Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #1  
Super Student Nurse

Default No Cottage Cheese, Please

Please help me ladies.

I hate cottage cheese.

GASP!!

I know, thats almost sacreligous as a BFL'er but I hate it.

What are some other things I can use for snacks? I need things that are cheap quick and easy. Im a poor nursing student after all.
nurse2bmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 05:35 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You know I am re-introducing cottage cheese to my food regimine but I don't care for it much so I have to add splenda to it, I've also discovered some nonfat plain yogurt and cottage cheese with some splenda is pretty decent. Those would be tips for someone who just dislikes cottage cheese, but as you hate it... hmm

Well I'm not on BFL so I'm not sure what is acceptable and what isn't so I'll list some things:

Grilled chicken strips - I buy frozen chicken tenderloins and cook them on my george foreman grill.
String cheese or other lowfat cheese
Nonfat (or lowfat) plain yogurt - yes I know yum but you can mix it with stuff
Nonfat (or lowfat) ricotta - I know it sounds strange but as I am on SBD, they do some interesting things with ricotta including mixing some splenda and sugar free cocoa powder
Celery and natural peanut butter - I've also tried with almond butter which gives an interesting taste
Nuts - almonds, walnuts, cashews

Most of the above I mix with some kind of veggie, usually tomatoes, sweet bell peppers or celery, except for ricotta which I don't eat often.

I hope this may help some
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Egg whites, I add them to shakes for extra protein and tuna, tuna, tuna!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #4  
Just Me

Duh, I did mean to mention tuna. I eat tuna every day, I mix in some mayo (not much but a lil), dill relish, spicy mustard, celery and tomatoes.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:19 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

One way to mask cottage cheese for me is to mix it very very well with my hand braun mixer... I add to it some vanilla and splenda mix, mix, mix, with my hand mixer till super smooth and refrigerate it tastes, to me, like vanilla pudding...

I've also taken 2 c. CC, with SF jello (strawberry or raspberry flavour) diluted in 1/4c. boiling water, with one cup frozen strawberries, and mix, mix, mix again with the braun hand mixer till smooth, refrigerate and another great meal 2 or 4!!

HTH
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #6  

Ilene,

You must love your braun as much as I love mine. That poor thing never gets put away. I complete wore out my first one and like my new one even better, didn't think that was possible.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

I do the same thing as Ilene - blend my CC nice and smooth. I generally add light yogurt to it, as well as Splenda or Equal and perhaps a dash of vanilla extract.

Another great meal idea is to bake a potato (either white or sweet), scoop out the inside, use your Braun to combine the potato guts with a serving of cottage cheese (you can also add cinnamon, Butter Buds and Splenda to sweet potatoes or paprika, chives, Butter Buds, diced veggies, etc. to white potatoes), put the mixture back in the potato shell, and then pop in the broiler for a few minutes until it gets nice and brown on top, like a twice-baked potato (in fact, that's EXACTLY what it is, come to think of it... ).

Nelie - as far as your list - I'm assuming you're listing alternate protein sources to CC? - I just have some notes: Yogurt is actually considered a carb on BFL and by a lot of nutritionists - check the label and you'll see that it has quite a few more carbs than protein. Nuts are actually a source of healthy fat - go gently with them as they pack a VERY high calorie punch indeed. Generally when I DO eat nuts, I keep the portions extremely small - maybe a tablespoon or so - same with nut butters, which I can't even keep around the house since they're very much a red-light food for me

Cheese and string cheese is kind of a 'grey area'. I do use cheese, but generally as a condiment - just for flavor, not as a major part of a meal. I know that on SBD, cheeses such as string cheese and Laughing Cow Light are recommended, though, so if it works for ya, go for it. Again, for me cheese is a red-light food so I'm better off staying well away from it for the most part.
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #8  
Just Me

MrsJim, I was just going for protein like snacks I don't eat much yogurt myself unless its in a dip or in a recipe, although I did like mixing it with cottage cheese. Also on SBD, our nuts/nut butters are very limited. In fact today I bought a whole bunch of pistachios to take to the office so I'll be able to snack on them occassionally but won't have an entire bag in the house.

As far as cheese goes, I love it but I do control how much I eat. It also makes veggies quite yummy.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:51 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Evangeline -- I've gone through 4 hand mixers in 20 years! I use mine at least twice/day...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote