Old 08-20-2004, 10:59 AM   #1  

Default Guacamole

I have a long standing love of Mexican food, and I am wondering about guacamole. I looked up avacados in the SBD book and it didn't say anything. In the GCGF book, it says to avoid guacamole at a Mexican restaurants. But in my Canyon Ranch Cookbook, there is what looks to be a great recipe: spinach, silken tofu, spices, and only 6 tablespoons of avacado. Is this ok? Gosh, this SBD is complicated but worth it.

(I wish there was a smiley with a Mexican hat.)
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:03 AM   #2  

Here are a couple of South Beach recipes for guacamole. Looks like a serving of Avocado is 1/3 whole while a serving of Guacamole is 1/2 cup. The important part is that you don't eat too much. These recipes came from http://www.mizfrogspad.com/South_Bea.../Guacamole.htm

Perfect Guacamole (all phases)

1 clove of garlic, peeled
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large ripe avocados
1 small ripe roma tomato
Juice from 1/2 fresh lime

With a fork, mash clove of garlic with the salt to make paste. Mash two ripe avocados until smooth. Add the garlic mixture. Grate one small ripe tomato into the avocado. Discard tomato skin. Add juice of 1/2 lime.

Fresh Guacamole (all phases)

2 ripe avocados (Hass)
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 small sweet onion chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley or cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced

Peel avocados and remove pits, reserving one pit. Mash avocado meat in bowl. Add lime juice and mix. Add remaining ingredients, mix well, add avocado pit then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before using. Adding the avocado pit helps to prevent the Guacamole from turning brown.

Last edited by Barb0522; 08-20-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:11 PM   #3  

Thank you so much! Now I am truly pysched about my dinner. Yipee!
kvixen is offline   Reply With Quote