Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 11:05 AM   #1  

Question Question on how to count something....

OK, thought I would run this by people here.....
I want to make a chicken paremeson type of entree this evening.
I have purchased Perdue low fat breaded boneless white meat chicken filtets. If I use the info on their package, they figure out to be 3 points. They are baked, not fried.
I know from my ww info that a plain, skinless, chicken breast is 3 points, just like these breaded ones are.
OK.... I'm doing core and I know they keep saying something like "if it isn't CORE, than it needs to be counted as points", but this is the same points as a plain chicken breast that is core. So, opinions????
I'd like to not have to count the points, naturally, but if I should, I will.
I want to use canned diced tomatoes that have been cooked for a bit in sauteed onion and garlic with a bit of seasonings like oregano and basil. I will pour this over the top of the breaded chicken and then top with ff mozarella and a sprinkle of low fat parmeson (which I will count the points for). I'm going to cover and put in the oven until heated and the cheese melts. I'm going to serve this with whole wheat pasta on the side, with garlic and olive oil. A salad with ff dressing will accompany my meal.
I'm really looking forward to this meal, but don't want to NOT count the points, If I should. My gut tells me, but I know this is a core "no no", to only maybe count 1 point for the breaded part, as the rest is core.
So, would love to know what you all think? I know there are a few ww leaders who are posting here, but also a few long term lifetime veterans.
Count it all? Count some? Count none?
Linda, looking forward to dinner no matter how I count it!
Old 09-29-2004, 11:37 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Those chicken breasts are processed meats so you need to count the whole breast.

why not take plain chicken breasts and pound them to 1/2-1/4" and bread yourself with egg and bread crumbs then you'll only need to count the bread crumbs.

Like I stated the chicken patties are processed meats (usually have added sodium, broths and preservatives along with the breading and egg).

Secondly check your packages because I get 6 ounces of chicken breast for 4 points. The 3 points for a breast is a general to only be used when you don't have nutritonal info available and that is only for a 3 ounce breast (about the size of a deck of cards).
Old 09-29-2004, 11:38 AM   #3  

I would count one point for the breading. I think your instincts are good.

How do you like Core? I'm a lifetime member struggling to stay at goal, and so far I really like it. It seems to work really well, though I've only been doing it for a week officially.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Hmmm... that would be a tough one for me too. Can you post the ingrediants from the back of the box for us so we can see how processed that chicken really is? I would say count the whole thing since you can't be sure what the fillers and such are and is there sugar in it?? But post the ingredients and we can give you a better answer. HTH
Old 09-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #5  

Sure, I could make my own and only count the points for the added things vs. the chicken, but in today's busy times have to admit I am looking for some short cuts!
Will list the nutrition facts and type in all the ingredients.... of which there are several.
The product is called, officially, "4 baked, breaded Low Fat Chicken Breast Cutlets, "homestyle". Serving size 1 cutlet, 4 per pack.
Calories 140
Total Fat 3g
Cholesterol 35 mg
sodium 510 mg (probably preservative?)
Total carb 14g
Protien 14 g
Iron 4%
"not a significant source of fiber"
I got 3 points each when I used my points finder.
Ingredients: Boneless, skinless, chicken breast with rib meat, chicken broth, bleached wheat flour, 2% or less soybean oil, modified food starch, seasoning, salt, chicken flavor, salt, sodium lactate, potatssium lactate, corn flake fines, absorbic acid, sugar , flavorings, whey sodium phosphaes, partially hydrogenated why protien, egg whites, wheat, salt, potassium sorbate, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast, extractive of paprika, xanthan gum, butter flavor.

Sounds dubious, doesn't it? Guess I need to, at least, count a point for that stuff?
Linda
Old 09-29-2004, 02:47 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

The "sodium lactate, potatssium lactate, corn flake fines, absorbic acid, sugar , flavorings, whey sodium phosphaes, partially hydrogenated why protien, egg whites, wheat, salt, potassium sorbate, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, yeast, extractive of paprika, xanthan gum, butter flavor." is usually stuff added or injected into the chicken which makes it a noncore food. Just like the grilled chicken at McDonald's is not a Core food.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Guess there ain't no shortcuts...sigh....
Old 09-29-2004, 03:38 PM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Yeah I know. We looked at the grilled chicken ingredients for Mcdonalds and it is like a goodsize paragraph long. This is the same way.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:03 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

I'd just "suck it up" and count the points this time. Maybe in the future, you could make your own breaded breasts ahead of time and freeze them? Or, I'm betting this recipe would be just as good using just boneless, skinless breasts - no breading at all!
Old 09-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #10  
Janette

I would agree you need to count it. It is about as processed as it gets (wouldn't bleached wheat flour just be white flour--why not say so?) not to mention the sugar. I agree that the recipe would probably taste just as good with just plain breasts. But I understand you want to use "what you have" on hand. I went to lunch today and had 1 slice of veggie pizza--will count it 3pts. according to the book, if I had known it was that low I would have eaten two slices

This "processed" food thing gets kinda involved. It is amazing what we have been eating all this time and thinking we are just eating "meat" when all along we are eating a combination of all kinds of things--mainly chemicals to keep it "fresh" for a long shelf life.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #11  

You guys are so right and I am so glad I asked! I'm going to enjoy this meal, but think twice about using this product again! I wonder if oatmeal (core!) could be used after dipping a chicken breast in beaten egg white? Wonder if it would brown? Hmmm....
Love you guys when it comes to getting up to date info!
Wonder when the food manufacturers are going to catch on and get on the "core" bandwagon a bit? Wouldn't have minded if these chicken breasts were frozen and fronzen "fresh" vs. having all those ingredients!
Oh well, it's in the over now and it smells incredible in here, I'll enjoy this meal, add the points to my weekly total and then move on.... at least these will be the only flex points today for me, been a good core girl otherwise!
Thanks again,
Linda
Old 09-29-2004, 07:49 PM   #12  
Janette

My week starts on Sunday and I have used an incredible amount of points this week (for me anyway). I only have 21 left. Well, it will either make me lose, make me stay the same or make me gain. Only way to find out is to push the boundaries, I guess.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:33 AM   #13  

By the way, if anyone does check back here.... it came out really nice and the family all highly complimented it. It was easy to make and even if I did count the points, it was worth it in the end!
Linda
Old 09-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #14  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftieslady
...and I have used an incredible amount of points this week (for me anyway). I only have 21 left...
To me 21 points left from the WPAs is not a low number. You only used 14 of them.?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:22 AM   #15  

That is exactly what I thought, Kelly! I usually use all my pts! I think thats why I am struggling with this Core plan over the Flex Plan. Once those pts are gone, they are gone. Oh well, I am going to give it at least the rest of this week...
Closed Thread