Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #1  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Food emergency! What do you do if ...

You unexpectedly haven't got the right food for your last meal of the day. Or you suddenly really do need some unplanned food.

Perhaps someone else has eaten your food. Maybe you've just forgotten to buy it in advance.

What do you do?
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 08:41 AM   #2  
in development

This happened to me last night. I hadn't eaten enough at tea-time to support my new three sets routine.

No apples. No cottage cheese. (These are my usual stand-bys.) I live miles from a shop. I had a full evening's duties ahead of me.

So, I had a peanut butter sandwich. One slice of wholewheat bread, butter, peanut butter. It stopped the shaking and saw me through.

I don't feel at all bad about this but I'd rather that I'd seen it coming.

Do tell us what you'd do. I need ideas in case it happens again. Maybe we all do.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:59 AM   #3  

You mentioned shaking? What's that caused by ... you're not on a special low-carb diet or anything are you? (because I'm not!)

It does happen from time to time - I thought I had something in, and didn't have it, and have basically improvised with what I do have. No bread? No worries, there are bound to be some Vita Brits around (they don't go stale). No strawberries? Well, there's a nice looking orange over there. No cereal? Well, here's a brekkie bar instead, it will do for today. The trick, in my case, is to have plenty of food around, especially stuff that doesn't expire.

To help myself out more, I have devised a basic eating plan for each day to ensure adequate coverage of various food groups and plenty of proteins (this is hard for a someone who doesn't eat meat ... luckily I do eat fish) so I have certain things that I must eat each day, and whatever else goes on top is my choice. It's a perfect balance of planning and free choice to ensure that I don't get bored but don't lose my way!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #4  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeatanapple
You mentioned shaking? What's that caused by ... you're not on a special low-carb diet or anything are you?
Low blood sugar, I reckon. I'm not on a special diet. Plus generally over-doing it! Or could be the anticipated excitement of bedtime reading (the Boy and I are reading Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome. Those pirates - Black Jake, Fighting Mogandy and co - are horrible! I'm very glad the Viper went down in a waterspout last night - all hands lost.)

Last edited by silverbirch; 10-03-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:06 AM   #5  
Meg

SB -- I'd do exactly what you did. Sometimes you just have to make the best choice that you can under bad circumstances. It happens to ALL of us and it's part of living this as a lifestyle and not a diet. I say "well done".
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 10:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Small amounts of whatever I have and I spread them out. I live with a DH and sons 22 and 17. I often can't find something I thought I had!

Oh oh ... and boiled eggs. They are a staple for me. The nearly perfect convenience food.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:14 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

I keep loads of no yogurt and cheesesticks in the fridge. It rarely happens that I'm totally out because I'm basically sick of the stuff and I don't eat it as much as I used to, so there is usually some in the fridge! My other back up is oatmeal and protein powder.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 09:30 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Silver I've OFTEN had a slice of WW bread and peanut butter in a pinch it's a great healthy item to tie you over to the next meal...My favourite staple lately is oatmeal soaked in milk or soy milk with splenda along with a 4 egg white omellette... I sometimes eat this 2-3 times/day...

The shakes, I've often had them, for me, I've noticed it's because I haven't eaten enough at the last meal or too processed a meal and it hasn't carried me over the 3 hours ... probably due to low blood sugar I would think...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 08:55 AM   #9  

Mmmm, yes must be the blood sugar thing, I get it sometimes, not as much as I used to though!!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 AM   #10  

I actually had someone who ate my lunch, homemade in Tupperware out of the company fridge. Now it just grossed me out because they had no idea how long it had been there or who had cooked it.

I keep shakes for real last minute panics, but also a list of places near the office with good food choices.

APPLE is right, planning is the key to success.

Also found that once I went low carb, the shaking from low blood sugar has all but stopped, I am assuming since I am more careful about how high it goes, it doesn't bottom out either. No more cranky "get me food now" moods.

SUSAN B - reminds me to hard boil some eggs when I get home tonight.

Overall, one tough situation is not the same as a lifestyle that is based on no plan at all. I believe we can survive a less than perfect meal out of 21 or 42. I am not looking for perfection, just to do better.
Sugar Cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 02:37 PM   #11  
Lovin' Zumba!

I stash cans of tuna fish all over the place - work, home, trunk of car, as an emergency food source. As long as I have that and a can opener, I can make it through the next 2-3 hours.
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 03:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

saltines with the no-fat butter spray have come in handy for me.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 07:56 AM   #13  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Cube
I actually had someone who ate my lunch, homemade in Tupperware out of the company fridge. Now it just grossed me out because they had no idea how long it had been there or who had cooked it.
People are extraordinary! That is vile!

Now I know I can ask you all. As you know, some things just don't cross continents. Or, at least, get through to me on my mountain top.

Q1. Can you tell me what saltines are? My guess: salty biscuits?

Q2. What are cheese strings? My guess: they are related to string cheese but I haven't got a clue what that is. Something processed?

Thanks everyone. Knowledge is power, as you know.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #14  
WW Moderator

Saltines are also called soda crackers. Plain white salty crackers. String cheese is just strips of cheese in wrappers. It always used to be mozzarella cheese, but over the last couple of years they've started mixing them with yellow cheddar and sometimes Monterey Jack. I don't think you have Jack cheese - something between a white cheddar and mozzarella.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:36 AM   #15  

Silverbirch,

I always try to keep some whole wheat bread in the freezer. When an emergency comes by I thaw it out and eat one or two slices, even dry is ok. I also get the shakes when I don't eat enough and this helps me. Boiled eggs (whites) as mentioned above are also good.
Tinned (canned) vegetables like string beans combined with bread or eggs also work. not your gourmet meal, I'll admit, but it keeps you going...
I actually had one slice of dry bread this morning between meals. it was all I had left but it kept me going until lunch.

Lieke
Greekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote