Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 11:56 PM   #1  

Thumbs down What are you having a hard time finding?

Tonight I went to my usual gro. store and was sad to find they didn't have FF ricotta OR FF plain yogurt! They had plain low fat, or vanilla fat free! Frustrating!

(I'm in So. California, if anyone has a chain to recomend for these items!)
Old 10-03-2004, 12:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I can't find polenta anywhere! I've looked and looked. I know I can make my own but I want to buy a tube of it instead. So I'll keep looking. I don't think my stores have ff ricotta but it does have ff plain yogurt. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Socaltex - where do you live? I can't find plain fat-free yogurt in the small individual containers but I can find it in the large containers (bottom shelf) at Super Wal-Mart (Great Value and Dannon), Frys (Division of Kroger I think Von's is too) on the bottom shelf too, as well as Safeway and Albertson's on the bottom shelf. All are the large (4 serving) containers -- which actually ends up being cheaper than buying individual sizes).

As for the ricotta when I go shopping this week I will look to see if I can find it but I don't use it so I can't for certain say it is out there.

spryng - dn't know what to tell you about the poltenta...did they maybe move it to a different area?
Old 10-03-2004, 12:41 PM   #4  

Spryng -
I find that tube polenta is in a different spot in every store I go to...sometimes near dry italian food - sometimes near the deli case. Also have you tried Cost Plus/World Market?

p.s. I really prefer homemade because the tube kind is so firm in texture. Even the instant variety put it in a long tureen type dish to firm up tastes better to me. Slicing and warming up is then just as easy the tube type.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:16 PM   #5  

I found polenta today!!!! I normally shop at walmart supercenter because my little town grocery store doesn't carry certain things I like, but today I didn't feel like driving to the next town (which is where the supercenter is) so I shopped at my local grocery store and there is was in the produce section!! (next to the fresh herbs and organic stuff) so I got a tube of polenta with mushrooms and onions, so now my question is... what do I do with it?? lol.. just slice it up, heat it in a pan and eat it just like that or do you need to put sauce on it or something?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #6  

Exactly - slice it up and saute in olive oil, add a little salt and pepper and maybe a sprinkle of parm. It is great as a base for tomato sauce and a little mozzerella, veggies, etc. like little pizzas. I also love it with an artichoke bottom, tomato sauce and a poached egg on top. Try layering thin slices of polenta instead of noodles to make a lasagne type dish. A littel bit of pesto goes really well on top of polenta as well.

Enjoy!
Old 10-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #7  

Thanks Susie! That all sounds delicious! I think I will make some for lunch tomorrow and see how I like it, or maybe for breakfast because the egg idea sounded great too! I've never poached an egg but I'm sure I can give it a try, lol.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:10 AM   #8  
Janette

I can't find ffcheese in either shredded or block form.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 AM   #9  

what about ff slices?
Old 10-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

LOL at the places stores put the tubes of polenta. I find it in mine in the "health food" section - with the Thai and Indian foods! I can get FF plain yogurt in either size - usually store brand for the small size or Mountain High for the quarts. Also try the "health food" for Nancy's Yogurt which is really good. I find ff ricotta with the regular ricotta (also lf). FF cheese varies - some times I can find it, sometimes not.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 PM   #11  

The only thing I have a hard time finding is the really low fat ground meat. I buy the Maverick brand & it seems Publix has it sporadically lately. I usually end up buying vegan Boca Burgers instead, but I want some real meat lol!
Old 10-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #12  
Cowboy Up Chick

Most stores should have their own brands of 92-96% lean ground meat. I find even Wal-Mart carries it. If there isn't any out ask the butcher for some.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #13  
Happy Loser

I've only been able to find ff ricotta in Food Lion, but I can't find ff parmesan at all. Walmart used to carry their own brand of it, but now they've stopped.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #14  

FF ricotta -- who makes it?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Usual brand is Precious.
Closed Thread