Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 07:29 AM   #1  

Does anyone have a recipe for Chinese "potstickers" also called dumplings? Thanks.

------------------
BEING FAT IS HARDER THAN ANY DIET!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:03 AM   #2  

I don't have a recipe, but Trader Joe's makes great potstickers. The veggie ones are 7 or 8 for 3 points! I saute them for a minute in a teaspoon of sesame oil (1 point and soo worth it) and then turn down the heat, add water, cover and steam for about 5 minutes.
Old 02-28-2001, 09:11 AM   #3  

They sound great, but we don't have a Trader Joes in Michigan. Do we??????

------------------
Old 02-28-2001, 07:24 PM   #4  

I made some once... think I found the recipe on www.health discovery .net (no spaces)

------------------
Jennifer
Old 02-28-2001, 08:32 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

Look at www.traderjoes.com and see if you have a TJs near you. Also Costco and Sam's Club carry some that aren't bad (2 for 1 point I think). I may have a recipe I'll look and if I do I'll post it.
Old 03-01-2001, 12:08 AM   #6  

When Fergie was on FoodTv this is one of the recipes that was made out of her book.

DUMPLINGS WITH GINGER DIPPING SAUCE
Recipe courtesy Dining with the Duchess
For Dumplings:
1/2 pound lean ground pork
1 scallion, finely minced
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon grated peeled ginger root
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (12-ounce) package (about 48) wonton skins

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a small bowl, mix the dipping sauce ingredients, stirring until the sugar dissolves; set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the pork, scallions, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, sherry, gingerroot and garlic.

Place the wonton skins on a work surface and cover them with a damp towel. Remove the wonton skins 1 at a time and place about 1 teaspoon filling in the center; do no overstuff or the wontons won’t seal securely. Moisten the edges of the wontons with water. Bring 2 opposite corners to the center, pinching the points to seal, then bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching the points to seal. Repeat with the remaining wonton skins and filling.

Add the wontons in batches (if you add too many at once they may stick together) to the boiling water. Stir gently with a wooden spoon and bring back to a boil; boil 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the wontons to a platter. Serve with a dipping sauce.

For Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 scallion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger root
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Difficulty: Expert

Old 03-01-2001, 02:45 AM   #7  

Thanks for your help, everyone. The recipe looks doable and I will check out the other site too. I found out that we do not have a Trader Joe's in Mi. but there is one in Indy and we will be going there around Easter to visit. I will bring by cooler and go shopping.

Thanks Again!!!

------------------
Old 03-01-2001, 11:21 PM   #8  

Could someone pleeese calculate the points for that recipe and post them??? I can't find them premade in any store around here and would like to make them myself. Thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2001, 01:51 AM   #9  

Hi,
I got this recipe from Ken Homs Chinese Cookery
POTSTICKER DUMPLINGS
150g plain flour
4 fl oz (110ml)very hot water
2 tbsp oil, preferably groundnut
5 fl oz (150ml)water

Stuffing
225g minced pork
110 g Chinese leaves or spinach, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger finely chopped
1 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp spring onions (scallions?) finely chopped
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp chicken stock or water

First make the dough. Put the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir the hot water into it gradually, mixing all the while until most of the water is incorporated. Add more water if it seems dry. Remover the mixture from the bowl and knead it with your hands until smooth. This should take about 8 min. Put hte dough back in the bowl, cover with a clean damp cloth asnd let it rest for 20 min.
Combine the stuffing ingredients in another bowl.
After the dough has rested, remove from the bowl and knead a further 5 min, dusting with a little flour if it is sticky. Once smooth, form into a roll about 9" long and 1" diameter. Cut into about 18 equal portions.
Roll each portion into a small round flat "pancake" about 2½" diameter. Arrange the "pancakes" on a lightly floured tray and cover with a damp tea towel until ready to use.
Put about 1 tsp filling in centre of each pancake and fold in half. Moisten edges with water and pinch together with your fingers. Pleat around the edge to seal. (The dumpling should look like a small "Cornish pasty") Transfer the finished dumpling to a floured tray and keep covered until all are made.
Heat a frying pan (preferably non stick) over high heat until hot. Add 1 tbsp oil and place dumplings flat side down into pan. Turn down the heat and cook for about 2 min till browned. You may need to do them in batches. Add the 150ml water to the pan and cover tightly and cook for 12 min or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Uncover the pan and continue to cook for 2 min. Remove dumplings and serve.
Serve weith dips such as Chiili oil, Chinese white rice vinegar and light soy sauce.

Sorry I dont know what they work out points wise.
Hope this helps
Carol
Old 03-02-2001, 02:38 AM   #10  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Any vegetarian varieties?

Myra
Old 03-02-2001, 05:05 AM   #11  

You can convert either of the recipes by using defrosted, crumbled vegetarian patties, like Morningstar Farms, Boca Burgers, etc. I've made ones using hamburger flavored patties and had people ask me why I was eating them since they had meat in them. Suprise on them!
Closed Thread