Old 09-15-2004, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/260/160

Smile HELP! Atkins Newbie!

I am new to 3fatchicks.com. I have decided that I CAN NOT go one more day overweight. I have decided to make a lifestyle change. I have 2 small kids that I need to set a good example for. I am going to Cancun in November and don't want to look like a beached whale! I want to start the Atkins plan tomorrow. I would like to know what is a good menu to start out with. I am a carboholic! I know I have a 2 week induction phase that will help my cravings. I would just like to know from people who are actually doing the Atkins plan what has worked for them.
grn ize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #2  
Somethin's gotta give

Cancun! cool...... and welcome- I've never met a more supportive bunch of hot babes than on this forum

You know what you CAN eat on this diet right? the permitted stuff?....my suggestion is to make...uh....combined dishes? out of the foods...like not JUST hardboiled eggs, but deviled eggs maybe.....I found when I started ( pick a time, anytime) that boring would make me crack-
I eat lots of eggs fixed different ways, a lot ( maybe too much) of processed meats, pepperoni slices are my favorite, chicken or shrimp salad on pork rinds, green beans with bacon, chef salads, etc....

ps -to other members...Im in big time ketosis as of today....now I really need to know how my breath is
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #3  

Hi Grn ize

First and foremost you really need to read the book. It will help you understand why your body is doing what it is doing and why it is good for you. Everyone here know's there stuff as well, but the book will give you a constant reference.

What to eat what to eat....I love eggs and keep a bowl stocked with hard boiled eggs in my fridge at all times. Deviled eggs are one of the big benefits of not having to eat all the low fat junk. Most of the time I eat an egg or two in the morning with bacon or sausage depending on how much time I have, but when that gets too boring for me I have chicken salad spread on celery for breakfast. Canned chicken makes it quick and easy. I've recently discovered ground turkey as my favorite burger meat. I usually make 2 thin patties and grill or fry them with a piece of cheese or shredded cheddar in the middle (seal the burgers at the edges around the cheese). I also eat a lot of salmon....I love it baked with butter and dill. I don't have a lot of room left to even think about eating carby stuff after I eat a big salad with dinner or lunch. Blue cheese crumbles on my salads every once in a while keep me from getting too bored with the green stuff.

Man, I eat a lot don't I?

Good luck!
Jules
Loozingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:06 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

Amber: Welcome!!! Everything they've said is absolutely correct. We always can NOT stress it enough: READ THE BOOK. It tells you what you can and can't have the first 2 weeks. So your tastes for food kind of follows the ingredients. Just remember--it doesn't start out easy. Changing habits isn't easy. But you can do it

Marie: You lucky duck!!! I don't think I've been in ketosis in months!! I'd really like to get some more of this weight off. *sigh*

Jules: Isn't it amazing what a healthy salad does to an appetite??
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 08:37 AM   #5  

Amber: I will say it too....read the book or go to www.atkins.com and check it out there. You need to have the basics down before you can understand this WOE. It is not all meat and cheese as the critics say. We also have a FAQ thread here that has a lot of great tips and ideas. Check it out.

As for food that I eat.......I don't do a lot of eggs anymore but when I did it was either egg salad or deviled eggs for breakfast. I was never really into the sausage thing...I can do it just didn't want that big of a breakfast.
For lunches I have salad with either tuna or deli meats etc in it. Goat cheese is a favorite if I have a mesculin salad.
Dinners are chicken, chicken, chicken....no just kidding....I am not a very adventurous eater so there is only so much I can eat. I love beef but only do it once twice a week. I have chicken twice and other nights I just wing it (no pun intended) Sometimes I am better at digging out a recipe than others and sometimes I just grill whatever is there.

The key that I have found is that there is nothing you CAN'T have....just reinvent it. For example if you like pizza like me ....I make mine on a low carb tortilla and I make my own sauce so I know it is low in sugar. If you like mashed potatoes then try the mashed cauliflower. Now I didn't like it but I know alot of the gals on here do. Pasta? Try spagetti squash. See? It isn't about not eating things it is about eating OTHER things.

Welcome aboard!
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 10:47 PM   #6  

Default another sort of newbie

I have tried Atkins before but never made it thru induction. That was a yr or so ago. Since I'm type II diabetic, it seems to make sense to make this my WOE. I started induction monday. By wednesday I was up 3lbs and today down 3lbs. So basically I'm right where I started on monday. My sugar readings are worse, which I don't understand. And I can't get those darn keto sticks to turn more than a trace if that. This is the problems I had previously and why I never made it thru induction. I know I'm eating too much at night, though I am eating foods OP. But the dh is always munching( he quit smoking 5mos ago, and he is a carb nut. Candy, cookies, chips grrrrr

Anyway, I've always had doubts about this WOE because of the high fat & protein, but thought when I saw by blood sugars improving and the weight coming off that I would get over those doubts. I know it's only been 5 days but 0 lbs and no ketosis?

Then I read some bio's and though some people have done very well, many seem to be losing very slowly over the course of a yr or more.

Can anybody make sense of this?
Thanks
Donna
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 09:00 AM   #7  
Baby Steps

Welcome Donna. It's possible that whatever you're eating at night is preventing the weight loss. And depends on what you're eating--if you're eating something with sugar alcohol that could be the factor. Or drinking caffeine. There could be a lot of reasons for the non-weight loss. And from your stats looks like you only need/want to lose 10 pounds. Unfortunately the closer you are to goal weight the slower you lose. So it's possible that you're going to lose even slower than some people. Also, have you taken measurements? It's possible you've lost INCHES. I say give it a good couple weeks and then re-evaluate what you've eaten/drank and see if you've lost weight or inches.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:23 AM   #8  

Good morning Donna, welcome.

I just wanted to add that I test darker with my ketostix in the afternoon when my body is processing the food that I've eaten.

Stick with it!

Hugs
Jules
Loozingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:38 PM   #9  
Somethin's gotta give

Hey Donna~
Ive had the ketosis problem before too- I'll list a few things that stall me....because when I stopped doing them I got dark purple in just a couple days

*ANY kind of low carb candy- I dont care WHAT they claim, those carbs count.....some times I'll eat one bite when Im really craving....

* too much diet soda- guess the caffeine, but I switch to crystal lite or root beer

* using low carb products during induction- stick to the naturals

*testing too much- this was a bad one for me, I'd get a reaction once and be so jazzed I'd test 5 more times that day! when it wasnt turning I'd think "failure" but it really depends how much water you drink to be able to see a big reaction....I think water is key, but try limiting it for just a day and test about 4 in the afternoon....

I had a hard time with induction too...right now Im OP and feeling great- to whoever said it a few days ago, the Dr. Phil quote (Hows that workin for ya?) was a great help! Now whenever I want to cheat, or drink too much or some such thing I ask myself that question....it always makes me reevaluate whats really going on!

Donna- why don't you post exactly what you eat for a couple days and let these ladies look at it- they are GREAT and catching mistakes and maybe they could help you refine your menu....

Last edited by marie.; 09-18-2004 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #10  

Default Thanks for listening, you guys are great....

Brenda,
I only wish I had 10 lbs to lose. Look again. I need to lose 100 That's why I thought it would be falling off during induction. I have been eating too much at night. But now that I'm not craving carbs anymore, I'm hoping that will subside. I'm not eating any low carb stuffs(processed) mainly meat, cheese, eggs, pork rinds(I try to limit those, just need the crunch sometimes)
I do chew a couple pieces of sugar free gum each day and I never gave up the caffeine. I went to Low Carb Friends and many people(actually most) never gave up coffee(w/caffeine) and have been very successful. They say the reason to cut caffeine is that is sparks appetite and causes cravings. But for me and many that responded to my question, it actually supresses cravings. But I will try to curb the nite eating. My problem has always been that I don't eat enough throughout the day and then eat too much at nite.
But I must say for the first time in YEARS it felt great to walk by the constant supply of candy corn(my favorite) at work. WOO HOO!

Marie,
I am definitely trying to avoid those low carb products. I don't want to get used to eating the fake versions of the foods I should avoid eating for the rest of my life. I do drink at least 64 oz of water a day. Maybe this weekend I'll test better. I never seem to get all my water in on the weekend like I do during the week. The week is so much more structured and easier to stay on program.

Jules,
I will try the afternoon. I think if I saw the scale move, I wouldn't put so much emphasis on the sticks. But to be honest, though I haven't got on the scale today, I feel much less bloated in my abdominal area(my big problem area, typical diabetic body shape of the apple, rotten apple

So thanks everyone, I will try to post my food for a couple days. I hope I dont' shock anyone. It's not pretty.

so far today I had the mock danish for breakfast(made w/egg & cream cheese)
2 large cups of coffee w/heavy cream
then a few hours later some pork rinds and a couple slices of muenster.
32 oz water as of 3pm.

Last edited by DonnaD; 09-18-2004 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:53 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hey Donna !!

Sugarfree gum has anywhere from 1 - 3 carbs per piece. A couple of pieces a day adds up quick.

One thing to remember, Atkins is not an All You Can Eat diet, you must watch your portions. I gained on my 3rd week b/c my calories were over 2,000 OY VEY, live and learn huh.

Some people (not you Donna) think atkins is an all you can eat bacon and butter diet. They really need to read the book. They don't understand that it is LEAN meats and it is portion controlled, Atkins suggests not going over a couple of oz of meats per meal. Along with a few oz of cheese a day, etc.

I think once your on it for a few weeks, you really start to master the idea and it becomes second nature. Like any diet plan, its not a quick fix, you need to get serious with it.

I found by eating fish and chicken that kept me satisfied and my calories low

Good Luck Chickies You can do it !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 06:51 PM   #12  
Baby Steps

Sorry Donna!! My only excuse was too little sleep!!! I bet you can do it! It'll happen soon!!!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:51 AM   #13  

Hey Leenie,

How have you been? I hope all is well.
Now I only read the induction chapter of the book. I read it in it's entirety a year or so ago. But what I remember is that is was not a quantitive diet. He also lists lean and fatty meats. Actually some (I visit low carb friends site)
even suggest an increase in fat. But I do think I'm eating to many calories. I notice with each day, cravings are so much less. That's amazing. Sometimes I just want something because I see it, miss it and know it tastes good. But I feel like I've got thru these 6 days, I'm going to keep going. (though today I have the tummy rumbles again...if you know what I mean. It's been off and on for a couple of days )

So I will try to watch how much I eat. I will try not to get caught up in those keto sticks ( I'm told they are not very accurate)

Well, I hope everyone has a nice sunday.
ttyl
Old 09-19-2004, 06:13 PM   #14  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Hey GRN!

I love doing atkins. I have had a huge amount of sucess since starting the program in early June of this year. To date, I have lost 47 pounds! Never did I imagine that it would work this well or this fast. My advise to you is read all you can about the diet. It will help you understand the nuts and bolts of this WOE and keep you enthuastic. I visit Atkins.com daily. They have a great Journal you can use to track carbs, exercise and weight loss.

Good luck in your journey and never look back!
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:36 PM   #15  
Somethin's gotta give

47 pounds in 3 months!!! that is great!