Old 07-18-2004, 12:25 AM   #1  
I graduated!

Thumbs up Mexican Lasagna a'la Trader Joe's

This is the Mexican Lasagna from the new SBD cookbook, this is the first time I've made it but I did some variations to it and it was SUPER YUMMY! So I thought I'd share... you have to have a Trader Joe's Store to be able to make it the way I did...

If you're trying not to have starchy carbs at dinner time I don't see any reason you couldn't leave out the tortillas. I wound up straining off about a cup of water that I'm sure came from the salsa, but it was still delicious and well worth the effort! If you served it over lettuce (I recommend romaine becuase heat makes most others wilt) it would be a fabulous one dish meal. shutting up now... here's the recipe...

SBD Mexican Lasagna A LA Trader Joe's

1 lb extra lean ground beef (I'm sure ground whatever would work)
1/2 large onion chopped (I think I used more, I like cooked onions)
1 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
1 cup FF sour cream (I couldn't find FF so I used 1%)
1/2 jar of fire roasted peppers (red and yellow)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 containers of Fire Roasted Green Salsa
4 whole wheat tortillas (6inch diameter) halved
1 1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheese of your choice (I used a mix of cheddar, montery jack and mozzerella)

Preheat oven to 350 F

Coat a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray

coat a large nonstick skillet w/ cooking spray, and place over medium heat. Add ground beef or turkey and chilli powder and cook until just browned (no longer any pink)

remove the ground beef to a med bowl. Wipe oil from skillet with a paper towel. Put back over med. heat. Coat again with cooking spray, Add onion and garlic. Cook until the onions are transluscent and brown. Add to the meat in the bowl.

In another medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, sour cream, peppers, cilantro and cumin.

Spread about 1 cup (1/2 of a container) of the green salsa across the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange half of the tortillas evenly over the salsa. Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over the tortillas. Top with half of the ground beef or turkey mixture. Top with 1 cup of the remaining salsa and 1/2 cup of the cheese. Repeat the layering sequence with the remaining tortillas, cottage cheese mixture and ground beef. Sprinkle with the remaining salsa and shredded cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Loosely cover with foil if the cheese browns too quickly.

Makes 8 servings (but we had seconds *blush*)
ADDflower is offline   Reply With Quote