Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 09:02 PM   #1  

My husband and I usually give up alcohol for lent so I usually drop a few pounds just from that-am also considering giving up sweets. By the way, I have some Catholic friends who say that whatever you give up for lent you can still have from Sat. night until the same time on Sunday each week. I'd never heard of that. Does anyone do it that way? Seems to me it's not much of a sacrifice if you can have whatever it is you gave up once a week. Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2001, 09:11 PM   #2  
Is is spring yet??

CHOCOLATE!

I gave it up last year and it was HARD! But I can do it. I know I can - and heck I might even lose a few lbs in the process!!

Laura - I never heard of that either. Good luck to you and your hubby!

Tara

------------------
[email protected]

Failure is not falling down, failure is staying down!
Old 02-28-2001, 10:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

At Mass on Sunday the priest reminded us that
Lenten fasting/abstinence does not have to be observed on Sundays. The reason: Every Sunday is a celebration of Christ's rising. I usually don't use Sunday as a "free day" and most likely won't this year either.

I'm giving up donuts and snacking on the train ride home.

Carla

[This message has been edited by cece (edited 02-28-2001).]
Old 02-28-2001, 11:08 PM   #4  
Number 1 Hockey Fan

I know this is a very ignorant question, but I have heard of lent and I know people have to sacrifice something, but when does it start and when does it end. I can never remember. I am actually Catholic, just not a practicing one. (I'm bad,I know )

Thanks,

Garbanzo
Old 02-28-2001, 11:36 PM   #5  

Starts today - ends with Easter. I think it is 40 days - and of course we know that Easter is different each year - something to do with the vernal equinox?
Old 02-28-2001, 11:41 PM   #6  

Lent ends with Easter Sunday and begins with Ash Wednesday (which is today). The total is 40 days, not including Sundays (which is why some people consider Sunday a day they don't have to stick with whatever they're giving up) It starts at a different time every year (last year Easter was really late in April) and I have forgotten what determines which Wednesday it starts on, I just always look ahead in my calendar to see when Ash Wednesday is.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2001, 02:54 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I thought long and hard on this one...and I decided I'm giving up tortilla chips. It's a favorite of mine so it's going to be tough but it can be done and like Tara I may even drop a little weight in the process!

Melissa
Old 03-01-2001, 03:51 AM   #8  
Senior Tortoise

Orthodox Lent is a little different -- we start about a week and a half earlier. Our Easters don't always coincide either. This year they do!

We give up all dairy products, meat, poultry, and fish. I should invest in Beano.

--Lauren
Old 03-01-2001, 05:45 AM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

My DH and I are giving up ice cream.
Old 03-01-2001, 06:39 AM   #10  
Dave Matthews Addict

I'm giving up not telling people how I truly feel... the old "I'm fine" syndrome. That's going to be harder for me than anything else.

Kendra
Old 03-01-2001, 07:55 AM   #11  

I'm giving up snack size fatfree pudding. I'm addicted to the stuff and usually have 2 a day. I'm out and not buying anymore until after Easter. This is going to be hard.
Old 03-01-2001, 09:40 AM   #12  

My husband (who is converting and being confirmed at the Easter Vigil this year) and I are both giving up Chocolate - yikees! I am also giving up pop. I used to only drink water but pop is sneaking back into my diet so I figure I could give that up too.

------------------
If you think you can or think you cannot, either way, you are right.
Old 03-05-2001, 12:25 PM   #13  

I gave up soda also. I find that I drink way too much of it at times. I know that even diet soda isn't really good for you, so out it went!

I also gave up swear words...if only that were so easy to get rid of.

Michele
Old 03-05-2001, 07:55 PM   #14  
Domestic Goddess

Default figuring date for Easter

FYI . . . I believe that Easter is the first Sunday after the first . . . either new moon or full moon? (anybody know for certain?) after the vernal equinox. How confusing.

I'm not Catholic but I often give something up anyway just 'cuz it builds character. Not this year, though. I'm enough of a character already. Or so I'm told.
Old 03-06-2001, 12:15 PM   #15  

Getting in here a little bit late, but what else is new?! I wasn't raised Catholic, but married a wonderful man who is and together we've learned to practice a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

In 1988, I gave up Oreo cookies (a big problem, I would usually eat the entire bag within two days ) and haven't had a single Oreo since then!

I gave up chocolate last year + while I don't indulge in the "dark evil goodies" as much anymore I felt that giving up chocolate would be a good thing to do this year, but for a different reason. This year I'm giving up chocolate (including my beloved fat-free hot cocoa) and all the bad vices that go along with it. Specifically, if I was eating chocolate it was usually at a buffet dinner at a friend's house. And before I knew it, I was not counting points, etc.

So, don't look for me at the dessert buffet. I'll be sipping water and looking for the carrots!

Karen Sue...happy to find you all again...
Closed Thread