Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-02-2004, 02:29 PM   #1  

Default Celxa cause weight gain???

I just started Clexa for mild depression and was wondering if it will cause weight gain? Any help would be appreciated.
Julie
Jewels59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:22 PM   #2  
Number 1 Hockey Fan

Hi Julie--

I have been taking Celexa for almost 5 years now and I haven't gained ANY weight. In fact, I have probably lost 2 or 3 lbs since starting it. I have been on so many antidepressants over the last 20 years and this is the ONLY one that makes me feel alive again.

Good luck to you!

Garbanzo (Lisa)
Garbanzo Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:30 PM   #3  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

I've also been on celexa and didn't notice weight gain of any amt. Good luck with it!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I lost weight on celexa, but it made me ill, and after 3 weeks of throwing up my doctor finally realized it wasn't an eating disorder, but the actual pill. I tried one more pill after that, and it made me completely unemotional almost like a rock. Finally I just packed up, moved half way across the province and started walking, just leisurely everyday for an hour. Good luck
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #5  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I have been taking Celexa since October 2003 and have not had any weight gain from it nor has it inhibited my weight loss. I have found that it has helped with my anxiety attacks.

When I first started taking it I found that if I took it at night I couldn't sleep and if I took it first thing in the morning I felt sick. I discovered that if I took it in the morning after I ate breakfast I was fine so I always eat before taking it.

Each person reacts differently to medication so you may have to fine tune it to see what works for you - if you are having side affects talk to your doctor right away.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:56 PM   #6  

I'm taking Lexapro, which is similar to Celexa. It made me very ill for the first 2 weeks. I also have to take it at night because it keeps me awake if I take it in the morning. I lost 5 pounds after taking it because of how ill it made me.
big_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

I have 2 friends that take celexa and both have lost weight since they started taking it. They both say that they feel like "themselves" again and like it. Neither mentioned any problems taking it.

take care,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 08:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

wow.. I hate to be the opposite, but I gained 15 pounds on celexa in 6 months... and I was following WW.

I hope it works for you. It sounds like it works differently on everyone for the weight aspect.
JudoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:08 PM   #9  
This time I'll do it!!

Angry

I was on Celexa, it didn't affect my appetite at all. Now I'm on Lexapro, I have to take it at night, it makes me so tired. I don't think it affects my appetite at all. Zoloft on the other hand helped me to put on 50 lbs!
India On The Beach is offline   Reply With Quote