Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 264.2/264.2/150

Height: 5'5"

Post Newbie

Hi Everyone

I'd like to introduce myself, and really get involved with this community.

Name: Amanda
Married: Yes
Kids: Christian 5, Haleigh 4
Work: yes, WAHM/ direct sales
High weight: 245 (where I'm at now)
Goal weight: 145
Diet? My own plan

Well there are the basics, lol. I figured that most of my calories were coming from soda. So I went and bought a 24pk of Aquafina and a case of Diet Dr Pepper. I only have soda w/ meals and drink water the rest of the time. I am paying closer attention to what I eat, and am making sure to eat 3 meals per day. Problem is, I still feel hungry and I am eating plenty of calories.
I am determined to get this weight off and improve my fitness and health. It's embarrassing, but I bought a step and video and tried it out yesterday, and I only lasted 5 minutes on the thing!! I had no idea that I was THAT out of shape, lol. Oh well, I'll build up to more time. I am doing strength training w/ dumb bells as well.

Oh well, I'm babbling now, LOL. I look forward to getting to know you all!

Amanda

SW: 245
CW: 245
GW: 145
MG1: 225
MG2: 200
Jldsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #2  
2006 - Panda Remix

From one Amanda to another, may I be the first to welcome you to the 100lb club!

This really is a great place to find all the support, advice and motivation you will need!

Well done for committing to losing weight for good, that is a big step. Are you calorie counting? I am and allow myself 1500 - 1600 cals a day. If you are still hungry, maybe your calorie allowance is too low, or you are not getting the 'most value' out of your calories. Make sure you fill up with lots of fruit and veg and pasta and rice (unless you are low carbing). Also, I found that when I first reduced my portion sizes, I felt a little hungry - it does wear off after a few days and now although my portions are half the size they used to be, they fill me up just fine!

Well done for buying a step and a video - step is not the easiest of exercise, so you did well to do 5 mins! Like you say, just build it up gradually. The more you move, the more you lose - so try to increase your daily activity, say by adding a short walk each day.

Post often and I look forward to getting to know you better!

Love Amanda x
Amanda Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 AM   #3  

Hi Amanda, Thanks for the welcome!

I'm not low carbing...I can't live without potatoes, bread, & pasta LOL. However, I have switched from eating sandwiches on white bread to having them in 1/2 a whole wheat pita. I am allowing myself 1400-1700 cals per day. The hunger may be the reduced portion sizes. I'll stick it out for a few days and see if I get over it before I change what I'm doing.
I stuck with the step for 7 minutes today, LOL. I think I'll do tae bo tomorrow, it's less strenuous (sp?) on my knees. Plus maybe I can stick it out for a full 10 min. LOL. Wish me luck!
Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I used to be an avid member of the step class scene I would highly recommend start with the lowest step and if you get tired, do the exercise without a step at all. You can switch back and forth from using no step to the low step to help build your endurance.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 05:32 PM   #5  
missaprylj

Yep, I started "stepping" on Tuesday, and I love it....

Hello, Amanda! I'm Apryl. Welcome to the forum; great things are happening here every day. Jump right in.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 PM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

Amanda,

Welcome Luv! Glad to have you here!

I'm Celina, 21 years old live in Alberta, Canada work full time and usually am in school part-time. I've struggled with my weight for many years now and this time I've sworn to myself that I will be succesful so we can do this together. I'm the same current weight as you and we have the same mini-goal -- even better, we can work at it together lb. for lb.!

Quote Apryl "Great things are happening here every day...." <--- I love that quote!

And she's right, this board inspires and motivates me everyday and it will be the same for you! Jump right in and enjoy... Let's take this journey together and share each other's success, downfalls and everyday life! We're all here to meet the same goal!

Good Luck and I'm with ya Girlfriend!

Cheers,
Celina
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:45 PM   #7  
Losin' it forever!

Default Welcome Amanda!

Hello Amanda! I'm Kim, aka LakeGirl and just wanted to welcome you and say hello! I've only been here a few weeks myself, but having been on some other weight loss boards in the past, I just want to say that this one is the best! You will not find people who are a better source of knowledge, inspiration and support!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 11:18 PM   #8  

Hi All, thank so much for the warm welcome! I've been reading the threads on this forum and I have truly gained alot of information already!
I've got a question, though, kind of wierd actually, but here goes. When you have alot of weight to lose like we do, do you end up with "hangy skin" ?? That is the one thing that scares me about losing weight, LOL. My EX sister inlaw lost a good deal of weight (too quickly due to drug use) and she had tons of hangy skin on her belly. I am hoping that hers was a result of her rapid weight loss. If I lose at a normal rate, my skin should tighten back up right? I hope...
Old 09-10-2004, 12:02 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 376/319/170

Height: 5'2

yeah i think that if you lose at a good rate, (which most docs say an average loss of 1-2 lbs per week is good), i think the skin will shrink itself, but I may be wrong here? Anyone know for sure?
heather_dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 12:20 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I've always heard that if you lose at a moderate rate, that most of your skin will shrink as you shrink I think it also depends on a few things like hereditary factors and how long you have been overweight. If you lose at a fast rate via a method such as surgery, then surgery is usually needed to remove the excess skin.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 09:59 AM   #11  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile Welcome Amanda!

Hello, Amanda, and welcome! Congrat's on your progress thus far in making such positive changes!! Great job! You'll find here within this group so much kindness and support, and a real sense of community.

A quick note on the topic of loose skin; it's a very real possibility for a great many of us. If you do a search here within this website, you'll find an enormous number of references to this legitimate concern. This thread is a great place to start. Amanda, I'm concerned about it also; I have lost 61 pounds so far (since 3/1/04) and have about another 88 to go before I get to my goal weight range. I'm 40, and am already seeing reduced elasticity in the skin on my stomach after going down from a size 26 to an 18. It may recover as (or within a year after) I lose the rest -- or it may not. Obviously, I hope it does, but if not, I'll still have lost about 150 pounds, so the benefits of that far outweigh the possible reality of having extra, loose skin. Some people can afford to have it removed, some can't....it just kind of is what it is. I'll take it as a necessary byproduct, though, if I have to; I'm sort of preparing myself now. What's the alternative, anyway? Stay fat, with nice taut skin pulled across a big belly? NO WAY! Sorry, don't mean to be glib, but I've been thinking about it lately, and I'm talking as much to myself as to you.

Don't let it deter you from losing the weight, though.......the benefits of being healthy, slender, and active far outweigh the potential disappointment of some extra skin.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I could've swore I posted something in here yesterday welcoming you but I guess the gremlins like my message better.
Anyway, welcome aboard and WTG on the exercise. I wouldn't worry about only doing 5 minutes. As long as you keep trying to surpass that time you're doing great. Before long you're going to make it all the way through and then wonder about that day you could only do 5 minutes. Keep up the good work.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #13  

Sarah, I agree 100%...Being healthy is more important that some extra skin, but I was just wondering what to expect...Unfortunately, I am one of those that wouldnt be able to afford to have it removed, LOL.
Had a horrible day today...I'm PMSing, and I got a call from my son's school today, informing me that they dont think he's mature enough for kindergarten and would I consider placing him in the Pre-K class...I could just lay down and cry...I drank 4 regular Cokes today...But on the bright side, my DH let me buy a ski maching at the goodwill, lol. Only $15, and it wont kill my knees, LOL.
Back on track tomorrow...Lots of housework to do, lol.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:07 AM   #14  
Getting back on track!

Hello Amanda!!!!
Hope your day today is better!
Annie-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote