Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #1  

Red face Frightened but Willing

This is something that is very hard for me to do but a dear friend of mine has used the support of an online message forum to help her lose 50 pounds and I thought I could try it out for myself.

I am 25 years old and weigh over 300 pounds....I feel as though I have so much to offer this world but that the world judges me because of the way I look. I have tried to lose weight over the last while and have been unsuccessful mostly because I lack the support of people around me. Most people I believe have come to think of me...and just associate me as fat and happy....but I am not.....

SO vulnerably I put myself out here.....looking for some friends that will support me through this battle.....I have to be a maid of honor in a wedding next September and I want to feel great as I walk down the aisle.....I want to wear a dress I would not even be able to try on right now...I want to do it for me.

I have the capacity to do this....I just know it....

melkara
melkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Melkara:

You've come to the right place for support! There are a lot of very nice, supportful, and well informed people here.

Will you be using any kind of plan for your weight loss? I have been cutting out junk food and reducing calories and have lost 25 lbs this year. 20 of those since I joined this board. I have to say, it really does help to come here and read posting from people that are going thru the exact same struggles that I am. I have been really inspired by what I read here.

So take a look around, there are many groups here. I am sure that you will find a group that will support you through your weight loss journey.

Lynn
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

so listen, melk... how are you planning to go about this? the folks who have lost a lot of weight generally say that they made a series of small changes that they could manage. and stick with. so, from, say, walking for 5 minutes a day and then adding 5 minutes each week, by the end of two months they were walking for 45 minutes and covering a couple of miles!

some focus on emotional eating - stress, boredom, sadness, whatever - and make whatever changes they need to in order to disconnect.

check out the maintainers forum to find out what people are saying it takes to get to their goal and stay there.. and the 100 pound club, for folks who have at least 100 pounds to lose, is full of wisdom. and the nicest folks are on the 300+ group.

explore.. ask lots of questions.. hang out... it'll all be ok. i promise.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #4  

Hi, Melkara, and welcome...and don't be afraid, you're amongst friends here! I've met some great people who've helped me stay on my diet plan, so can you.

You mentioned your weight...if you don't my asking, how tall are you? I only ask because, even at 300 pounds and a short stature, not only diet but simple gentle exercise can help you on your way to losing weight. Even if it's just a walk around your neighbourhood. (I should warn you, I'm a reformed workout junkie...I recommend exercise for anything...)

I was on the SlimFast Plan until some really informed people here warned me of its high sugar-content. Every time I've asked advice here I've gotten excellent answers. I'm sure you will, too. Please keep in touch to let us know how you're getting on, and with any questions you might have. You've got awhile before that wedding, just keep at it and don't give up.

Best wishes,

Feyd.
FeydRautha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #5  

melkara, good luck and keep dropping in here. I've only just discovered this site, but have found it inspiring and motivating - I ended up on the rowers at the gym on Saturday lunchtime simply because I started reading the exercise threads!!

It's not easy, we all know that. But just take one day at a time. That's what I try to do when it all seems too hard. I know we want results *now*, but try to look at the bigger picture, say a month away, or even Christmas.

All the best,
Kate xx
Katey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Feyd:

If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing now? I have been doing Slimfast also but wouldn't mind getting away from it a bit. I have read what people here have said, and I don't think it has too many fans. I just hate to cook though so that's why I chose it. I love how easy it is.

Lynn
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:43 PM   #7  

Welcome to this site. We are all in the same situation, some of us with more to lose and some of us with less, but not matter how much we are all in the same struggle. Remember that you are more than a weight or number on a scale. You are a precious child of God and a gift to the world and God has a purpose for your life. I would suggest taking baby steps. Find one behavior at a time to change, set small goals of 10 pounds at a time and when you reach that 10 pound mark reward yourself with a non food reward. You can do this and we are here to help and lift you up. God Bless You and good luck. Remember to do things one day at a time and if that is too hard then do them one hour at a time.
praytherosary822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime
Feyd:

If you don't mind my asking, what are you doing now? I have been doing Slimfast also but wouldn't mind getting away from it a bit.
Lynn:

I basically discovered the wonders of grilling and poaching. I still eat mainly salad, tofu, fresh fruit, raw or steamed vegetables and I've brought our juicer out of storage and started making some wonderful (and surprisingly filling) fresh vegetable juice drinks. It's a shame you don't like to cook, some recipes only take a smidgen of preparation and cooking time. And I'm still avoiding high-carb foods like rice, bread, pasta and white, starchy veggies.

I went off SlimFast because the high sugar-content was making me very irritable and short-tempered (I've never been a big sugar-eater), but since my weight's crept back up the scale slightly I'm toying with the idea of going back on it for a bit. And yes, I agree, the convenience is key to staying on the plan. I really miss that.
FeydRautha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:35 AM   #9  

Hi melkara, welcome! You've come to the right place for support. Like others have said, figure out a plan that you can stick with, cause this has to be a lifestlye change not just a diet if it's going to work, and take baby steps! Small changes that compound has seemed to work better all around than trying to go "cold turkey" Good luck on your journey and please don't be afraid to ask for help, we're here for you.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote