South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM   #1  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Default South Beach Bible

OK, what, in YOUR opinion are the unbreakable testaments of the SB Bible?

It seems we all have little things we'll do "once in a while" but I am curious to find out, really, what do YOU think are the most important rules of South Beach Diet. Not "I won't eat Wonder Bread" (DUHHHH!)

But, more like, I really do not ever have full fat cheese, at all. Or, I can only eat one fruit a day. Or, I won't even buy the pre-mixed salad bags with shredded carrots. (By the way, I am pretty sure I didn't get here by eating carrots, ha, ha!)

But anyway, what's the "important stuff" in your mind?
Old 10-18-2004, 06:53 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well of course I would say try to follow the book as much as possible but I would say the basis of the diet should be followed "good fats, good carbs"

1) Low saturated fat - healthy for your heart, lower in calories generally and there are good substitutes for high saturated products.

2) Avoid added sugar and non whole wheat flour

Violating limits on good carbs, like eating tons of fruit or whole wheat products, would be better than violating the 2 basic rules.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:41 PM   #3  
A Lily from my yard!

Well I guess the only thing that I feel I will not do is drink sweet tea! I cannot afford to go there! haha You know I am a southerner and we like it real sweet so I have learned to carry equal in my purse so that if they don't have it I can use mine and I am not tempted to drink it already sweetened. I don't drink carbonated beverages so my choices are very limited when I go out. Tea or water! haha

You didn't tell us your unbreakable rule.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:53 PM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Correct me if I'm wrong - today is my very first day on SoBe - but isn't it all about figuring out triggers and what works for you? I think starting from the SoBe base and moving out is a great strategy.

What I mean is that I have every intention of adding more than one piece of fruit to my diet (past Phase I). However, what I'll do is start by adding a piece of fruit and watching my eating patterns. Do mangos cause me to binge on grains later in the day? Can I add full-fat cheese if I cut down on the fats somewhere else without it stalling the weight loss process? Can I drink a bottle of wine and not have the cheese plate too?

Since I'm a newbie, I might have a naive perspective!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:54 PM   #5  

I ALWAYS buy pre-mixed salad with carrots. I eat it almost every day and it hasn't stalled my weight loss at all. I don't think the amount of carrots is significant enough to have an impact.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM   #6  
Just Me

Jessica, welcome to south beach! The only reason I would say to avoid full fat cheese and/or fatty meats is for heart health. If you read the book, Dr A talks about how he believes Atkins is a good diet EXCEPT for the allowance of high saturated fat. (This is a very broad summarization) Then he goes on to talk about how the consumption of saturated fat causes an immediate negative reaction in the body and can even trigger a heart attack. Your weight may not stall if you eat full fat cheese, but it isn't the healthiest thing for you or your heart. I view this as a diet not only for helping me lose weight but to get healthy.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #7  

I think you have to drink the water and get the exercise. I have gone totally off plan from time to time as far as food goes, and still lost weight, but stop drinking water or exercising ... it all comes to a grinding halt.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Nelie - I agree that this is a heart-healthy plan, however perhaps I should re-phrase. If you want full-fat cheese, I think the plan allows you flexiblity for that without having to give up South Beach. Since I hate red meat (ok, except for those cute little lambs that taste so good), I might use meats lower in saturated fats for the occasionally fatty cheese (how evil to be thinking of brie on day 1 of Phase I).
Old 10-19-2004, 09:30 AM   #9  
Almost 20 lbs gone 4ever!

Yes, I think everyone has what they can and can't do, which is why I think SBD works. Everyone has their own personal plan and it might look very different than your neighbor's personal plan, which is why I was curious.

I guess I am still trying to figure out what my main things are. It's hard, you know?!

lauren
Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 AM   #10  
I found my hipbones!

My strengths with this diet tend to be staying away from real sugar. I don't recall adding any kind of real sugar to anything since January when I started this. I haven't drank (drunk?) juice since I started, and in the whole time I've been on this, I have had only one regular soda (and it was one of those half-sized cans of Dr. Pepper after vacation when there was absolutely nothing to eat or drink in the place). I'll grant I've had the occasional naughty dessert, but they were always planned, and I went right back to business afterward.

Personally, I think it's much more difficult to control the fat levels on South Beach, especially when we're eating out somewhere. You can't really control what kinds of cheeses are on your food or what kind of oil they use... I know I could ask for my food to be prepared without these things, but to me, it becomes a point of feeling deprived then. I typically just expect to end up eating something that's not according to the book while I'm out (even though I'm trying to behave) and plan my eating for the rest of the day to be very OP.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:46 AM   #11  
Just Me

Fuzzy, I'll agree it is hard to control fat levels when we are eating out somewhere which is one reason I don't eat out often. Making/preparing my own foods allows me to control the ingredients which I like. When I do go out, I try my best but of course, you can only do so much when someone else is preparing your food. I just say do your best because it'll be the best thing for you. Of course it is up to each individual to tailor their diet as they see fit and the bending the rules as they see fit. I'm not perfect and I'll eat some regular fat cheese when I'm out or such, but I do try to limit it. I also try to choose lean meats as best I can and eat plenty of veggies.

I went out to Outback one night, chose a lean steak cut, not too big, with veggies on the side. Well the veggies were drenched in butter and honestly it didn't taste good to me so I would've preferred if I had asked for no butter on them. It wasn't because I was trying to nitpick the fats on my food but it was because of taste but I didn't think about it when I ordered. We learn, we get better, our tastes change.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:13 PM   #12  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Wow, great topic, Lauren!

I think each person does have to decide what they feel is best, but Nelie is right about the cardinal rules.

I, too, find it easier to stay away from sugar than from fat, but my cholesterol is not nearly as good as I expected at this point, so I'm trying harder to watch the fat content.

Things that are unbreakable rules for me:
  • No trans fats (any oil that has been hydrogenated) ever. Evil! <shudder>
  • One fruit and one serving of starch a day
  • Always, always have protein when I eat a fruit or starch
  • A serving of starch is what it says on the bag or box, a reasonable portion (as in one roll), or what it says in the GFGCG. I try to make the best possible choice.
  • Sweet treats are non-nutritive calories
  • I'm losing weight really rapidly, so I ensure I get at least a pound of protein a day and lift weights regularly to reduce the loss of muscle mass.
  • Veggies, Veggies, Veggies! And lettuce is not a major veggie! I try to eat as many veggies as I can fit into my day.
  • Eat dessert after dinner and then no food after that (though I can have a cup of tea). Leave the kitchen, if necessary.
  • Lots of exercise...as much as I can manage. Usually works out to lifting weights twice a week, one jazzercise class a week, about two or three cardio sessions at the gym and one or two pilates/yoga sessions.
  • Journal when I am scared, frustrated, etc.
  • Lots of vitamins...specific ones, not a multivitamin, which I feel does not give you nearly enough nutrients
  • Flaxseed every day, usually in yogurt
  • Cinnamon every day, usually in yogurt
  • Lots and lots of water all day, then soda at lunch and dinner.
  • Watch caffeine intake to only two servings a day
  • Real chocolate once a week, but only 1/2 oz...more seems to give me the shakes.

Sheesh, was that long enough?

Things I consider negotiable:
  • I sometimes go over my sweet treat limit. I'll have a creamsicle at lunch (25 cals) then the PB Cup after dinner (45 for fudgesicle, 15 for coolwhip). I need to do something about that...but my weight continues to fall, so I haven't been too motivated.
  • When out, I'll sometimes get full fat cheese. But if the information is available, I do try to make less fatty choices. i.e. I get the sauteed zucchini instead of the creamed spinach at Ruby Tuesdays.
  • Sometimes I use Half n' Half in my coffee. Usually at a restaurant when I am trying to refrain from eating dessert...and nursing a coffee (decaf) helps me. I figure it's an okay trade off.
  • Sometimes I'll use a small amount of real sugar (or fruit juice, sherry, honey, etc.) in recipes. I take a hard look at how much and the serving size, and ensure I do not have more than the serving size.

Well, that's me! Looking forward to reading other responses!
Old 10-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #13  

This is a great topic - heaps of very practical advice.. Of course I have nothing to add being very new to SBD - but cheers for the thread!
Closed Thread