Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:18 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - July 5, 2004

Good morning everyone!

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend! It rained here on the 4th but we still were able to have our picnic and fireworks. It was nice having the long weekend.

Friday, DH and I did some running around and got to go out for both lunch and dinner! It was a nice day all around. The weekend went by at warp speed and I feel pretty good about my eating. I could've been a lot worse and overall I feel good about what I did. DH and I went for a 4 mile walk on Saturday morning so I did get some activity in. I also did some walking on Sunday. Now I need to work on keeping up with my journal.

Did everyone get to enjoy the extended weekend? Susan, I hope you had a great Canada Day
Old 07-06-2004, 09:20 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Melissa, there was rain here, too on the 4th, but thankfully it came after the fireworks. DH and I did a lot of yard work (needed it) and used the pool a lot. We played mucho golf. We didn't do very well, but had fun. I did not do well eating-wise. We tried out a new restaurant in the area that has big cinnamon buns (one of my weaknesses).

How did everyone else do over the holiday?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #3  
si, si signora

argh.

I lost my message.

Fine here, lovely damp day, sunny on the fourth and fifth.

good trip to boston on the 2 &3. Ate too much, marginally back on the wagon, have upped exercise.

Went with skinny friend (we call her Calista) shopping yesterday. It was a bit depressing, as the place we went stocks only bespoke french designers (Lilith, marithe and francois girbaud and comme des garcons)... and the nice lady said, "you should come earlier in the season, when we have more larges and x-larges!". Yikes. I shouldn't feel too bad as my friend bought a size L sweater....

has anyone bought jeans lately? I tried on a pair and they were awfully cute and awfully expensive! 93 bucks -- or 101 with tax and then 7 bucks to hem. I think I'll wait until I am at a more comfortable weight.

Anyhow, I am hoping clear skies return to all and that everyone is sliding back to work smoothly!

lala
Old 07-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #4  

Hi Ladies,

It was a nice 3 day weekend. Didn't go to any fireworks because they really hurt my eyes. I had Lasik 2 years ago and the brightness really bothers me. Did watch the Boston Pops on TV on the 4th and was wondering if Lala was there?? Did the cookout thing and I'm sure I ate way to much. I worked yesterday which was fine because we had terrible rain and t-storms.

Melissa sounds like you had a lovely weekend with DH. He was celebrating a birthday right?? I really admire your consistency with walking and keeping to the program. You're an inspiration.

Domina we didn't golf this weekend but did watch the womens open on Sunday. I was glad Meg Mallon won, it was her time. Still cannot believe some of these teenage golfers. It's nice that Michelle Wie already qualified to play in the open next year.

Lala yeah I have Calista like friends also... I try not to go clothes shopping with them. Buying clothes made by European designers is too depressing..such a big difference when comparing to US sizes. I hate buying jeans also. You're right it is very hard to find a nice pair for under a hundred bucks and I hate spending that kind of $ on jeans! A catch 22 for sure.

Well, I'm a little reluctant to go home because I don't want to face the cat. She is not feeling very well and I'm afraid we are going to have to make a decision very soon on what to do with her. Kids are upset and so am I.

talk to you soon.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 AM   #5  

Hi everybody. I'm back after a long break. I was off from Thursday to Monday included, then had an out-of-town meeting yesterday. Not sure I remember what I do here...

Had a great Canada Day Melissa. DH and I worked in the yard for much of the day; we're still cleaning up from last fall's hurricane, believe it or not. I stacked wood for three hours! We're doing some modifications to the deck, so had to make some room for the carpenter to work in. On Thursday nite, we joined some friends on the waterfront for the fireworks. Great display this year.

On a sad note, we finally took down our 35-foot Austrian pine tree that was the cornerstone of the front yard. It got hit badly in the hurricane. We did what we could to save it, but it wasn't to be. Our front yard is so bare it hurts to look at it. We're shopping around, trying to find a reasonable replacement.

lala: I gave up trying to find decent jeans a long time ago. I bought my last pair at a thrift store

Domina: I envy your time in the pool. It hasn't been particularly warm here yet this summer, so we haven't ventured into the lake yet. Many of the neighbourhood kids have been in, but we older folks need the temps to rise another 10 degrees or so.

Pam: That's sad news about your cat. It's so hard to lose a pet. Hope things turn out differently than you're predicting.

I'm on the WW wagon - again. One of the guys at the meeting yesterday asked if I was still running. He said it looked like I had gained a bit of weight. A-a-a-r-g-h. That's all I needed - for someone else to say the words out loud. Bless him! I have found incentive!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:48 AM   #6  

I vowed to eat better today as I sit here eating some salted nuts. Oh boy!

I'm glad you all enjoyed your weekend.

lala, I think that salesperson was quite rude. I think we all have a Calista friend; I like that moniker.

Pam, I'm sorry about your cat. One of my coworkers has three cats and had one put down last year and it was a sad occasion. I also watched the LPGA; that was great.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #7  

Re the Calista thing - I have a Calista sister. How awful is that to live with every day? Especially when she is running alongside of you and her feet don't touch the ground cause she's light enough to float. Sometimes I think evil thoughts...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #8  
si, si signora

Hi ladies,

I love my calista friend, except that she is wearing most of my size 2 clothes, yes, the one's that balooned out of when I started dating DP. Yes, I gained 40 lbs. 40 on a size 2 person is scary.

Anyways, its okay, she has lots of family issues that I wouldn't trade for her size 2, that is for sure.

Pam -- I am hoping that you guys are going to be okay, letting go is hard and as the mother of a soon to be 18 yo kitty, I dread the day.

Susan -- Sounds like you had a pretty satisfying few days off. I am sorry about the tree too. I love big trees and its hard cut them down. The fall is a great time to plant a tree, but maybe that is just here.

Domina -- nuts are better than chips ahoy, think, good fats, good for your skin .

Melissa -- how are things going?

Oy, we're going out to lunch today as my young office mate finally took the job at Scripps Institute of Oceanography... Good for him. I love the place we're going and I will make some good choices.

Okay -- one more thing -- do you guys feel less guilty about eating something and going off program if its something really good (cheesecake, a nice martini, a beautiful
piece of steak) over something not a good in terms of food quality -- (cheetos, a box of thin mints, nachos)?

lala
Old 07-07-2004, 01:31 PM   #9  

lala, Size 2?? Outlaw it. I guess nuts are better than chips. Regarding your question, I feel less guilty if I eat something of good quality.

Susan, I don't want to hear about your Calista sister mysteriously falling down while running!!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Domina -- that was a size 2 when a size 2 was a size 2 not a size 2 is a size 6? Am I confusing you?

Anyways, vanity sizing sucks.

lala
Old 07-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #11  

lala, All I know is I'll never see size 2. I have a couple 8's and that just thrilled me.

How was your lunch? Was it good? (were you good?)
Old 07-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #12  

Hi Ladies,

A very busy day at work. I'm really bogged down and I'm trying to get things somewhat in order before I go on vacation on the 19th.
The kitty situation is still the same. She does not appear to be in any pain, just very lethargic and not eating very well. Called the vet and will bring her in on Friday if things are not any better. We've had her almost 10 years and we've been through quite a bit. We got her at the local pet store, a very spontaneous purchase..we were suppose to be just looking. Told the kids she would be an indoor cat. Within a month of bringing her home we were running out of the house to bring my son to baseball practice and we didn't see the cat ran out the door too. I jumped in the car and when I backed up I heard the awful thump. I ran the cat over! Oh my god..we brought her to the vet, I thought we would have to put her to sleep but miraculously all she had was a broken hind leg. The vet put a couple of pins in and after a few weeks she was looking pretty good although she still has and interesting swagger when she walks. While she was at the vet I wanted to have her spayed ..but she was too young. 9 months later she ran out the door again and you guessed it, we had a litter of kittens soon after. That was the only litter, we did bring her back to the vet soon after the kitties were born and fortunately we found good homes for them. Anyway..sorry to bore you with the details of life with Chloe, but I'm really hoping she is OK.

Susan thanks for making me laugh today..loved the calista comment. I haven't gone swimming yet this summer either. Hoping I will be able to when we go to Lake George.

Lala I completely agree with your comment regarding food choices and guilt. I don't feel too badly when I go out to dinner and have a piece of key lime pie. I get very upset when I sit at home and devour a bag of baked lays.

Domina and Melissa hope all is well. Will talk to you soon.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:43 AM   #13  

It's overcast here this morning but every day this week has started that day. It normally clears by noon.

Had a wonderful run last night - about 8.5 km. I feel so much stronger when I run with the group. We intend to go out for 10 km on Sunday.

Also had an OP day for a change. I resisted the urge to weigh myself this morning; it will take a week or two before there's any encouragement from the scale.

Pam: That's a tough cat. She may surprise you once again and pull through this episode too. I certainly hope so.

lala: Definitely more remorse when I eat junk foods with no real nutritional value. Size 2 huh? I was a size 2 once. I think it was the night before my 7th birthday.

Domina: Nah, I would never intentionally hurt little Calista, but she does run the risk of injury when she complains that she feels fat or needs to cut back, etc. etc.

Hi Melissa. How's it going?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

It's been busy here and so my posts have been far & few between.

It's raining here this morning and a cool 66...we could use the rain for the garden so I'm not going to complain. The weekend forecast is looking good and hopefully it'll hold. I didn't get out for a walk yesterday since I had my meeting. I was down .2 and was a little disappointed because I really watched what I was eating of the weekend and even limited my drinking. Anyway, I figure a loss is a loss no matter what.

Pam: Yes, we celebrated DH's birthday. His is one week after mine so we usually try to do something. We had a great time. Sorry to hear about your cat--it's not easy when a pet is sick and you know it's not going to get better.

Susan: Better to stay away from the scale and only weigh once a week. I know it sets the tone for the day if it's not what I want and that's usually not good. Sounds like the running is going well for you! I'm working on getting in more walking.

Lala I feel less guilty eating something that is exceptionally good and out of the norm over eating chips, etc. Don't we all have a "Calista" in our lives??

Domina: Salted nuts are not all that bad for you--the trick is to not eat all of them in one sitting. I'm not a fan of cashews but almonds are another story...

Anyone have any plans for the weekend?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:30 PM   #15  

Melissa, woo-hoo, good for you on the loss. I wish I could say the same. I'm not gaining any more, but I'm not losing either. I don't know what it is. I'm eating more sweets for one thing. You have some cool weather. It's 92 here again; we finally had some rain yesterday which we desperately needed.

Susan, I agree with Melissa. It's better to weight once a week. Daily fluctuations can drive you up the wall. Keep running; that will help.

Let's see--this weekend (starts Friday) I'm getting a massage. DH and I will golf some and we have a pool party on Sunday. All in all, a fun time.
Closed Thread