Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260.5/163.5/147

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy On WW and loss is very slow...

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same as I am. I've been on Weight Watchers now for 7 weeks and have 'only' lost 8lbs. 4lbs of that was in the first week, so you can see what I'm getting at.

Going to classes, reading stories online and also in magazines, I keep hearing of how many women are losing 3/4/5 lbs a week - and these are women of all different weights/ages/heights.

I can't understand it. I'm sticking to my points, and doing some exercise. I eat a few of my exercise points, but still the loss is so slow. I weigh in again tomorrow and I'll be lucky if I've even lost half a pound this week (I can always tell if I've lost).

Anyone had the same experience or got any tips?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:49 PM   #2  

well, I think your weightloss is at a very healthy rate. I know it is frustrating to not be losing as fast as others, but you are losing at a rate that is right for you. now, i have barely lost anything at all and i have been at it for 8 weeks. but I have some medical problems that are interfereing and are now just about resolved, but one tip i got from my WW leader is first, to make sure you eat your target points everyday, which you do, but also use some flexpoints on some days. for example, one day eat only your target points. then the next day eat your target points, plus maybe 3 or 5 flexpoints, the next day just the target, and then the next maybe 4 or 6 flexpoints. you get the idea. she says this jumpstarts your metabolism and can get you out of a plateau. i hope this helps! good luck
Old 06-27-2004, 07:13 PM   #3  

I agree. You are losing weight at a healthy pace. And the most important point you seem to be missing....YOU'RE LOSING. You're not gaining! That in itself is success! Congratulations. That's average of 1 lb. per week. That is awesome. Remember, you didn't get this way overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight. Stick with it! This is my 3rd time joining Weight Watchers & the 3rd time is a charm for me. I have had my most weight loss success this time. I joined in Jan. 04. As of yesterday's weigh in, I am down 35 lbs. Yesterday, I was up 1/2 lb. though. But....I know why...even though I stayed within my points....my cycle. I have found a pattern. So, I know I will have a loss next week. I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which has contributed to my significant weight gain & difficulty losing it. But finally, something is working. And maybe these other woman losing all those lbs. are going to gain it back. Maybe they aren't going to stick with it. And all those other diets aren't healthy. This IS healthy. You are losing the healthy way. I don't know how much you need to lose, but just think...if you stick with this, at 1 lb. per week, you could lose 52 lbs. in 1 year. I'm sure you didn't gain 52 lbs. in 1 year. So, you would still be losing faster than you put it on.

(OH! Are you drinking your water? I didn't see any mention of you doing that. This week, my leader pointed out that in the beginning, even more than the 6 glasses helps to lose more weight. I hate plain water, but I love this flavored water by VeryFine called Fruit20. It's made with Splenda and comes in all sorts of great flavors. I drink 3-4 bottles per day.)

Anyway, that's my motivational for the day....lol. I will pray for all my fellow Weight Watchers and I hope you have a great week!

amcap74
271/236/145 (realistically)
Old 06-28-2004, 11:21 AM   #4  

Hi Angel, I completely agree with all the comments above, you are doing fantastic, 8 pounds loss is a big amount, and I imagine that you are due another weigh in anytime now, If you have maintained that's great, If you've lost all the better, but if you've gained, it's still no problem. My friend started WW in Feb 04, about a month after me. I usually lose around a pound a week, yet she has lost 7 pounds in 4 months. Yet she has stuck with it, not lost heart, and although her loss is slow, it is at least happening. Please don't compare yourself to all those around yourself at your meeting, and on here, that have huge losses in a very short amount of time. We are all so different, and as long as you remain positive, it will happen.
I also agree with amcap, use your points, and drink the water, for some unknown reason, it really does make a difference.
One little thing you could try which I have heard can get things moving, is to move your meals around a bit. For example if you always have toast for breakfast, maybe have it for supper instead and have fruit or cereal for breakfast instead, and maybe a bigger lunch and smaller dinner for example, swap things about a bit to try and shift the metabolism into guessing mode. Anythings worth a try.

Good luck
Dawn x
Old 06-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #5  
Cowboy Up Chick

You say 'staying within points' what exactly does that mean? ARe you eating only Target Points or are you eating your APs and FPs too? Many of us find we lose better and more consistent by eating more.

Secondly the average loss OP (this means total losses divide by number of weeks) is .5-2 pounds a week and you are right in the middle.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:00 PM   #6  

Losing weight in the beginning with weight watchers is mostly water loss. Like other diets. I joined in January 04,and lost8 lbs first 2 weeks. I was so happy! I had never had success at other weight loss programs.
I have lost 19 lbs. It does get harder at a certain point. I am stuck right now. I don't drink enough water. I do have to try those flavored waters. And, avoid the temptations of the strawberry torte cake. I could eat one up in a day!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

My leader had been talking about some ladies who had hit a plateau and she had them increase their dairy to the 3 recommended servings and they started losing again. Are you getting in your dairy???
Old 07-03-2004, 08:06 AM   #8  

Thanks for your suggestions guys! It's just so hard to pinpoint what I'm doing 'wrong' - if anything. I think some people just lose quicker than others and that's life. I lost a pound at my last weigh in, that's 9.5lbs in 8 weeks. It's not great, but at least it's coming off. I guess I just have to be patient!!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:16 AM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Hang in there Angel!

Just think you are 9.5 pounds closer to your goal weight.

You only have 23.5 more pounds to go and that too might be the problem.

You are so close to your goal weight.

Congrats to you for getting where you are right now!

Focus on how great you have done!
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #10  
Cowboy Up Chick

Also remember that average loss on W/W are .5-2 pounds a week and try eating more points.

You said you eat a few of your exericse/activity points...eat more of them.
Do you eat your Flex Points? Eat some or all of them too.

Contrary to popular belief eating less does not always equate large losses.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 PM   #11  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Don't give up Angel! You are doing really well

There are a couple of us at my WW meetings that are slow to lose but we are sticking with it. Everyone here has given you great suggestions

My leader suggested that we review our journals for the weeks that we were losing to see how we were eating at that point and then try to eat the same way for a couple of weeks to see if that gives us a jumpstart again.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #12  

15lbs now in 11 weeks, but I had a 3.5 loss last week due to illness so it makes it sound better! I will get there, all be it slowly. The killer is going to be when I go on hols in September. Hope I don't end up back at square 1!!
Old 07-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #13  

You are still doing well Angel - that is 15lbs that you aren't lugging around anymore

I am going away in August and will be eating all my meals out.

My strategy is this:

go on-line and do a search of the city I will be staying in and find out what restaurants are available within walking distance of my hotel.

-pick out a couple of places and either go to the restaurant's website if they are a chain and have a site and see what their menu/nutrional info is and pick a couple of different choices and write down the points value in a small notebook or I check out my WW eating out guide for the points.

-if it is not a chain I find out what the points are for that food from my food companion. IE. at an Indian restaurant my best choices are regular Chicken Tikka (not the masala sauce one) 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 nan bread and a 1/2 cup vegetable dish (not done in cream sauce) like aloo gobi or sag aloo baji, maybe Bombay potatoes. I know it is better to go for a curry rather than a cream based sauce.

So I plan out the options for the restaurant and write it in my notebook and take it with me when I pack.

- I walk everyday and I swim in the hotel pool once per day to get my exercise in.

If you are staying with friends or family then offer to help make dinner or make salad as part of dinner or make up plates of fresh fruit for dessert and snacks and make sure you plan activities that get you moving - swimming, walking, hiking, playing badminton in the back yard even.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to stay OP while on vacation?
Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 262/255/12

Angel...it sounds as though you are doing quite well...but I do understand where you are coming from...I started WW in Jan. 04...up through May I had lost about 38 pounds...but than I began going up 1 or 2 pounds than down 1 or 2 pounds...so I got frustrated and quit...over a 9 week period of time I put on 12 pounds...so I am back on program...so please don't get discouraged...just take it one day at a time...the program does work...

you other chickies...are such good motivators...I am really glad that I found this site...
Old 07-31-2004, 07:38 PM   #15  

Welcome billie_sammie

There are a lot of great people on this site - I joined about two years ago and have stuck around since.
Closed Thread