Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-17-2004, 06:18 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #128

Hey guys-post here. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:04 AM   #2  

Default Hey There

I wondered where you all were... I haven't been up to staying on the computer so just about all I have done is read... Weather here is beautiful. Parts of the day I can turn off the air and open my house up to the fresh air outside ,whatever that is.Our brother and his wife are down for a month from Az. We are really enjoying them.
Hello everybody...Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #3  

I was just diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple months ago. The medications that I'm taking were helping with the pain. Now that it has turned cooler, the pains are back and I'm becoming more tired again. Is this normal?
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 07:42 AM   #4  

Fibromyalgia is crazy. It rears it's ugly head sporadically. Tiredness is normal. Do you do mild evercise like walking or swimming. That seems to help and also massage. Keep coming back here and you will hear us one by one talk about pain. Best to you, Tammy. OK , where is Menme and Candice and Anne-how was the wedding. Put a pic on with your dress!!!! Went to the eye doc yestreday thinking I would be scheduled for cataract surgery-which I want-but not ready yet, She told me I had very dry eyes and that could be interfering with driving at night. Drops 4 times a day. All the time I thought it was allergies. haven't heard from the stess test yet. I would like to know!!!! And Hi Anagram. Joanne, my son told me how nice it was. Can't wait. Mima
Old 10-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #5  

Hi Tammy...........Mima is right about Fibro...I get worse with the cold too, waht meds are you taking?

Mima..hope you hear about your test soon!

Joanne..weather sounds lovely there! Cold here but nice later this week.

Still no oven..I want to bake!
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #6  

Mima, I have been doing some walking but no swimming. I guess I should check about a membership at the YMCA. I'm sure it will be too expensive for us. Massage sounds good!

Candice, last spring my family doctor put me on Celebrex. It did absolutely nothing to ease the pain. He changed me to Relafin (2 pills at lunchtime). That helped me quite a bit. He also prescribed Vicodin for the really bad days. I'll admit that I've had to break down and take some of those at times. The family doctor called to get me in to a rheumatologist in August. She put me on Flexeril at bedtime right away. That was before the fibromyalgia was finally diagnosed. That has helped tremendously until the cooler weather set in.

Today I have ached all over. I need to just go take a hot shower and crawl into bed, but it's only 8:30.

I've been posting on one of the WW threads for a few years now. I was browsing around and found this thread and thought I'd introduce myself and meet others with fibro.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:26 PM   #7  

Hi ... I didn't die ... just my computer did. I finally got a new one. Was moving the old one around downstairs ... my son is going to wipe it clean and I'm going to let the kids have it to play their games on ... anyway - I dropped the monitor on my left foot. Went to the doctor yesterday and he made me go have it X rayed. They said today when I called that it didn't show a break but it did show tendonitis in it. JOY! All my toes are black and it's black all down the side, too, and swollen. That's the one I have the ulcer on the ankle ... then I have both kinds of arthritis in the other ankle. Couldn't walk too good before so you can imagine now!

Hi Tammy. Fibromyalgia isn't fun anytime but this time of year is rough. Ice and Aleve is good. A lot of people tell you to put heat on, and it does feel good, but heat expands the muscles. In therapy they will ice the big muscles on your shoulders and freeze them. That gives some immediate relief when they are hurting so bad you think you're going to scream. One trick I learned is to freeze water in little paper cups ... then peel the paper back and rub the ice on the muscle between the neck and shoulder. Getting someone else to do it works best. You can actually alternate between the heat and the ice. Also, if you have someone who can just press on them, that helps, too. My hubby gives me massages sometimes ... even just for a few minutes helps ease the tension out of the muscles in my shoulders. For the tiredness ... of course, I am also anemic ... I drink a Boost High Energy drink with extra protein every morning. That is the only thing that keeps me going. We all do what we have to do. We have to have extra rest and pamper ourselves more than others. We have to eat differently, rest differently and most of the time even dress differently ... more warmly and stay out of drafts and wet weather, etc. Other people don't understand so we have learned to just keep these aspects of our lives to ourselves as best we can. People don't understand what they can't see and people with Fibro look like there's nothing wrong with them!!! But WE know better ... don't we!
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 09:09 AM   #8  

The last thing you needed is to drop something on your foot!!!!!, Meme. Boy am I pooped-stayed up two nights to watch the Red Sox but it was worth it!!!!!! We are going to the World series!!! So glad Auntie cancelled for this am-tomorrow we will walk!!! Have to go to a meeting tonight but it shouldn't be late. Tammy, I take Desyrel at night. The FLexeril makes you groggy when you wake up. Plus Tolectin and Prednisone-low dose for the pain. The important thing is to get a good night's sleep. The Y usually has classes for arthritics-that's what we are-and you don't have to join or matbe only get a Senior membership. Watch out for water aerobics-it's great but don't overdo it-our muscles tend to pull easily. Don't give up-none of us are couch potatoes except Meme-haha-only kidding -we tell her to slow down. And Candice too. And everyone for that matter. Bye Mima
Old 10-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #9  

Well ... after dropping the monitor on my foot you don't have to tell me to slow down this week! I've been in the bed for the last 3 days and stayed in bed until 10 today. It hurts like the dickens! I'll have Ross and Jenna Saturday and Sunday and we're supposed to take them on a hayride Saturday night. (Our church is doing that and hubby is helping.) I'll have to go along ... but I've already declared I'm NOT climbing up on that wagon!!! The farm where it's at ... the couple are life long friends of ours ... from MI. The woman and I have been friends for almost 40 years. We went to church together in MI - then wound up in the same church in TN 20 years later. Then I left that church for about 15 years and now we're going to church together again. She has had back surgery a couple of times and isn't able to go on the wagon either so we're going to stay at the house until the kids get back, then they're going to have a big bonfire and roast hotdogs and marshmallows.

But, yes - I'm a workaholic. I think most fibromyalia ridden people are ... that's probably one of our problems. We can't relax. My hubby says I can't do one thing at a time ... I have to have at least two or three things going. But right now, I'm cool with just being able to make it from one room to the next.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #10  

Meme, thanks for the tips. I know what you mean about people not realizing that I'm feeling as bad as I am. It's frustrating. When I was diagnosed, I took copies of the information to my principal and the superintendent of the school where I teach. I wanted them to be aware that I might be missing more days than I normally do. The school nurse is familiar with fibro., so that helps.

The Flexeril really hasn't been a problem for me in the mornings. Maybe because I've been going to bed at a decent hour. Tonight I had a meeting, so I've only been home about 30 minutes. This is the latest that I've been to bed on a school night in ages! 11;00!
Old 10-22-2004, 06:57 AM   #11  

Hi fellow teacher although I am retired!!! I had a great thing happen-I drove last night and the lights didn't blind me-they were a little bad on the way home but I will take my drops with me next time. All those years I thought cataracts were the cause of my night blindness, but I find out I have dry eye!!!!Yeah for opthmologists!!! That meeting was for my church having a table at a Church Fair-lots of churches get together and have their Fairs on the same day-it's fun and it's ecumenical. Anyone routing for the Cardinals-I am glad the Red Sox are playing them-should be fun. Going to walk in the cold today. Mima
Old 10-22-2004, 08:11 AM   #12  

Tammy...I take the elavil at bedtime and xanax, and ambien and sometimes I do not sleep! When I wake up in pain I know that I did not sleep well....this week has been bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I try to keep active as best I can but seem to over do a tad to much! I used to be a teacher to but it became overwhelming for me so I quit. I do not take anything for pain at the moment...but need to.........nothing agrees with me, too many side effects. I'm trying to pace myself a bit better too.

Meme.....you shouldn't have kicked the computer so hard! (I know you dropped it...) Ha! You just get some rest and get pampered!

Mima...I want the Cardinals to win! or is that game over now and the astros won???????missed the end of the news.

Joanne are you doing ok...tell us more about the surgery?
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #13  

Default Hey There

Hello Everybody... My expectations of " get up and go" are not working out to my satisfaction.. I did color my hair yesterday. We went to a concert on our local beach with my brother and his wife. My sister Mary was there too. It was OK. I had to come home and make hot tea to get out the chill. It was windy and a little cool that close to the water.So far today ,only one pain pill. I guess that is progress.
Candice.. Not much to tell about this surgery. I had masses on both overies. They had to do a lot of extra to the right. It was sorta stuck to something in there. The Dr. told me ,but, I wasn't exactly with it and can't remember.. I will get the final report from pathology on my next visit.. I don't expect anything to worry about..
You guys stay safe.Meme... Don't drop any more things on your feet . Mima.. I have had dry eyes for years.. They also would leak so bad they finally plugged up a couple tear ducts. They are much better. I only use the drops a couple times or so a day.
Welcome Tammy...
Hello Happy.. I guess you are getting cold weather now..Where is Ally?
I hope You all have a great weekend..I voted today..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:28 PM   #14  

Well ... GEE ... the way you guys talk - people will get the idea I do these things ON PURPOSE!
Old 10-23-2004, 07:33 AM   #15  

Not so and I wanted the Cardinals to win and they did. We are just sooooo happy that the Red Sox beat the Yankees. I hope they win the Worls Series but they have already won in my book. Course the Yanks want us beat again. My stress test report came in and I am normal-thank God ! My fibro is acting up big time especially my shoulders!!! Need to exercise. And I am so congested and wheezy. Change of weather. Have a good weekend. Mima 36 days til FL