South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 AM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Default Alternatives to Eggs for Breakfast? (answers and suggestions)

Personally, I hate eggs! I don't eat them at all, unless they are part of something else, like a cake. Can't eat them in Potato Salad, in soup...yuck!

So eating something other than eggs for breakfast was something I learned to do early on in SBD. However, others have recently been posting because, although they like eggs, they are getting sick of them and looking for something else to eat. Sounds like this is a worldwide phenomenon--check out today's Daily Dish (8-2-04):

Quote:
Non-Traditional Breakfast Alternatives
If you don't like eating eggs in the morning, why not try some non-traditional breakfast foods? The key element to a successful breakfast is protein, say South Beach Diet™ nutritionists, who recommend anything from smoked fish salad to the ricotta crème dessert in the morning. Here are more egg-less breakfast alternatives for Phase 1:
  • Cottage cheese with 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers and tomatoes
  • Turkey slices and 1/2 cup red and green pepper slices
  • Low fat cheese slices on 1/2 cup chopped spinach, microwaved with trans-free butter-flavored spray
What are your favorite breakfasts without eggs? Please post them here to share with others! :
Old 08-02-2004, 09:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

phase 1: black beans with salsa and cheese; leftovers from dinner the night before; yogurt or cottage cheese with vanilla or other flavoring,

phase 2: steal cut oats and oat groats, uncle sam cereal, occasionally kashi good friends cereal (too much sugar for an everyday breakfast); yogurt with fruit

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-02-2004 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167.2/167.2/140.0

Height: 5'8"

1/2 C lowfat cottage cheese with 1 container of s/f Jell-O mixed in....YUM!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:56 PM   #4  

6oz ff organic Stoneyfield Farm yogurt, I love the plain stuff

String cheese and 2 slices turkey

Lots of times I will eat a hard boiled egg white with string cheese in my car on the way to work, so something very small. THEN I have a better midmorning snack. I was never a big bfast eater and this balance helps me fuel my metabolism but not spend time eating bfast before work.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #5  
Peanut's Mom

I'm a fan of ff or lf cottage cheese w/ a little sf grape jam. Eggo has a low carb waffle and a whole wheat waffle, w/ sf syrup they're not bad for phase 2. I can't seem to bring myself to eat veggies for breakfast, it seems unnatural.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #6  
Taking back control

I agree--I really crave sweet things at breakfast. And I too was wondering how to break free of the egg conundrum! I'm going to try the cottage cheese ideas--maybe with a little vanilla mixed in.

Have a great day! 10 min. to quittin' time for me! YAY!

Bethany
Old 08-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Leftover chili! It's even good cold!
Old 08-03-2004, 09:36 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 7"

I like a tofu shake - 1/2 cup soft tofu, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries or other low-GI fruit, 1/2 cup milk

If I use fresh fruit, I add a handful of ice cubes

In the blender, then a grown-up sippy cup.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:07 AM   #9  
Peanut's Mom

That shake sounds yummy...can you make it the night before? I wake up HOURS before the little one and DH, I'd hate to run the blender and wake them prematurely. They can be beastly if they don't get their beauty sleep!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #10  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

OK I don't care for eggs either but I like the protein and how filling it is. So I just add like 1/4 a cup of the egg substitute and then LOAD up on veggies.

I also do black beans, Perdue Short Cuts chicken, salsa and cheese (low-fat of course!) for breakfast...
Old 08-03-2004, 03:48 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 7"

Laurie
It is yummy, and you can do it the night before - the tofu is thick enough that it doesn't separate the way a milkshake does. I've kept it in the refrigerator for 24 hrs, and it was great.
Don't forget that this is a Phase II breakfast (even with Splenda). - I'm wondering, now that milk is legal on Phase I, if one could add SF syrup and leave out the fruit, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sue
Old 08-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #12  
resident lactivist

OK, here's something I picked up from Body for Life: mix equal parts lowfat cottage cheese & sugar free, lowfat yoghurt. (Blue Bunny's Light 85 is the best yoghurt I have found that fits those parameters.) You can top with a tablespoon of slivered almonds or other nuts. That particular breakfast I have found to be very filling. In phase 2, add a slice of whole grain toast.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #13  
I can do this!

This thread along with my suggestions for Phases 1 & 2 is posted here in the FAQ: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...660#post839660

Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #14  
beachbum

My Favorite NON EGGBreakfast is:

Cottage Cheese on a Tomato Blossom or on a Cucumber Boat.

Use seasoned liquid egg white substitute as a wrap for sausages

Old English Recipe [ Toad in a Hole]South Beach "Surprise" Mashed Cauiflower with sausages stuffed inside. Yummy.

Hope that helped Hugs BB
Old 05-06-2005, 04:33 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Thanks for the great suggestions, BB!
Closed Thread