Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 09:04 AM   #1  
Determined Chick!

Good morning group! I had a long talk with my SIL who is also a WW, and we made a pact to stay 100% within our
points range for 1 week (starting today). Once again, I have to prove to myself that I can do this. I've gradually
managed to get further and further away from the program to the point that I am back to eating in the middle of
the night (ice cream out of the container, etc), picking at cookies/candy/etc, and not counting ANY of it :-Z. I'm also
fudging on portion sizes and pretending that the 2 or 3 spoonfuls from the pot AFTER I've already eaten don't count!
The good news is my sneak peeks look like I've lost maybe a pound since I was last at WW 2 weeks ago. I weigh in
tomorrow and will post actual #'s then.

Anyone else interested in this 1week/100% challenge? Stick within your points range for 1 week (only go over on your
points if you've banked for them or earned them with exercise -- no charging points to make up on another day),
drink your water, be active somehow. Maybe we could also make a point to post low point meals/snacks or tips that
helped us get through a day 100%?

I am flying to that wedding in North Carolina on the 26th for 4 days, and a 1 week/100% will be a good jump start at
handling that challenge. I am leaning toward being moderate, but not bringing WW along. Mistake? Am I better off
trying to count pts? We will be eating out almost every meal - ugh.

Holly
Old 04-16-2001, 09:53 AM   #2  

Doxie – Before I went back to meetings, I weighed in on Mondays too – yup, it made it harder but it also made me more “honest” on weekends. You’ve got it right though – we’ll keep plugging away.

Pat – good for you for getting out for a walk – I wish the weather was as good today as it was on Friday.

Carla – I’m glad you had a good meeting with your new boss. I’m glad you’re not worrying about what you’ll be doing after the conversion – when you get there, you deal with it, right? (I can be so philosophical on a Monday morning – teehee). Good luck on the maintain.

Holly – We all go off program every now and then. The important thing is that we keep at it , keep plugging away and it sounds like you are doing just that. Thanks for your support – the stress quotient has gone down quite a bit since the interview. I'd go along on the challenge with you but I'm already in the deficit - however, I will pledge to do all the rest and not go over on points until I have points in the bank and not in the hole! Good idea about the tips for a successful day too. You have to do what is comfortable for you but if it was me, I'd "take WW along" but try to be flexible and realized that I may have to guess what the points are in restaurants, go over a couple of points etc. Will you be able to get our for walks?

I’m thrilled to report that I lost 0.6 pounds – not as much as I thought I would earlier in the week but I dove once too often into the mini chocolate morsels that were left over from some baking. We had a very nice day yesterday – both our grandson and grand niece were there livening things up – nothing like a 3 yr old and 2.5 yr old to keep you running and laughing. I did well as Easter dinner – I didn’t count points but I helped in the kitchen a lot and ate slowly and found that afterwards I ate just enough – I wasn’t “stuffed” as I would have been in the past. When I got home, I calculated the points I had eater – with ½ piece of cake, I went over max by 5. I was pleased with that but then I had two too many snacks and my deficit is now 15. Still not awful – I’ll work it off during the week. I wonder whether or not I would have been better to wait to calculate the points I ate until this morning. Maybe I was thinking, “hmm, only 5 points over, go ahead and have a couple of snacks”. I don’t know – in any case I’m not beating myself up about it. I still did better than I would have in the past. The weather is not great (dreary and a little chilly) but it’s going to be rainy for the next couple of days so I hope to get out for a run/walk at lunch and do a new abs tape after work.

Have a great Motivated Monday,
Judy
163.6/158.4/135
Old 04-16-2001, 02:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone -

Holly - Congrats on the smaller dress size. That, to me, is sometimes more thrilling than a loss at the scale. Good for you for re-dedicating yourself this week. I'm sure you'll do fine with the challenge. I'd participate with you, but I tend to set myself up for failure when I try things like that. You'll inspire me, though, I'm sure. As far as your trip, I'd vote for bring WW along. I'd at least want to be mindful of the points I'm eating. Where in North Carolina are you going? We're going to Nags Head for a week in August.

Judy - Congrats on the loss. It's always nice to see the number at the scale go down. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. I know that you'll get that deficit worked off.

Well my trip to the scale this morning was all bad news - up three pounds. I know that a pound or two is water since my rings are really tight and since I know I had salty foods this weekend and didn't do so hot on the water. The rest of it is just my bad couple of weeks catching up to me. All deserved. So, my vow is to do better this week. I started of this morning with a nice walk to the train station - it felt good to be moving.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
255/255/140
Old 04-16-2001, 11:07 PM   #4  

I had a 1/2 lb. gain today. I did pretty good yesterday until all the kids left for home. Last night I hit the jelly beans hard. Tonight they went in the trash! For some reason the rest of the candy didn't bother me.
I'll join the challenge too. I've got to get back to journaling.
IF YOU BITE IT, WRITE IT
Old 04-16-2001, 11:27 PM   #5  
cookies are for browsers

I know that most newbies start in January, but since I'm an old hand at this, I thought I'd start in April.

Mind if I join you? I weighed in this morning at 207. Only 2 pounds away from my highest weight at 209.
I am so annoyed. I got down to 191 before Christmas and now it's almost all back. Yes, I know why -
I lost track of portion sizes and just kept eating past the point when I was full. Did it because of stress.

I have to pat myself on the back for staying OP today. I counted everything. And got lots of water in, too.

My goal? 170 and better health.

And when I go to aerobics classes I look like a giraffe on muscle relaxants, so I prefer yoga and walking.
But that's going to be running very soon. I love running.

Hope you all have a great week!

jennifa
209/207/170
Old 04-17-2001, 07:46 AM   #6  
Determined Chick!

Good Morning! Tonight I hit the gym and a WW meeting, and boy do I need it :-Z. I really struggled last night. I was suffering from the 7P's -- (one of my Dad's favorite sayings) "proper prior planning prevents piss-poor performance." I had no plan for dinner and so snacked too much while trying to think of something to have. Of course, this left me with very little pts. I also was starting in again on those Bites, Licks and Tastes. I did count a pt for them -- and journaled -- but counting only 1 pt was a stretch ;-) I made it through the day, but I was hungry when I went to bed. I think I had become accustomed -- once again -- to feeling overly full all the time, and moderate eating felt more like starving!

Cece -- I'm sorry about your gain. However, pat yourself on the back for that walk to the train! I am comfident you will turn this gain around with a great, OP week, and lots of movement! Drinking water is so important in keeping that water-weight gain at bay... so drink up!

Doxie - 7 days OP! Woohoo - we can do it!! One day down :-)

Jennifa - Welcome :-)

Judy - Way to go with a loss!

Shoot - I'm running *way* late for work --- I'll post again later! Have a great day group :-) Wouldn't it be awsome for *all* of us to post a loss next week?! Holly
Old 04-17-2001, 09:58 AM   #7  

Carla - sorry to hear about the gain but if your Easter dinner was anything like mine, you know it's water. Way to go on walking to the train station - a good start to a turnaround week.

Doxie - sorry to hear about the gain. Good for you for throwing out those jelly beans. This week is sure to be easier without so many temptations everywhere.

Jennifa - welcome! I think you'll find us a pretty supportive group. How long have you been doing yoga? I started last year but got more consistent about it at the beginning of this year (one of my goals for the year). I'm definitely a beginner and have gone to a few classes but mostly I do Living Arts, Yoga Journal and Yoga Zone tapes. I've had a very stressful year so far at work and it has helped me a lot. I started running last year (did a 5K) but I have somewhat achy knees so I don't run more than a couple of times a week.

Holly - good for you for hitting the gym and getting to a meeting. LOL - I've been guilty of the 1 points for all those BLT's too. I don't think I could do this if I didn't have dinners planned out for the week. One thing that's helped me is to have a bunch of steamed veggies in the frig (that I make up on the weekend) so when I come home, I can dig into some without any hassle. It keeps me from high point snacking.

I had a really good day yesterday. I got out for a run/walk at lunch time and did an abs tape after work. Tony was a little late for dinner so I snacked on some veggies. We ate on the late side and we ate a lot although most of it was veggies. I had a ff chocolate pudding and some fruit in the evening and I just didn't want anything else. I don't know if it was that dinner was late - whatever it was, I was able to bank 3 food points so my deficit is down to 6.

Judy
Old 04-17-2001, 09:45 PM   #8  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Thank you for your warm welcome. Carla, don't worry, you will lose again. Judy, sounds like you had a
kickin day yesterday! Good job!

I had a hard time deciding today, but I stayed OP and I'm glad but a little worried - I calculated my favorite
crackers and they are 4 points for 27 of them. And no, they aren't very big. So I ate them anyway and
counted them because I have the points and I am going to use them!

Once I do the calculations from the labels, I am finding that I was overcounting the points the last time I did
WW. No wonder I quit. Anybody else having the same findings? Sometimes bakeries will be more
thoughtful than we think, and the breads are actually fewer points than we think. It's confusing. The
WW materials say to eat a wide variey, but that adds up a lot of points! I guess I am dreaming that points
are really things you spend on things you really shouldn't be eating in the first place! Maybe it's time for me
to re-calculate these foods!

Hope you all get skinny!

Jennifa
Old 04-17-2001, 11:30 PM   #9  

Holly - Way to go on the smaller size. I think I'd take my WW stuff along on the trip. That way when you find out where you are eating you will be able to check on the points on different options. At least having it along would remind you to pay attention to what you're eating.

Judy - Congratulations on the loss, especially over the holiday. Way to go being more in control over Easter dinner. I know this was the first time in a while that I didn't eat so much junk at MIL's that I felt bad by the time I got home...progress. Way to go banking points.

Carla - Sorry about the gain, but I'm sure at least some of it is water. Way to go on walking to the train station.

Doxie - Sorry about the gain, but great job throwing those jelly beans away.

Jennifa - Welcome to the group. Way to go getting back on track. I know all about that stress eating. I let it get to me over the winter and now have to get back to goal. Hope you enjoyed those crackers...have to have some of your favorites or you'll feel deprived. Unfortunately I usually find out I'm underestimating the number of points.

I had a horrible 4 lb gain this week. I know at least some of it is water (TOM and ham on Sunday), but I've never gained (or loss) that much in a week. I walked 5 days last week and even took a walk on Easter before going to MIL and played badminton there.

Talk to you later.
Pat
(178/145!!!/135)
Old 04-18-2001, 12:18 AM   #10  
Determined Chick!

Hi guys :-) Just back from my meeting and I lost 2.2 ! That is a 2 week total loss, as I didn't weigh-in last week. The exciting news is that my total is now 15.6 gone :-D My 10% is 19 lbs, and I can't wait to make that milestone.

I also found a dress for the wedding and shoes ...drum roll... $35.13 for both! The shoes are awesome, but my husband will hate them. I am taller than him w/out high heels, and these are high. They are a high heel wedges with skinny black criss-cross straps across the top. I feel a little bit like a teeny bopper in them, but they were too cool (and cheap) to pass up. A small problem with the wedge type shoes is they feel like walking on bricks of concrete...the price of beauty... :-)

Pepper -- Sorry about the gain, but it can't be much more than water with all the exercise you did. Does your weight normally fluctuate a lot? In any case, don't let it get you down... you've come too far to get discouraged now!

Jennifa - Way to go making the decision to stay OP! Keep that decision in mind the rest of the week :-)

Judy - You continue to impress me with the amount of exercise you do! Thanks for the tip on the steamed vegis. Having healthy food handy makes a huge difference to making it for the day or giving in to cravings. (I have to admit that I made it to the meeting, but not the gym :-(

Group: Thanks for the advice on taking WW along or leaving it behind for the trip. I am definately going to bring it along. 10% is just around the corner, and I don't need to give myself permission to undo hard work already done. I plan on taking a stash of low pt. snacks, and I'll just make the best choices I can at restaurants. I also plan on making use of the pool and walking around the city. I read a quote on these boards once that I love: "much of life's unhappiness is caused by giving up what we want most for what we want at the moment." The trip will be over in a blink, and I don't want to carry around any permanent souveniers (sp?) on my butt! What I want most is to have body confidence back (Ok, and to be a swim suit model ;-) ) Holly
Old 04-18-2001, 09:26 AM   #11  

Jennifa - good for you for calculating your favorite crackers and counting the points. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but I think the fact that you can anything as long as you make it work within your points range is the reason why we'll all be successful in the long term. Total deprivation leads to eventual binge eating in my bood. As for eating a wide variety being a lot of points, I think it depends on what your wide variety is as far as the food itself and the portions of those foods. As for things you "shouldn't be eating", maybe it means that you can have high fat, high sugar things in moderation. There really aren't any foods that you "shouldn't be eating". I don't know if I've been clear; if I haven't I'd be happy to try to answer any specific questions.

Pat - I'm sorry to hear about the gain but that is undoubtably water. The woman who weighs me at WW says it's pretty common to see a 2 pound gain during TOM and ham? You may as well have dipped yourself in salt. Please, please, please don't let that discourage you (although I know how discouraging those numbers can be). Stay OP, keep walking, drink that water and it will be GONE by next week. You bet you made progress on Easter. I felt that way too when almost everyone else was saying how stuffed they were and I just felt pleasantly full.

Holly - Way to go on getting rid of those 2 pounds. You sure are close to your 10%! Wow, talk about a bargain on the dress and shoes. I am so glad you decided to take WW along on the trip. You are soooo right about not undoing all the hard work. I think your plan is great - I find having low point snacks on a trip so helpful.

I had a pretty good day yesterday. I did a 45 min yoga tape when I got home. Tony and I had the WW veggie lasagna (delicious) and while I snacked a bit (ate to my max) I didn't go over. I was tempted, but I really want to make some progress between now and the video fitness/taping trip the third week in May. Thinking about it stopped me from going over. I have a late meeting today uptown with a new colleague. I may take a rest day from exercise but we're planning on a low point dinner so I hope to get the deficit (now at 4) a little lower.

Judy
Old 04-18-2001, 03:15 PM   #12  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Holly, congratulations!!! You have lost a LOT of weight! Keep it up! I'm glad you are taking WW with you. I am reminded of Pee Wee's Big Adventure when he and Simone are talking about their big "buts". You have made it so that you can go to the wedding, have a marvelous time, and you won't have this big "but I went off program" but to deal with. Good for you!

And yes, Judy, you are right, we can have what we want in moderation. It's just that I want it without moderation. %-)

And I am staying OP today too, but it's hard. The best fast food I could find (I'm a vegetarian) that would last me the long day I'm having cost me 12 points. I am going to have to start bringing my lunch pail. But, I'm counting it (see how these buts come into play) and will have a sensible salad for dinner.

Pat, if you can believe it, I gain and lose 9-16 pounds every month. Needless to say, it's one reason I'm doing WW at home. The leaders never believe me, even when I show them a DAILY weight-chart. Like I would make it up and gain and lose that much weight every month just to lie to them!! Yes, it is water, and a couple of strategies I use are:
avoid foods with extra salt on them;
don't get too frustrated when they ask you "are you drinking your water" - grrr - they are only trying to help, they DON'T know what it's like, and YES you can be upset at them but don't take it out on yourself with food;
avoid anything carbonated or caffeinated. Diet sodas are particularly bad for my water weight, so I quit soda entirely. Miss it about once a month, but glad I don't have that sticky afterbubbly feeling anymore. My body feels a bit clearer - hard to explain.

Hope this helps! The salt one is probably my #1 suggestion. Of course I forget to do these things and the weight charts show it, but now that you've reminded me, I will stay away from salt for a while! I am hoping that losing weight will get rid of this hideous water weight battle.

Hope everybody has a good day.

Jennifa
Old 04-18-2001, 11:48 PM   #13  

Holly - Congratulations on the loss. You'll be at the 10% soon. Great deal on the dress and shoes. No, my weight doesn't usually fluctuate very much. I think that was why I was so shocked. I expected a pound or two, but not 4!

Judy - Way to go fighting the temptation to go over max. I'm trying to forget about the gain and get back on track. I know a lot of the gain is probably water, but it was still a shock seeing those numbers again.

Jennifa - Thanks for the ideas on the water weight gain. I rarely have ham and I think that combined with TOM is what did me in. Also I forgot to mention that I used a new brand of self tanner the end of last week and was allergic to it. I ended up with a great tan and a rash on my arms and legs. I wonder if that had something to do with it too.

I had an okay day. I did go a couple of points over. We need to get to the grocery store, but my car is in the shop getting fixed after the accident. That leaves us with only one car for the three of us so we skipped grocery shopping this week. I've run out of a lot of my foods, but Darrell said he would try to get to the store tomorrow. I did take a walk tonight.

Pat
Old 04-19-2001, 10:13 AM   #14  

Jennifa – good for you staying OP. I bring my lunch almost every day and it makes is so much easier. Sometimes I’ll buy a little salad but I rarely buy lunch outside – I just find it too hard to count.

Pat – I’m glad to hear that you had a good day. I’m sure once you get the low point foods in the house things will be easier.

I did OK yesterday – I didn’t do any formal exercise but I had a 20 min walk from my meeting uptown to the train station so I gave myself one activity point. Tony wanted to switch what we were supposed to hve for dinner so it was a little higher point than I had planned. I ended up going over max by one last night (gave in to a little later night snacking) but with the activity point I still have a 4 point deficit. I plan on a couple of good workouts today so I should be able to whittle that down a bit more.

Have great one,
Judy
Old 04-19-2001, 01:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone -

The craziness here at work continues. But I think of you all every day, even if I don't check in.

Doxie - That 1/2 pound gain is most likely water. I know it will be gone by next week. Good for you for throwing away the jelly beans!

Jennifa - Welcome to the group! These ladies are the best! I loved the visual of a giraffe on muscle relaxants. I agree with Judy - no such thing as something we can't eat. Like Judy, I find the deprivation leads to binging.

Holly - Congrats on the loss this week and on a great total loss. I'm happy to hear that you're "bringing" WW with you on the trip. You'll feel so great!

Judy - Sounds like you're doing a great job whittling down that deficit. Was the WW lasagna a frozen dinner or a recipe?

Pat - Sorry to hear about your gain. I can empathize. But you know it was water from TOM and from ham and will be gone next week. I hate when I can't get to the grocery store - it's always dangerous, point-wise, to be scrounging for food.

I'm still struggling this week, but still trying to turn it around. I walked home from the train station last night, so I got a bit more exercise in. Right now, believe it or not, I'm trying to convince myself that I need to eat lunch. I'm not really hungry - a new and unusual state for me - but know if I don't eat something now, I'll go into full snack mode later.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Closed Thread