South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 06:16 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question SBD Eating at Subway?

I know many of you indulge in a meal at Subway now and then...what do you usually get? I was just checking out the ingredients in the Atkins wrap and the wheat bread, and it looks like the wheat bread would be a better choice...though a salad would be best, I think. What do you think?

http://subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNut...gredients.aspx
Old 08-04-2004, 06:56 PM   #2  

I am on phase two now so I get the honey oat usually with roast beef, sometimes with ham or turkey. Often I get the wrap. I haven't tried the salads. I get diet coke with it.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #3  
Hittin' the Beach

S/C/G: 225/212/130

Height: 5'0"

Well I dunno but it seems to me that the wrap would be a better choice because it doesn't have enriched flour, which even the whole wheat does. Aren't we supposed to steer clear of that? I have gotten one, I just stay away from the fattening Atkins ingredients. However, they make any regular 6 inch sub on a wrap as well so I get one of the 7 under 6. The lowfat ones. No cheese, loads of veggies and mustard,yum! I am not good at figuring out which of the ingredients are bad for you though, so I am not too sure.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Ozziesgirl, I agree about the enriched flour...but the first three ingredients (which are the greatest amount in the product) in the wrap are water, wheat gluten, and corn starch. We aren't supposed to have corn starch either. Perhaps you are right, though...corn starch (an SBD no-no) is third on the wrap, where enriched wheat flour (a no-no) is first on the bread.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This won't be popular but IMHO the only SBD acceptable roll is the sourdough one. the others all have enriched flour, honey or cornstarch. Enriched flour is NOT whole grain flour.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:30 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I didn't know subway had a sourdough roll but then again I haven't been there in a while. If you did happen to go to subway and get a 6 inch sub with a sourdough roll, wouldn't it be too much bread? Since I'm at the end of week 1 of Phase 1, I haven't really put much thought into phase 2 but I was thinking of trying to add berries first, but if I did a bread day instead and happened to go over to subway, I am wondering if it would be ok to eat all that bread?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

Well, I consider a slice of bread a serving and that is a 1 ounce slice. I imagine a sub roll would be about 3-4 ounces.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I've only eaten at subway 2 times in the last 8 months and both times I got the 6" whole wheat with seafood salad and lots of veggies and a diet soda.

I think it might come down to how often you eat there more then what you eat. I mean, as long as you don't do it every day, only once in awhile maybe it's ok what ever you choose-in moderation, not the 12" bacon, cheese and salami, with extra bacon - as long as the rest of the time you are eating OP.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:55 PM   #9  
I can do this!

I must say that I did have the wheat roll...I was thinking that whole wheat flour as the third ingredient was better than cornstarch as the third on the wrap...but I suppose having the enriched flour as the first ingredient was worse. I gained a pound the next day.

I think I'll be staying away from bread at Subway, unfortunately. They have a couple salads that look good...the baby spinach one and a Mediterranean one, too.

As to size...I must admit that it really confuses me. I have rolls made from Ezekiel Bread, and they are one serving. One pita is one serving. One slice of bread is one serving. 1/2 cup of pasta is one serving (are you kidding??? ). This makes my head swim! For now, sticking to whatever it says on the package seems to be working. But if I stop losing weight, I may have to take a closer look at the calories in each of the servings and try to regulate them somehow.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:17 PM   #10  
Working for the Cruise!

I eat out daily. Not because I want to really, but at this point in time we have no "friggie" in the new location.

Subway is easy, their Med. Chicken Salad is excellent, and as always, customize! That's one of the reasons Subway is great on this diet, I can tell them exactly what needs to go on it.

If you're going with something other than salad, I'd say wrap. I always do extra meat and never eat much of the actual wrap anyway.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 2"

I guess I've messed up on my subway then. Because I was eating the whole wheat and thought I was being good. I've had the salads, but the subway sandwiches are the best in the whole world.

Patricia
Old 08-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #12  
Working for the Cruise!

The only real cruddy thing I found with the bread is the High Fructose Corn Syrup...that's the kicker for me.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #13  
Come on Spring!

There is no Whole Wheat Bread on their list. Wheat bread is NOT the same thing. I'd stick with sourdough and limit the quantity to be safe.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #14  

Height: 5' 2"

Sourdough it is next time I go there. I don't know why I thought I was eating Whole Wheat. I thought I was eating healthy. Did the bread have corn syrup in it too? I really had no idea!

Thanks everyone! Glad I saw this post and posted in it! Mercy!
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 PM   #15  
Working for the Cruise!

Most chain store wheat breads contain high fructose corn syrup, the really BAD stuff. I found this when I did Gabe Mirkin 2 years ago. Can't seem to find the link now.....
Closed Thread