Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-16-2004, 04:32 PM   #1  

Default Got an appt on Tues for my psych eval...what will it be like?

Hi All,

Just got my 45 page questionaire in the mail for my psych and nutritional evaluation. Just wondering what to expect from them. My insurance didn't cover either one, I decided to go out of network to a weight management program at a hospital thinking it be better for me, and I'm paying out of pocket. Any advice on how to get the most for my money? I'm working on questions to ask, etc, but wndering if anyone has advice. My surg. doesn't seem to have a lot of follow up care....wondering if I should check out follow up with the weight management people.

I'm still on the fence but I know that for this to succeed for me I need to create a good support network and enviroment for myself. How important do you those who've had the surg. find aftercare/support groups?

Thanks for any advice.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Deb I did not have surgery but I would suspect the after care / support / therapy has got to be the most important thing one could do for themselves, especially after such an experience. I would think there is going to be alot of questions and things that will come up after surgery that you will need advice/help on.

Good Luck !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 08:29 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

oh deb... the aftercare and support are CRITICAL. there are so many things that happen physically and emotionally that make us concerned that something's wrong.. and we also need help navigating the changes that we're going through.

this is NOT something that just kind of drops out of the sky and solves your problems automatically. if you're a stress eater beforehand, you'll still have the stress to deal with.

if you're a boredom eater, you'll still get bored sometimes!!!!

if you eat when you're angry, you'll still get angry!!!!

so IMO. support is at least as important as a good surgeon. after all, the surgeon's in your life for a few months. but you have to live with this for the rest of your life!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:49 PM   #4  

Just got back from the appointment....think they'll both give me the go ahead on the surg. Wish I had a little more time with the nutritionist though.... guess I'll have to get more questions together and try and get some answers.

Here's a question that the psychologist couldn't answer and I'm a little curious about....any input would be great. Does anyone know what the change in diet might do to the brain's chemistry? Yeah, I know....it's a little out there. Just that I know that some people do go through depression and I'm wondering how it might affect me both immediately post surg. and possible after pregnancy. Post partom depression runs in the family and I'm trying to get an idea of how to avoid that as much as possible. Not that I'm planning on getting prenant asap but I'd like to incorporate any suggestions into my overall vitamin supplement approach.

I'm pretty pleased with the programs offered. I can go to both a post and pre surg. group meetings. I think both will be a good resource. Just wish they were closer.

How many of you attend support groups?

As always...any advice would be great.

Deb
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote