Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #1  
Canadian, eh?

Default Weigh in at Home 7/5 - 7/11

Hi All...

Back from beyond...we had a great four days away and managed to stay OP until our drive home yesterday when I was accosted by a Pecan Praline Parfait at DQ. I'll read the posts from the end of last week and be back after work tonight. Have a good day!

Karen
Old 07-05-2004, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Karen - Welcome home! Ah, DQ, home of all that is so good and yet so bad at the same time. I've been afraid to see if our new DQ is open yet. It's info I really don't need to have.

I had an ok weekend. We went to the music park on Friday and ended up picking up Chinese take out on the way there. I was fine through all of that. Saturday I kind of lost it. Ended up using all of my flex points at the beer tent and then went on a snacking spree at home. Yesterday we went to a BBQ and I did fine there. I didn't get enough water in over the weekend though, and I'm really feeling that today. Time to guzzle.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 07-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #3  

Karen - welcome back! I am grateful that I don't know where the nearest DQ is and have never had a blizzard or any other no doubt yummy concoction there.

Carla - sorry to hear about the bad day Saturday (the evil beer tent) but congratulations on doing well with Chinese (always easy to go off there) and at the bar-b-que.

I'm happy to report a 6 pound loss! I should preface that by saying that when I weighed myself the morning I started SBD, my weight was at 157 (my scale) - higher than it had been for a while and no doubt partly caused by the overly seasoned Italian food we had the night before. Still, I'm overjoyed with the loss and am still going strong on Phase I although there were a couple of evenings where I had too many peanuts/pistachios, which are "legal" snacks but only when carefully counted out. I'm good to go for one more week on Phase I and then will switch to Phase II and try to work counting points into that. Oh, and I should say that TOM will be here in a few days. I have had some carb thoughts but I haven't cheated and I figure I can stick it out for another week. I'm going to try to do some food prep today - I'm going to try the taco bake so I can have it for lunch tomorrow after school (8-11 am class) and have it Wed night before my late class. I'm also going to make some egg/veggie/sausage cups to freeze - they are great for a quick breakfast. Karen - what other kind of food prep to do you on the weekend?

I have been consistent with exercise although with my back and because I've been a little tired I haven't done anything really strenuous - that's OK though - I'm sure I'll get back into that soon. The good news is that I am only a couple of workouts shy of where I should be for my yearly goal. SO, now the drill sargeant hat is not on but is nearby. How are you ladies doing on your workouts? (no yelling yet)

Have a great one,
Judy
163.5 (WW scale)/151 (my scale)/135
121/240 workouts
Old 07-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #4  

Judy - Congrats on a super-terrific loss!!!! It would be really hard for me to snack on either peanuts or pistachios without going way overboard. I know you can stick it out for another week.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - what is it about beer tents that make the best intentions melt away?? Highly unfair. Luckily the flex bank reinvents itself on Wednesday! Hope you can hang in till then. Our trip to DQ was preceded by a flat tire at the side of the road, and a spare tire that refused to be lowered from under the SUV. We were hot and tired and some p.o.'d, and gave in to temptation.

Judy - that's some kind of awesome loss!!! Congratulations - you must be on top of the world this week. Glad SBD is working out for you so far. As for prep, we've been planning meals for the week on Saturday mornings and then shopping for groceries and produce. I try to do things like cut up peppers & veggies into strips & dice some and stick them in the fridge so there's less cutting later. We sometimes go on a cooking spree and cook for two or three days at a time, as there's nothing worse than coming home hot and tired from work and having to start a meal from scratch. I try to double things up too...if I slice up cabbage to sautee, I slice up the other half ready for an Asian cabbage salad later in the week. We've found staying one step ahead of the next meal makes it easy to stay OP, although it takes some fortitude to do it.

That being said, I just got home from grocery shopping, having been away all weekend. I'm going to pick up produce on the way home from work tomorrow. The farmers' market is so much better and so much less expensive than shopping for veggies at the grocery store. Better head to bed; I want to be up early to get the dogs to the beach.

Hmmm...I just got up and realized that I didn't post this last night. Pouring rain this morning, no trip to the beach today!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:58 PM   #6  

Hi all.

Karen - I'm guessing it's the beer that's the culprit. :-) At least in my case. Actually I was doing ok. But Ana's friend invited herself along and her sister also came with and they were a handful to watch, so John took it upon himself to buy me a third beer, for self-medication, as he put it. It went downhill after that. Your food prep plan is great. Should I ever re-enter the workforce, I'm going to have to keep it in mind so we can keep having homemade dinners. It's great that you can shop at the farmers market. We have one in town but it's really small and the prices are generally higher than in the grocery store. But it's all really good, so it's worth it. We do have a grocery store in the next town that is an independent store with a lot of Mexican as well as Polish imports. They have the best produce, you can find just about any fruit or veggie, no matter how obscure, and their prices are great. Every time I go there, I kick myself for not going more often. So I've resolved to do all my produce shopping there. Sorry to hear that your walk by the beach got rained out today.

I had a good day yesterday. I ate at target and had no desire to go beyond, which is a good thing since I'm into negative flex points. I got in all my fruits and veggies and milks, too. I finally made my chicken tacos and served them with black beans and spanish rice. Maybe it wasn't quite as good as the chicken taco dinner from the Mexican restaurant, but it was good nonetheless. And it certainly was a lot more point-friendly. Best of all, I have leftovers to make a taco salad for lunch today. Yum.
Dinner tonight will be Lloyds BBQ and sweet corn. Low in points, quick to make, and very good. What more can you ask for?

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 07-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #7  

Karen - oooh, the flat tire and deal with the spare would have definitely gotten me in a hot, tired, po'd frame of mind ready for a yummy treat! Thanks for your take on the food prep - I have been trying to plan meals before our weekly grocery shop and we have made a couple of meals and sides this week that are doing double duty. I made the taco bake (Phase I) yesterday to have for myself before I go to class on Wed (Tony makes pasta for himself) and when he tasted it, we decided to have it last night. Wow, was it delicious. We're going to make it again this weekend. Sorry about the rain - have fun tomorrow at the beach with the dogs.

Carla - yup, I figured the beer was the culprit on Saturday! I wish I had a farmers market nearby (at least I don't know of one). I remember way back when, when I lived in Jersey City (during my divorced years) and used to commute using the terminal in the World Trade Center. There was a farmer's market outside the WTC and I used to pick up fresh produce cheap, cheap, cheap! Way to go on a totally program day yesterday! Are ya' guzzling that water? I'm sure the chicken tacos were yummy. You should take a look at the Taco Bake recipe I made. I haven't calculated the points, but I think it would be pretty low and it was really, really filling. Here's the link:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38592

I had a good day yesterday. No peanuts or pistachios (we didn't buy any more pistachios) and the taco bake was yummy. I did a nice power yoga workout yesterday that made me break a sweat. I haven't decided what I'm giong to do today. Tony and I are planning to go to the pool later so I could walk in the pool but for the first time in a week, I feel like doing something more strenuous. I'll have to see what I decide to do after I make myself write this paper. It's not due for a while, but it's the last individual project left to do for the Social Studies class. Everything else is group work. Speaking of which, I must be jinxed! The Social Studies professor gives us time to work on group stuff in class and of course, wouldn't you know, two of my group members were out today! The other woman and I discussed some stuff and we emailed the ideas to the other group members but geez, other groups got real work done!

OK, Drill Sargeant Judy reporting for duty. Karen, your plan for tomorrow is to go to the beach and walk with the dogs, right? Carla - what is your plan for getting some activity into this week? I want us to pump up the activity and drop some more pounds! I will do one of those 1/2 tough strength workouts on that newish video I bought, OK?

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 07-06-2004, 05:23 PM   #8  

Judy - Glad to hear you're feeling up to a strenuous workout. Thanks so much for posting the link to the Taco Bake recipe. It sounds delicious and I just printed it out. I'll have to run it through the on-line recipe builder to get a points calculation, but with fat-refried beans, 96% lean ground beef and reduced-fat cheese, I can't imagine it being more than 6-7 points. You do draw the worst luck when it comes to groups in your classes, don't you. Here's hoping this one goes more smoothly than the last. As for exercise, I was hoping to take a walk to the village hall to drop off my utility bill if the storm that looks like it's kicking up holds off. If not, I'll go tomorrow. John is supposed to be home early - well, early for him - so if he has the energy to watch Ana (he was at work from 6:30 am yesterday until sometime in the wee hours this morning, and the 5th was supposed to be a holiday for him) I'll do it myself so that it can be a brisk walk. If not, I'll take Ana with me and it will be more like a stroll, but at least I'll be moving.

Have a great evening.

Carla
Old 07-07-2004, 07:01 AM   #9  

More later - I'm just off to observe summer school but I had a quick question for Karen. When you were on Phase I did you weigh yourself often or just once a week? The reason I'm asking is that I have been at the same weight now for at least 4 days and while I'm happy with what I've lost so far, I was hoping to lose more before Monday (which will be two weeks on Phase I) Of course TOM will be here a few days so that could have something to do with it, but I was just curious what your experience was.

Judy
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #10  

Carla - wow, John is working long hours! Did you get a chance to take that walk yet? I was going to try to do a workout today, but I was up at least 4 times during the night and it turns out that summer school (for observation) was until 12:30 so I didn't get home until 1:00. Although I brought a snack with me, I was hungry when I got home so I had lunch. By the time lunch is digested, it will be time to have something before going to class (can't make it to 9:00 otherwise) So I guess today is a rest day!

No real challenges today except to stay awake. I think I am going to take a 1/2 hour nap. No way I'm going to be able to stay awake in class tonight if I don't.

Have a great one!'
Judy
Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 PM   #11  

Hi all.

Karen - Forgot to say that a hassle like the one you had with the flat tire would send me to the nearest DQ too.

Judy - Yeah, he's working incredible hours. He went back to work last night until the wee hours. He's talking about going back tonight, but I don't think he'll be able to drag himself out the door, thank goodness. As for the walk, Ana and I took it today. It was slow going, but at least I was up and moving for 1/2 hour and earned a couple of activity points in the process. I hope your nap did the trick today and you were able to make it through class tonight.

I'm posting a .04 loss today. It's not much, but at least it's a loss and I'm back in the 240s, albeit barely. I'm going to work towards a nice loss for next week. It's not going to be easy this weekend though. Friday we're going to the music park, Saturday is John's company picnic, and Sunday we're going to a birthday party for a 1 yo. Tough, but doable. The good thing is that Saturday and Sunday's events are in the afternoon, which, for some reason, I find makes it easier to stick to points for the day. My sister and nephews are supposed to be coming out for a visit (staying with my mom) starting next week, which could mean a lot of iffy eating, but now I'm not sure if she'll make it. She called me late this afternoon from the side of a highway where she just had a very bad accident. Apparently she was on an exit and was slowing down because the cars ahead of her were and the truck behind didn't slow down and plowed right into her. It sent her car flying into the truck ahead of her with such force that that truck hit the car in front of it. They were going to have to pry her car off the truck. She had my 10 yo nephew in the back and it's a miracle that neither of them were killed, or even hurt (although Lisa told me she felt pretty sore). So now she's without car, although the other driver's insurance (if he has any) should pay for a loaner for her and since her car will be totalled out, she may even be able to get a new one by this weekend. The car is less than a year old and this is the second time she was hit in three months. I feel so badly for her; if it weren't for bad luck, she'd have no luck at all. And now off to finish cleaning the pan that I have soaking and try not to eat any of my flex points (high point meals today, including Italian sausage for dinner, but all worth it).

Talk to you tomorrow.

Carla
279.6/249.8/145
Old 07-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #12  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning...

Carla - OMG...thank goodness your sister and nephew are okay. I'm sure they'll be sore though. What a terrible thing to happen. I hope they'll be able to make their visit. Congratulations on your loss, even though it's a small one - we're not picky as long as the numbers are moving downward! Good for you for getting your walk in with Ana yesterday. I got my walk in too - took the hounds to the beach for an hour last evening.

Judy - I weigh everyday, unless I'm NOP, and then I don't go near the scale for fear of what it might say! I went several days without the scale budging for the first week, then lost three, then had no loss until weigh in day on week 2.

I went on a small hormone driven food fest Tuesday evening, but got it back together yesterday for a good day. My weigh in shows a .5 lb loss; small, but like Carla, I'll happily take it! Today has no particular challenges looming, so I'm hoping for a good one today as well.

Have a great Thursday!

Karen
Old 07-08-2004, 12:24 PM   #13  

Carla - I literally gasped when I read about what happened to your sister! Thank goodness she and your nephew are OK. It's terrible that that happened to her and as Karen said, I'm sure they will be sore, but I think they were both very, very lucky to have walked away from it. Congratulations on your loss - any loss is a great one and you are back in the 40's and will not be seeing those 50's anymore! Good job on getting out for a walk with Ana. I was thinking of taking a walk but it is hot and humid so I might save that for tomorrow when it's supposed to be nicer.

Karen - Congratulations on that 1/2 pound gone! I hear ya' on the hormone influenced eating. I had a few too many peanuts last night which I'm sure had to do with PMS. I saw a big drop the first day, a little more for the next 2 days and then nothing for 4 or 5 days until this morning when I saw another 1/2 pound down. I guess my experience isn't out of whack then. I'm starting Phase II on Monday - even though Phase I hasn't been that difficult, I definitely don't want to do another week. Did you start with just one carb serving a day? Any favorite Phase II recipe's so far?

I just finished the last of the Taco Bake for lunch and I think I am going to take a quick nap. I didn't wake up during the night (thankfully) but I got to bed too late considering I had my early class this morning. I'm going for a pedicure later and once the ol' toes are dry, I'll figure out what kiind of workout to do - maybe upper body! I want to finish the next assignment for Math by tomorrow. The good news is that my group met in Social Studies today (everyone was here) and it will be a good group. Lots of participation, enthusiasm and a nice group of people - phew!

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 07-08-2004, 02:07 PM   #14  

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on your loss! You're right, we'll take them, no matter how small, as long as the number is moving in the right direction. Glad to hear you were able to get to the beach with the hounds. I wish I had a beach to walk on, with or without hounds. Sorry to hear about your food fest Tuesday evening, but yay for you for getting right back on track. That's what counts.

Judy - Sounds like our cool weather is heading your way. Yesterday they cancelled Ana's swim lesson, it was so cold. It was pretty darn chilly today too. We've definitely had more spring-like weather than summer. I'm not complaining, though. I hate the heat and the upside is we've hardly had to run our AC, so our electric bill won't be a whopper. Plus, for the most part it's been sunny and that's all that really matters to me. Sounds like your body is just acting all coy about dropping the weight. Good for you for doing so well with Phase I.

I ended up using a few flex points yesterday, but that's ok. I have today planned out, for the most part, and have plenty of wiggle room without having to resort to the flexies. Today's pick at the Farmer's Market: some black raspberries and an imported Gouda that is so good, I nearly wept. Together they made a nice snack. Since it's so nice and cool out, I may try for another walk with Ana this afternoon.

Have a good one.

Carla
Old 07-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #15  
Canadian, eh?

Hi All...

Made it through yesterday without incident!

Carla - Mmmm...raspberrries and cheese. I desparately need to go and stock up on veggies again; we go through them like crazy these days. How is your sister doing?

Judy - I started by adding some berries back in the first day; then alternated between fruit and whole grain tortillas for a few days, now am being free with fruit, and limiting the "bread" type things to one meal a day. I'll give it another couple of weeks before I decide if I need to tweak anything, as my small loss this week reflected my two transgressions.

Nothing big on the horizon for the next few days; we're staying home to do yard work this weekend, so all I need to do is plan and shop and get in some exercise. Mike's aunt is coming from Australia today and staying with us for a month. She's very Italian and likes to cook, apparently. I've never met her, so I'm sure there will be some interesting days ahead.

Better get back to the grindstone.

Have a good weekend...

Karen
Closed Thread