South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #1  

Default My South Beach results, so far ;-).

Hope you don't mind if I set the mood ;-). I'm a 47 year old man, who has had a weight problem as far back as I can remember. I have long Gray hair down to the middle of my back and a full Gray beard. At 307 pounds, you're probably getting the image of Santa Claus, well that's close enough ;-). Back in November I was diagnosed with depression, seems I've alway suffered from it. The meds made a huge difference. The I was diagnised as ADHD, again the meds did wonders. If only I had known I had these problems when I was in school. Oh well.
I've tried many different diets over the years and always came back 10 pounds heavier. At 307, I was reluctant to try another diet and come back at 317, but I had to do something! My new G.P. suggested Bypass Surgery the first time I met him! It so happened I was scheduled to have a Colonoscopy within a few weeks so I decided I would talk with that doctor and did some research on the Bypass surgery. I decided the surgery was only a last resort for me, I also decided that if my weight wasn't under control by the time I was 50, I would seriously consider having it.
Then I spoke with the doctor who was going to do my Colonoscopy, he was against it and had been on the South Beach diet. He recommended it highly.

Well I started the South Beach diet on June 7th, 2004, already down 12 pounds from my 307 just from the change in attitude (I credit it with the depression finally being under control). I'm telling you all of this because I don't want to misrepresent my results. I love the South Beach diet, but I credit my new mental state as well.
Since June 7th I have lost 58.5 pounds on the diet for a grand total of 70.5 pounds! I stayed on Phase 1 for 5 weeks and lost 23 pounds. I could go on forever on this topic, but I need to get back to work ;-). I have a detailed weekly blog at http://mjsdietblog.blogspot.com/. If it's appropriate, I might transfer it to 3FCs, I'm still finding my way around. Well good luck to all of you, and take care..
Old 10-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #2  
Peanut's Mom

Wow, you are definitely not Santa anymore!!! Congrats! I'm glad to see that South Beach has helped you and commend you on your decision to not to undergo the surgery. You were exactly right about your state of mind having a great impact on your accomplishment as well. Keep up the great work!
Old 10-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #3  
There is no try, only DO

Welcome NotSanta

Your loss is fantastic! Stick with it and you'll be down to your goal before you know it.

Today's been a rough day for me, reading your story is a little extra inspiration. Thanks for sharing it.

Heather
Old 10-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #4  
i luv my dog!

Welcome NotSanta. Thanks for sharing your story. Its a great inspiration. Congrats on the healthy weight loss. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #5  

Thanks everybody, I hope I can provide inspiration, I know the posts I've read here have helped me.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #6  
A Lily from my yard!

Wow! Way to go! Thanks for telling your story. Welcome I look forward to reading more! You inspire me!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:25 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, ImNotSanta! Your story is so impressive, and very inspiring.
And how wonderful that you've finally got your depression under control. It sounds as though you have dysthymia... your symptoms are very familiar to me. It's a real bugger until you figure out what's wrong.
I hope you continue to post with us!
Old 10-06-2004, 09:25 PM   #8  

I looked into dysthymia at your suggestion, and I agree, it does sound like that's what I have. Since my G.P. perscribed Effexor and we got it under control without seeing a phyciatrist, I guess I'll never know for sure. Thanks for the suggetstion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis
And how wonderful that you've finally got your depression under control. It sounds as though you have dysthymia... your symptoms are very familiar to me. It's a real bugger until you figure out what's wrong.
I hope you continue to post with us!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:40 AM   #9  

Welcome ImNotSanta. Your progress is amazing and inspiring! Your journey has probably given you a wealth of experience so I hope you'll stay with us on this board. I can identify with the depression issue and the miraculous changes medication can bring about.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:11 AM   #10  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

What a marvelous story for my day of feeling defeated.

Congrats!
Closed Thread