Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 AM   #1  
knittygirl

Default Can anyone recommend a great exercise video for beginner's???

Looking for a recommended exercise video for beginner's?? I do not like exercising but I know I have to do it so would like a recommendation on a video. Thanks!
melmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #2  

It really depends on what you like to do, how out of shape you might be, what your physical limitations might be, etc. I'll give you my criteria when I was first starting out, and you can go from there.

I weighed over 300 pounds and found it uncomfortable to walk more than a couple of blocks. I also have bad knees, and I HATED "aerobics" -- I can't pick up fancy moves very quickly, and all the jumping around was uncomfortable. I also have a small living room, so space was an issue. So, I went to CollageVideo.com and discovered Leslie Sansone. She had not yet come out with "Walk Away the Pounds" but had lots of other tapes along the same lines. I bought her original one-mile walk. The things I liked about it were: It met all my criteria and seemed "doable." One think I really like about it is that it's very adaptable, and she emphasizes that if you get tired you can stop doing the knee lifts or arm raises or whatever, and just go back to simple walking. As you get more fit you can add in the other elements, such as hand weights. If you're in better shape than that, she has longer videos, and videos that incorporate other exercise elements.

When I had mastered that, I got a copy of Susan Powter's Burn Fat & Get Fit. Susan understands that strength training is an important part of weight loss. She also understands adapting a program to meet your abilities. So, while this tape was much longer and more intense, it still wasn't very complicated, and you can start simple and work up as you get in better shape.

I also think Kathy Smith has the best overall line of exercise videos out there. You want to stick to the ones that have come out in the last 10 years or so, but if you like traditional aerobics she's got several to choose from. She also has a TERRIFIC strength training set called Lift Weights to Lose Weight. In addition, she has things like kickboxing, latin dancing, Pilates, etc. and is just coming out with a bellydancing video. I LOVE Kathy Smith -- she keeps up with the latest in exercise research and her routines emphasize safety, correct form, etc. Check out her website at www.kathysmith.com.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:11 PM   #3  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default videos

I agree about the Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" videos. It's the only one I use and mix it up with going to the gym. I use only the 3-mile, but if you are new at an exercise program, maybe the 1 or 2 miles might be better for now. I am not a fan of aerobics, step aerobics and the like but really like this one. It's basically walking in place at different speeds and adding in kicks, side steps and knee lifts. Later she adds in light hand weights. I break a sweat with the 3-mile (45 mins) tape but it's nothing like my elliptical routine. I really like this and think it's a good variation to use occasionally. Leslie isn't as annoying as most.

Girlie
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would say go look at what is out there. I've done tons of videos when I was well over 300 lbs from the Firm to Step videos to Richard Simmons. No matter what you find, you can modify it for your taste. I really liked the Firm videos when I was doing exercise to mostly videos.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I gotta add in a cheer for Leslie too. Walk Away the Pounds (and you can find it at Wal*Mart or www.walkawaythepounds.com) is EASY for beginners. Not that it's so easy you don't get a workout, but the moves are very easy to learn, because they are all just variations on walking...something we already know. I've started doing The Firm myself, but some of the moves on there, I just can't quite get right yet. As well as a dance video I picked up. And it's annoying to watch and try and watch and try and not be able to figure out what the heck they're doing. LOL With WATP, there's nothing to figure out. She shows you first what to do and then you join in. And they're all simple moves. And as someone points out, she stresses to just walk if it's too much for you. Her and her group talk throughout to mix it up and keep you interested. And you can do just as long as you want...something else she stresses. Stop when you need to stop and fast-forward to the cool down.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:16 PM   #6  
knittygirl

thanks for the information. i am going to check out some of these titles from my library to try before buying to see what I like.
melmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #7  

I like Richard Simmons because all of his tapes are made for people with pounds to lose. It is motivating to see people your same size or bigger doing the workout.
yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #8  

I have done Richard Simmons and I agree that it is nice to see someone doing it that looks more like me. I am doing the firm right now and am looking into adding maybe something else. I have some problems picking up some of the moves.
boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #9  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
I am doing the firm right now and am looking into adding maybe something else. I have some problems picking up some of the moves.
And isn't that sooooo discouraging? I started to put the Firm aside the first time I tried it because I simply can't get any motivation to do an exercise that I can't figure out the moves on. If they try to run you through so fast that you simply can't pick up on what they're actually doing, you will lose interest quickly. This is why I always suggest the WATP videos. Because I was so able to do them right from the start that I went out and bought a second set, and bought a set for my daughter. A video that discourages one from exercising isn't a good exercise video IMHO.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote