South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 04:11 PM   #1  

Default Lightbulb moment...

I have been struggling with my weight for the last 5 years. I have yo-yo'd quite a bit. Before SB, I tried many diets, & had some success, but eventually would gain the wait I had lost... + some. My problem was that I didn't plan and I didn't make it easy on myself. I would buy groceries, with the intention of making "on plan" meals, but often I would get caught up with my hectic schedule & those "on plan" meals would go to waste because I didn't have the energy or time to make them. This would lead to me eating very "blah" "diet" meals. Chicken and salad, chicken and vegetables, etc... Chicken can start tasting like the most disgusting thing if you eat it all the time like I did. This would lead to me having no desire to eat any of my "diet" meals and eventually lead to me going off plan!

So I finally have come to the realization that in order to be successful I have to eat food I enjoy and plan so I can make the preparation of these meals simpler. Wow, what a simple revalation, but what a difference it has made.

For the last two weeks I have made one weeks worth of meals on my day off.
I divide everything in to easy to grab tupperware. I even have prepared my snacks. I count out 30 pistachios and put them into baggies. I have divided my lowfat cheese into 1 oz portions.

On Monday I prepared "Fireside bean soup", "Black Bean soup" , and "Chicken parmesan". They are all delicious, easy to make, and store well. It takes me about 3 hours total to make everything, but it makes the rest of my week so easy!! I love it. Also, in the end, I think I am saving money because I am not wasting as many groceries, that I didn't end up using.

To many of you this might seem like a no brainer, but for me it has been a life changing revelation. I can enjoy the food I am eating and have a lot less stress then I used too. Plus only one day of dishes!! That is huge.

I hope that this long email will be helpful to some of you!

Last edited by liberty130; 10-20-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:20 PM   #2  
i luv my dog!

Hi Liberty, welcome to the beach. Your story sounds like mine. Glad you could join us. We look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

Great story! Welcome a board. What a great idea you had and so glad you found a way to make this WOE fit into your lifestyle.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:30 PM   #4  

Hi Liberty,

Well it really sounds like you are determined ~ such wonderful organisation!

Best wishes,
Marianna
Old 10-20-2004, 10:41 PM   #5  
Slowly Changing My Life..

S/C/G: 250/239.8/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi there and welcome aboard!
I do the exact same thing that you did. I always shop for "on plan" meals and then go totally off when I can't find the time to make them. About two weeks back I spent about 3-4 hours preparing meals for the week (in preparation to return to work) and it was wonderful. I stayed on plan and everything was there for me when I needed it. However, I have been slipping steadily lately for many reasons and have been totally off plan.

I should be getting a disability check this week and plan on doing my grocery shopping and cooking again for at least a week, maybe two. I have one of those vacuum sealers and they are awesome for sealing the meals in and then popping them in the microwave or a pot of boiling water to heat up. I also found it extremely handy if my family was eating something that wasn't on plan for me...I didn't feel stressed about possibly making a wrong choice - my food was all ready prepared and ready to go.

Although I have been off track and struggling I am still not ready to give up on myself. I know I can do this, I just need to work at it harder and find a better hobby other than emotional eating!

Good luck to you - sounds like you are doing great!

~P
Old 10-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/242/130

Height: 5'3"

Welcome Liberty,
That is such a great way to make the hectic week easier.
Good Luck on the Beach!
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Liberty, what a great idea, and I am so glad you figured out a way to make this work for you!

I totally agree about making meals fun and yummy. I LOVE Cooking Light a magazine that has amazing recipes. Most are very easy to adapt to SBD. You can see the recipes at www.cookinglight.com (you have to register, but it is free and so worth it!).
Old 10-21-2004, 04:30 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Great attitude, Liberty!! Welcome!
Old 10-22-2004, 04:09 PM   #9  

Thank you for all of your support. It is much appreciated!!

I am writing this as I am eating my lunch, "Fireside soup". I love this soup. If any of you haven't made this yet, make it. It is tres delish and filling.

Texasmom... Don't give up on yourself. You can do this. Don't let a few moments off plan, get you totally off plan. I have had the tendency to do this in the past, but now realize that if I go off plan that it is not the end of the world. If I get back on, I will still lose weight that week or month... I am trying to look at the big picture... I know that there are times during this weightloss journey that I will eat things I shouldn't, but 6 months - 1 year from now I am going to weigh a lot less then I do now!

We can do this!!
Closed Thread