Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default GREAT new snack!

OMG, I am in heaven!! I got an email from WW yesterday (you know those ones they send out occasionally?) and as usual it had recipes. One of them was for Oven-Roasted Herbed Vegetable Rounds, where you slice zucchini, yellow suash, sweet potatoes, and carrots really thin and bake them in a 200 degree oven. Hmmm ... looked interesting! So last night I made them, using only sweet potatoes and oh holy cow! AWESOME!!!!

I'll post the recipe in the recipe forum in case anybody didn't get the email.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #2  

Bindy: I got that email yesterday too and immediately went to the store to buy the ingredients. Am fixing it today. So glad to know it's a keeper!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:14 PM   #3  

A word of advice: don't try to slice them longwise -- it has to be crosswise. You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but last night I made more and they were stringy and nasty. I had to throw them out. I might try them with regular potatoes but I think I'll stay away from squash chips. It just doesn't sound that good to me! LOL!
Old 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #4  
Cowboy Up Chick

It is because of the grain of the vegetable the reason for cutting one way and not the other. You know someone asked about Spryng's idea for the potatos for chips so I guess this would mean they are core also.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #5  

What did I do wrong? Followed directions to a "T" and they're totally limp. The carrots shriveled up to nothing and still limp?
Old 10-15-2004, 04:34 PM   #6  

Did you cut them too thick? I had a few that were a little chewy, but none were limp. But I didn't use carrots, just sweet potatoes.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  

I used a mandolin and cut them as thin as it would cut, about 1/8". Carrots, sweet potatoes and zucchini. I even tried re-crisping for 10 min at 250. Still limp. I don't understand how they can be so shriveled up and still limp. Guess this just isn't my recipe.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #8  

I just made some more and they aren't as good. The only difference between today's and Wednesday's is that today I salted them before I cooked them, where Wednesday I cooked, then salted. I wonder if that means anything?

I also made some with regular potatoes and they took about 30 minutes longer.

EDIT: I ended up throwing the whole mess away. I'll try again later, but won't salt before cooking.

Last edited by Bindy; 10-16-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:05 AM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

salt will draw out the 'liquid' from the veggies quickly so that could have been the problem.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:16 AM   #10  

I'm wondering if 200 degrees is hot enough since in the TurnAround Cookbook Crispy Sweet Potato Fries are baked at 450 for 35 min and Spicy Potato Sticks are baked at 425 for 15 min and broiled for 5 min, then broiled 5" from heat for another 10.

Just a thought.

Last edited by ditpen; 10-17-2004 at 10:22 AM.
Closed Thread