Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #1  
MrsSandysHouse.com

S/C/G: 212.5/212.5/130ish

Height: 5'7

Question WW vs. Counting calories on your own

Hi! I am new to the WW board. I have a weight issue and am looking for the very best method of losing the weight. I weigh approx. 200 lbs. (5'7) and would love t lose 65-70 pounds. My husband lost 90 pounds simply by counting calories and walking daily. He tells me I should do the same and that I will lose weight. My question is: Isn't counting calories the same method as the WW program? My husband feels that we would be "throwing money away by my joining WW"; that I can do the same thing here at home for free (since he did). I see his point.

Do you agree? Can you please share with me some ideas on the "basics" of the WW program so that I can follow along without having to "join" (just in case we can't come to an agreement)?

Thanks for your input and advice.

Oh...I would also be inspired to hear (and see pictures) how far you each have come with your weight loss and excercise story.

Sandy
Old 10-22-2004, 08:15 AM   #2  
Running Babe

Sandy: We're all different what worked for your hubby may not work for you. Points is a calorie shorthand in a way. It also takes stuff like fat and fiber into account to either increase or decrease the points value. So an 80 calorie apple would be one point since it has a lot of fiber and no fat, while an 80 calorie piece of cheese would be 2 points based on its fat. I also find the WI and group session an invaluable addition to my WL plan.

Anyhoo, I am a little over goal (I have gotten to goal, gained, but am losing again, I had some health issues). I started at 243.3 at a size 18W-22W (depending), now I am a size 8 (wanting to be a six again). I run a lot and plan to get back into Weight training once my gym opens by my house (I moved and a franchise was suppose to open in the summer, looks like next month or so). I love running.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 10-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 212/207/145

Well, it doesn't hurt to try counting calories for a couple of weeks, say 6 weeks, and see how much you lose. I would use www.fitday.com, which is a counting program that is free. If that is working for you, then continue, but if not, try WW. I don't think I am throwing my money away with WW because I am being held accountable by going weekly to the meetings. I am attending all of the support meetings and gaining a wealth of insight about me and why I eat. I am continuously encouraged by the women who are there that have lost 50 lbs to 110 lbs. It is incredible to be surrounded by others that are just like me.

If you aren't into group support, then WW isn't necessary for you. If you need that additional boost from strangers that are in the same boat, then this is the best program you can do.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

I will say that W/W is a calorie counting system to an extent but it also gives you a benefit for a higher fiber item (reduces points up to a max of .8 points) and punishes you for a higher fat item (increases points based on every 12 grams of fat). It makes you think about eating healthier.

Like was stated everyone is different and when I tried calorie counting I found I tended to eat junk and was left unsatisified to an extent when I started with Points I did that to but then turned quickly to whole foods to get more bang and satisifaction for my points.

The formula (and it is public knowledge listed in their patent) is:

POINTS = (calories/50) + (fat grams/12) - (fiber grams <capped at a total available for use at 4 grams>/5)

W/W also has another arm to their program called Core where you can eat until satisified (which is not full or stuffed) on Core Foods with 35 points a week for non Core foods (breads, etc.)....
Closed Thread