Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-11-2004, 04:58 PM   #1  

Default HUGE pills and itchy skin?

OK... After a little over 3 months I am down 90 pounds with 130 to go. YIPEE!!!

But, I have two issues.

1. Doc switched me to calcium citrate and the caplets are huge. Bigger than huge. GIGANTIC. Even cut in half they are huge. Any suggestions? Are there any brands out there that the tablet is more manageable? Also the same issue with the vitamins I just bought.

2. Itchy skin. I seem to have really itchy skin. Especially my back and legs from the knees down. Could this be "shrinkage" or what? It is driving me crazy. I HAVEN'T tried using lotion as I am too lazy but that is the next step. Any suggestions?

Good luck to everyone.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

about the pills: for that EXACT REASON you're describing, i switched to chewables. yes, there is indeed a chewable calcium citrate. i get it at the vitamin shoppe. there are also liquid calciums you might want to consider.

AND chewable vitamins. centrum rugrats for me, but there are others as well.

now for the itchy skin. first and foremost: drink more water. that 64 oz per day is a BARE MINIMUM. i found that my water needs increased dramatically as i lost weight. i figured i was processing water differently and needed more. so drink up.

and apply lotion.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22 PM   #3  

Hi P--I take the gigantic pills, lol, I couldn't find anything else, so I tried it one day, and it was tough, but I got it down, and now its easy for me. As far as dry skin, I really don't have a problem with that. Sorry, I wasn't much help....Good luck to you!
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

pookie... i've seen it at just about every health food store or vitamin store except for GNC. they don't have much of anything!!!!

i get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe...

and misty.. you are BRAVE to swallow those horse pills. i NEVER could, and i still have quite a bit of trouble with them..
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM   #5  

Hi P,

Just a thought on the itchy skin.....I know you have back problems. Could it be those meds? One of the side effects of Vicadin is itchy skin. Maybe with the weight loss your meds are effecting you differently. Might not solve the problem but sometime knowing the cause makes me feel better. Drives me crazy! Hope things get better.
Young Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #6  

Hi everyone and thanks for the info and suggestions. Today I found some adult, orange flavored chewable vitamins. That will help. Now to find a liquid or chewable calcium.

The itchy skin is still a problem but nit vicadin caused. I take morphine and it isn't related time wise. Unfortunately I think it may be related to perriferal neurophathy from my diabetis and permanant nerve damage from my back. It is in the same areas that I have either reduced feeling or a lack of feeling.

The weight loss is obviously helping my back and I am taking LESS pain medication that at any time in the last 10 years. YIPPEE!!! But, the damage already done to the nerves can't be fixed.

Everyone keep on losing and exercising.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #7  

Wow! 90 pounds! You go girl!!! I've only lost 38 so now I'm going to go pout.

I have had extremely itchy skin too, especially around my torso. I'm not on any meds except vitamins. I think it's the shrinkage.
My4Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote