Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:09 PM   #1  

Default Fast Foods - What do you look for?

When you look at the nutrition info for fast food restaurants, what do you look for in order for the food to be SBD acceptable? Do you just look at the sugar value or is there more to it than that?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 PM   #2  

I look for the presence of saturated and trans-fats. I look at the sugar value too. But some of the veterans may have a better answer. I do skip the food if it has any of the forbidden foods.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #3  

Default I should know this, but ...

How do you know what the trans fats are?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:46 PM   #4  

If they list ingredients, I look for the presence of hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated. Some of the websites will actually list transfats. I try not to eat fast food very often. Most of it is not very healthy. I am more likely to go to a semi-fast place like Chipotle, Applebees or some of the local restaurants. Many of them I can call ahead and order and just pick it up to save on time.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:49 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Fast foods are best avoided on Phase I and only used occasionally in Phase II.
Do you have the book?
Old 07-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Ruth is right. You should try to stay away from fast food. On occasions where it cannot be avoided, your very best bet is a salad with grilled chicken breast. Use your "Foods to Enjoy" and "Foods to Avoid" lists to help you select what should or should not be on the salad.

You need to look at fat, saturated fat, if they list it, the ingredients, the calories, the sugar. You are looking for something low in all of those areas, which is tough with fast food.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #7  

I go to Taco Bell and order the taco salad with only beans - no meat - and don't eat the shell. It is a large salad and the beans make it more filling. I don't miss the shell- it is too greasy for me.
Closed Thread