Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-23-2004, 10:44 AM   #1  
For my HEALTH...

Last edited by POOKIE88; 06-20-2007 at 01:30 PM.
POOKIE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I started my weight loss journey, I also had to invest in some supplies including a crockpot and george foreman grill. I've had an interesting experience learning how to cook with the crockpot.

As for the george foreman grill, for grilling veggies (zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, yams) it is absolutely great and I think those will be quite edible for you. As for meats, they probably tend to be a little drier/harder to chew when using the GF grill mostly because some of the fat is drained away along with the water. I don't mind it but it might be hard for someone with WLS?

Anyway, congratulations on your weight loss so far Pookie
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 01:15 PM   #3  
Just Me

Thanks Pookie! I can't wait to see your updated photo
Old 10-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #4  

I have all that stuff already. I don't just cook for myself though. I have a big crock pot. I have a bunch of monkey mouths to feed. I prefer my outside grill for grilling. If you go to a camping supply store, you can get a small gas grill that grills better than any that I have ever used. I can't remember the name brand right now, but it has a smoker plate, and it gives the most awsome flavor and keeps the moisture in.

I have a George Forman grill, and I hardly ever use it, partly because it's hard to clean. I saw one on tv a couple of nights ago that is made by Hamilton Beach. All the grilling parts are removable, so that you can put them into the dish washer. If I were going to get one, that would be the one I would get. I wish they would have had something like that before I bought my George Forman grill. My fav. grilling secret is Old Bay seasoning, it tastes so good. Wow, I'm amazed that you didn't have a microwave. I thought everyone in the world had one. I don't know what I would do without mine.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:52 PM   #5  

I love my electric steamer. In fact, when my first one went missing (okay, only part went missing, but that made it obsolete), I got another within days. I wouldn't be without it. It is so easy to prep veggies on shopping day, and just dump a "baggie" of veggies in the steamer while the rest of the meal cooks. We practically lived on casserole type foods before I had WLS, but I don't care for them now. I really prefer my protein and veggies separate. I'll occasionally do a stir fry and mix the veg and protein that way, may even add a little brown rice, but the days of pasta and sauce and everything mixed together are over. I just don't care for it any more. The steamer is fast and easy and healthy.

I tend to dislike appliances and use very few, but this one is a definite must to me.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

we can't eat grilled food??? haven't heard that one before... i'll agree, though, that early postops probably can't handle it very well... but later it's just fine. however, i've found that i can't eat well done meat. gag gag gag!!!!!

as for cooking, pookie darlin. i used to cook a lot, but i don't any more. i highly recommend take out places that make food the way YOU want to eat it. and if they deliver, that's even better!!!!

if you INSIST on cooking, i find a saute pan and a toaster oven and microwave are just about all i need. i nuke or roast veggies. and saute meat and add some kind of moisture - gravy, broth, worcestershire, some herb concoction or other...

or some already cooked chicken from the grocery store with some veggies or salad.

i find that i do well if i take home a nice doggie bag of protein once or twice a week and then add to it for a meal.

so bottom line, what i'm suggesting is not going overboard on appliances. figure out what your tummy manages well, and what you like to eat, and go on from there. if yuo can't handle grilled food right now, then don't bother getting a grill.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #7  
Just Me

Jiffy, I didn't mean to say I didn't think you guys could have grilled food, it is just that I have found that the George Foreman grill tends to dry out meats more than if you grilled it or cooked it another way. It is good for me since I kind of like my meats a bit dry

Pookie, grilled eggplant is quite yummy but you can also oven grill it kind of by slicing them up and putting them in the oven. Today I made "yam oven fries" instead of grilling yams and they were soooo good. I hope you enjoy your cooking experimentation, I have learned to love to experiment.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #8  

Pookie, you crack me up about the microwave! I think the aftershave that you are thinking of is "Old Spice", silly girl.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 12:18 PM   #9  

Oh Jif, you need to come out to Colorado and I'll restore your joy of cooking. I love cooking! I think one of the reasons I had surgery is because I understand food so well and appreciate it and all it's intricacies. We get along so well! Cooking is so fun and creative, especially because my husband appreciates my culinary efforts.

Anyway Pooky Pucky, one appliance I couldn't live without is my pressure cooker. Love, love, love it. Don't believe all the old stories about them blowing up either. I make many amazing, WET (read easy to get down) things in mine. Last night I made some killer Jambalaya with it. And the great thing is that it cuts way down on traditional cooking times.

One of the things I've come away with after surgery is that I make sure that the food I'm eating is something that I really want to eat. Since I can only hold so much, it better be something worth eating - hence my appreciation for cooking only great stuff.

Have fun Pooky Pucky.

Chicka-IronChef-dee

p.s. Nelie, where are you in Colorado? I'm between Estes Park and Boulder in the foothills.
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote