtains in our bedroom and hang them outside... It smelled to fall-time fresh!!

silver -- Endorphin is the sensible adrenaline isn't it??

I had a really good leg workout this afternoon, I went back later too with DS for abs and calves, no cardio today! Food was spot on!!

All is good.... Tomorrow more of the same I'm not working again YAY ...
Old 10-25-2004, 08:21 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Mel -- Hope you feel better soon!!! We were posting at the same time...
Old 10-26-2004, 09:49 AM   #11  

I am really tired, so I skipped this morning workout and plan to get to bed early tonight. I really hope I am not coming down with something, my husband just finished up his drugs for his pneumonia and I just want everyone healthy for at least the weekend.

I wasn't lifting the washing machine by myself, just I don't usually take the motor side. My other problem is that I lift with people who are taller than me. I tend to compensate for the height with using my back more than my legs. I am feeling much better though and still pushing the water. (my family laughs at me, I think water cures most anything)

Meetings meetings and more meetings today, then I am off for two days, yeah. So looking forward to that, me and the sewing machine and one fairy princess costume to go.

Food is a mess, but I have done worse. I just have to remember what I want more. I have to restart BFL, I just haven't gotten into it like I want to be.

Last edited by Sugar Cube; 10-26-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I typed a chatty upbeat note and lost it
So here's a second try. I don't remember what I said about cleaning ... something about putting my curtains in the dryer then having to pin the hem when I hung them back up. There should be a needle and thread around here somewhere.
Oh and Mel? ... ibuprophen is my friend.
Welcome to Pookie, I like that name.
Sugarcube ... I'm so glad my kids are big now. I don't have to lift furniture with my husband any more. He's too tall!
I do remember that I posted my legs from yesterday. I did squats, hanging calf raises, lunge walk and SLDL's. Then I read that someone used 40 lbs for SLDL's, so I did some more ... as to reps ... it didn't take long. At bedtime I was kind of antsy so I did abs. I have a new admiration for reverse crunches.
Today I can feel everything from my ribs to my toes. Pretty proud of that. Feels good.
Food was right on up until I took #2 son to work and bought Skor Bar icecream. I guess my muscles were hungry
It's really foggy here today but I might go for a walk anyway. Kinda smells good.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #13  

Just a quickie...
Pookie and Meg, I LOVE the Hood Yogurt and Smoothies. I have them both fairly regularly. I am eating the Blueberry yogurt right now. Great source of calcium and Protein without the sugar. Food has been pretty good the last couple days. As we know, this is where I struggle....
XO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #14  

Hey there ladies!

I had a victory ... got a ventolin puffer to help with breathing problems, and my cardio exercising was a breeze!! I am officially a lot fitter than I thought, LOL.

Only thing holding me back was sore legs. I did a legs day yesterday, I know, but my legs are sore a lot of the time. Annoying
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Default Day 4 done of 21 day challenge

I am so pleased, but afraid to crow, as I have eaten clean for 4 days...pretty much a record for me. I can stay fairly good...but totally is generally beyond me. I have tried to stay away from my late night nut habit...but it is oh so hard.

Sugarcube, hope you are feeling ok. Mel, love the apple/cinnamon/splenda idea, thanks. L2L, Meg, Mel, I have a question...actually for all of you who go to a gym. I just started at Bally last night. Since I haven't met with a trainer yet...will do that on Saturday...I took a weight lifting class for an hour...lots of reps with light weights. It was fun, and I would like to do it again, but is it wise and/or how do I fit it into a normal weight lifting schedule? Aat this point I am planning the BFL schedule of 3 days lifting a week, alternating weeks of UB-LB-UB, then LB-UB-LB, interspersed with cardio. Where can the classes fit in, or should I not do them? Oh wise ones, what should I do?

Also did a yoga class, which was great...focus on lots of stretching, which felt wonderful late at night. I think I am going to really love the gym. Too bad I am also in school three nights a week--cuts into my workout schedule.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Artmaker
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote