Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #1  

Default Help! My tummy!

OK, so I know that you can't "spot reduce" your abdominals, but I seriously don't know what to do about them. I know that I need to lose fat, but fat doesn't seem to want to leave this area. Does anyone know how to get rid of tummy flab? I need help!! I guess I should try to incorporate more cardio. Does anyone know any good cardio video tapes? Are the Richard Simmon's tapes cardio workouts? Any information on making my abs look better is appreciated!!
UnCafeCvooPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #2  

hey, I think the best way is to incorporate cadio along with classes that focus on your body, such as pilates .x
simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:09 PM   #3  

Hey!! I've also been trying to find information on how to help get rid of that pain-in-the-butt fat that won't leave the stomach/abdominal area! lol My BF told me of a few exercises that at least help to tone the area ... he said lie flat on your back with a pillow under the lower back, and your legs bent up, resting on the couch. Then he said you put your arms behind your head, and basically do a sit-up or a "krunch" ... first going 'straigt', then to the left, then to the right ... I've tried doing just straight krunches before as well ... sort of like half-sit ups...they're supposed to be better on your back, and have helped me start to tone the area up before ... if you come across any other ideas, please let me know!! And I'll be sure to do the same!
Hockeychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:52 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

There's a saying : "Abs are made in the kitchen"

When it comes to abs unfortunately it's what you eat that will lean out that area. The cleaner and unprocessed the foods the better... Altho crunches don't hurt either ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:06 AM   #5  

So not just eating less... It actually matters which foods? Are you sure about this?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Absolutely...you can eat 600 calories worth of junk food...and 600 calories worth of clean, healthy food-whole grain products, lean protein, fresh fruits and veggies-and they do NOT affect your body in the same way. When you eat all the processed junk-your body can't use it. It's like trying to fuel your car with Kool-Aid. You should obviously eat less calories than you would normally-but the quality of the food matters too.

You can't spot reduce-but you can spot shape through strength training, Pilates, and belly dancing-these are all great for the abs. If you still have a little weight to lose-you may not see the results until you are a little closer to goal. If you are an apple body type-the belly area may be your last place to hold onto that fat. ( I am an hourglass shape-I get great abs, chest, back, and shoulders really quickly-but I hold the extra fat in my upper arms and buns/thighs areas.)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:59 AM   #7  

This sucks!! I can't give up my junk food...at least not yet. I guess I will try to do it gradually. This makes me sad.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:24 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Cool

Aphil -- I couldn't have said it better myself, great post...

UnCafe -- You don't have to give up junk at all, you just have to be more cautious with it, treat yourself to it once weekly instead of once daily. After a while when you don't have it you won't crave it as much and when you do have it it'll make your stomach go flip-flop and won't agree with you. I for one when I eat anything white, pasta, rice, bread or something with alot of sugar, I just want to curl up and go to sleep. I also noticed that when I start eating the white stuff I start getting a fat pocket below my belly-button when I stop eating the processed stuff the fat pocket goes too... So now I don't eat that stuff much... I'm not 100% perfect yet, but I'm trying! HTH

Last edited by Lanaii1; 08-23-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #9  
FerretNose

When I began my fitness program, I was sure that my tummy would be the hardest area. But I have been doing pilates every other day for 30 min. and it has made a big difference. You have got to get that area strong. I use the Crunch Pick Your Spot Pilates, which can be bought at Wal-Mart for under 12 bucks.

I also do belly dancing, about twice a week. This can really help that area. In fact, for several years, it was my only real form of exercising. Glad to see another dancer here, Aphil. I thought that was an abaya you wore in your pics, and I was right. It's purdy.
F.
FerretNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Thank You FerretNose! (Good eye by the way! )
Yes-I have been belly dancing for about 3 years now!
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #11  

I tried my belly dancing tapes today and they were killer on the tummy!! I'm going to work at it until I can do the whole tape.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 PM   #12  

I'm not sure if some of the foods I eat are considered healthy or not, so I thought I would post them and hopefully get some feedback.
Select Italian style wedding soup
Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine meals
air popped popcorn
frozen yogurt

The rest of my diet pretty much consists of:sushi, shrimp, icecream, oatmeal cream pie cookies, and swiss cake rolls

What I ate today:
1) package of swiss cake rolls w/coffee (280 cals)
2) oatmeal cream pie (170 cals)
3) Select Italian Style Wedding Soup (220)
4) Healthy Choice Stuffed Shells (290)
5) Carbolite frozen yogurt on cone (100)
6) 1/4 cup unpopped popcorn, popped (130)
7) Morning Star Corn Dog (150)

I know I'm forgetting something else....my calories for today are about 1500.

Last edited by UnCafeCvooPlay; 08-23-2004 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:28 PM   #13  
FerretNose

ooh, I'd say that's not very condusive to weight loss, even though you've kept the calories so low. Swiss cakes? Corn dogs? You'll make it hard on yourself because those are empty calories. If you're anything like me, you'll be okay for about a week eating fewer calories, but empty calories, then go on a rampage.

I am also keeping my calories at about 1500, 1600 when I work out harder. It took me over a month to figure out that keeping calories down without running out of energy or feeling deprived was like trying to feed a whole family on a tiny budget. You have to get more nutritional bang for your calorie buck. Eating some good quality, high fiber-high protein cereal (like Kashi GoLean) with skim milk and a piece of fruit will be about the same calories as a swiss cake and coffee- but you get more vitamin, protein, and especially fiber from it. That fiber really helps me feel fuller, longer.

I still haven't given up coffee, though. **** will have to freeze over before that happens.
A.
FerretNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:58 AM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

I have to agree with Ferret, that menu is NOT condusive to weight loss or healthy eating for that matter... Here's what I ate yesterday just for comparison:

M1 - 6 eggwhite omellette, 1/2 c lg flake oatmeal with 1/2 c. soy milk...
M2 - 3.5 oz tuna made into a burger with 1 eggwhite 1T bread crumbs, with 2 WW toast, 1T ranch dressing, sliced up tomato...
M3 - apple with 2 sl fresh bread and 2T Becel margarine (OK, the bread isn't the best choise but I'm only human )
M4 - 2 chicken drumsticks no skin, 3 cups or romain lettuce with 1T Ceasar salad dressing....
Total: 1650 calories.....

UnCafe, by any chance are you tired all the time with all that sugar? If you are that's the sugar is the reason I would think...
Old 08-24-2004, 08:29 AM   #15  

I have tried eating healthy before and every single time I wound up giving up and eating worse than I would have if I just ate whatever I wanted. I know I'm not eating the healthiest foods right now, but I am losing weight. For the first time in my life I have stayed with a program for more than two weeks.