Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #1  

Talking Good news and Bad news all in ine visit...

Hi all. Just got back from my check-in and got the rest of my staples removed. Doctor was very pleased with the way everything looked except one area. The rest of the good news is 26 pounds gone in 12 days. WOW

Now the bad part. The one area of my incision he didn't like the looks of turned out yucky. He opened it up and there is a large pocket of fluid just beginning to get infected. He drained and debrided (right term?) the area and then packed the incision.

Now my lovely wife and wonderful daughter will be trained how to do this by a home care nurse tonight. Twice a day for 2 weeks and hopefully it will start healing on its own.

Oh well, it could have been a raging infection or something worse.

26 pounds..... wow.....
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:08 PM   #2  

Oh my GOSH 26 pounds, congratulations!!! THat is fantastic.

And on the incision thing, at least the doctor caught it now before it became completely nasty. Although it sounds very unpleasant and I'm sorry you have to deal with it. And also at least you have a wonderful wife and daughter to take care of you.

I'm a little nervous because I don't go in for my 2 week check up until August 12! That's a little scary. I don't think I have any infection, but I did get some nasty little blistery things were the original tape was on me. The nurse saw them when she took off the tape to remove the staples, and said it would be okay, but they are a little wierd and gross.

Anyway, hang in there and CONGRATS on the incredible start!
blue eyed soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 PM   #3  
Hang In There

p-38 Great news on the 26 pounds, and tell you wife to hang in there, I had to do the same thing for ole Alvin after his second surgery, and it's not fun, but it shows you how much we really do love yor!
ageoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #4  

Thanks guys,

The Home Health Care Nurse just left after training the ladies of the house. The portion of the incision he opened is 7.5cm wide and 9.5cm deep. They have to pack it wirh gauze morning and night. Probably 3-4 weeks they figure before it is all taken care of. My son thought the edge looked like a nice cut of steak. :O Oh well, could be worse.
P-38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

as gross as it sounds, be glad the infection was caught early... otherwise, you'd be in the hospital, and who needs that????!!!!!!! and 26 pounds in 12 days - fabulous!!!!!

and blue eyes: darlin... i suspect you're allergic to the tape!!! so am i. there's a spot on my leg where they left some tape for several days, and it blistered horribly. i can't even wear a bandaid after blood draws for more than 10 minutes without something gross happening...

you'll be fine.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:04 AM   #6  

Congrats on the 26 lbs!! That is great! And best of luck with the infection.
mistyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #7  

HA HA HA about your son's comment!!! That struck me as funny even though it's yucky.

And Jiff that makes sense about me being allergic to the tape. It's nasty. I hope there aren't all kinds of wierd things going on under the tape on there now!! EW!
blue eyed soul is offline   Reply With Quote