South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 AM   #1  

Default I've made a great new yogurt discovery!

I couldn't face any more egg breakfasts so decided to buy some yogurt. I was looking at Dannon FF plain which looked pretty good, but then I noticed that the Total 2% Greek yogurt had even less sugar. Not to mention that it is CREEEEAAAAAMY and so delicious. Here are the stats:

Dannon Total
Total Carb 14 8
Sugars 13 8
Total fat 0 4

Okay so now I now why it tastes much better - the fat! But I'll take that over the sugar..... Plus you can buy Total 0% which has the same carb/sugar as the 2% but has no fat. It's much yummier than Dannon. I put some Splenda and a splash of maple extract in it. Hope you guys can find some and give it a try.

Sootie
Old 09-19-2004, 11:05 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've never seen greek yogurt in the stores and trust me I looked after I made a visit to greece Although recently when making some tzatziki, I used a cheesecloth to get a lot of the water out of the yogurt and it reminded me more of the yogurt I had in greece (which was full fat goat's milk I'm sure).
Old 09-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #3  

Exclamation Total--important news--get it while you can!!

Total Greek yogurt is DIVINE--I could eat quarts of it. The 0%, with 80 calories and 15g of protein, is my breakfast every day, with Fiber 1, blueberries, and SF maple syrup (except on Phase I of course).

However, you will probably not be able to get it in your area for long, because the company is having a legal problem right now with the USDA. There is NO problem with the quality of the yogurt, but their import permit has expired or something and the company is having to make new arrangements with individual states to sell it. All the Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in my area (Boston, MA) have recently posted signs where they usually stock it explaining that there will be a temporary delay, possibly 6-8 weeks, until they can stock it again.

Luckily, if you can still buy it right now, it keeps for a pretty long time, and you can freeze it too, so if you love it, go out and stock up--I believe this is a nationwide issue.

I couldn't believe it myself--I am heartbroken--but these are the facts as I have heard them from reputable sources.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:36 PM   #4  

Thanks for the heads up belly dancer - I will stock up on my latest find. It is SOOO good.

Sootie
Old 09-19-2004, 08:19 PM   #5  
I vant to draw your blood

If anyone is interested, you can try making lebne, which is a Lebanese version of cream cheese. I absolutely adore it.

Just take a quart of plain yogurt (any type you prefer. I use Brown Cow Organic) and line a colander with cheesecloth. Dump the yogurt in and let it drain for a while until it stops dripping whey.

I like to spread it on whole grain pita triangles and sprinkle it with zaatar (a Middle Eastern spice mix with thyme and sumac).

Try sprinkling it with garlic powder and dried dill weed as well and spread on celery. Yum!!

Mamacita
Closed Thread