Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #1  
heyboygetasweaterrightnow

Default does anybody know of a good appetite supressant?

pill, natural, or anything else?

i've just switched from low carb to low fat, and i miss the full feeling i had while on low carb due to ketosis, but i'm determined to not go back to low carb because i feel what i'm doing now is healthier. i try to eat around 1200 calories a day, but i just can't seem to feel full, even eating lots of fruits and veggies. any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #2  

hot chocolate? Sometimes works for me! One of those 40kcals sachets.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #3  

maybe! i'll try, haha. thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

modest, I also eat 1200 calories or less a day because I have low thyroid.

I have been using a product called "Eat Less" which is basically a fiber pill. I'm trying to stay away from diet pills and such, but felt like this was a good alternative because it's basically natural and just fiber. You take 1 or 2 capsules 20 minutes before lunch with a full glass of water, and then again before supper. It is important to drink a lot of water with the fiber, but I drink over 100 oz of water a day so it is not a problem for me, and I do feel like the fiber helps fill me up. Also being low thyroid I need all the fiber I can get.

Cathy
Old 06-16-2004, 09:52 PM   #5  
it's always something

Try a glass of V-8 juice before your meal. It's surprisingly filling, for very few calories.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Suzanne, I totally agree - I find V-8 juice very filling.

And I was just coming back here to say that also "exercise" is an appetite suppressant for me. I am not hungry for probably an hour after I exercise.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Small meals! When I started Body For Life I was amazed at how my hunger decreased. The plan calls for 6 small meals a day and it is suprisingly satisfying.

Just for plain old gnawing hunger, I usually have decaf coffee with steamed skim milk, occasionally with some sugar free Davinci syrup.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Small frequent meals works for me too.

Are you referring to "Stomach Hunger" or "head hunger" I wonder? There IS a difference. For me, the head hunger's the big bugaboo, KWIM?

What I'm doing now - and this works for me - is cutting out SUGAR. I've been sugar free since May 26th, and feeling great! And the head hunger's vanished. (Along with sugar, I've cut out most bread - although on the weekends I do treat myself to something like a hamburger at Red Robin or the like).

That's what works for me anyhow.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:55 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

MrsJim - I totally know what you mean about the head hunger, where you think you are hungry because you are bored yep been there done that one I also love the way being sugar free, and like you I have also pretty much cut out my bread save for maybe one day a month where'll I'll have a slice of whole wheat. I find I always have to stop myself and say hey are you hungry because you need sustanance or hungry because you've got nothing better to do 99% of the time I'm just bored.

Michelle
Old 06-17-2004, 06:03 AM   #10  

i'm definitely talking about belly hungry, haha. it growls and growls and i'm like, i just ate 15 mins ago! and i'm so scared about using up all my calories too early. it makes me want to go back to low carb long enough to get to goal and then switch over to a normal eating plan. i will look for those fiber supplements though, they sound like a good idea. i try to drink a bottle of water right before eating, which fills me up for a little while. but i ate so much today and i'm still hungry
Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Don't know of any pills but what works for me is a big iced hazelnut coffee, or some Ckn Boulion (broth) just try to get the kind without MSG and watch the carbs, they also make low salt versions but to me it taste gross.

How about some veggies & LF dip.

I think its Axelrod brand that makes a 2% cottage cheese w/ only 3 gms of carbs per serving (some have 6 gms so read read read). I eat that w/some davinci's pineapple syrup, its pretty darn good.

Celery w/a dab of natural pnut butter.

A big glass of crystal light sunrise b/4 breakfast or any meal is always tasty and you get lots of vitamin c.

There are some days when I'm ravenous, and you know I just stay on plan but I eat! these days are mid cycle and right b/4 aunt flo visits (like last night, I was so hungry I had some cottage cheese and a huge handful of pnuts).

How about making some stuffed mushrooms to pick on, or hard boiled or deviled eggs, you can make all this low fat and low cal but these things are filling and will stick w/you longer.

Hope this helps...hugs.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

Did you change from low carb to good carb or 'any' carb? Refined carbs like white bread and white potatoes and corn are more likely to make you hungry sooner than good carbs with fiber, such as whole wheat bread (it can't say enriched flour on the ingredients and be 100% whole wheat), sweet potatoes and berries. Also adding a little more protein to your snacks will help you stay full longer. Egg whites and Smuckers Natural Reduced Fat peanut butter (no added fats and sugar) are two things I like that are high protein low fat.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:41 PM   #13  

Growling stomach is not an indication of hunger. It means you swallowed a lot of air when you ate.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The best appetite suppressants that I know of are:

exercise-I always feel much more energetic, and less hungry when I exercise.

eating "good carbs" instead of bad ones-I am borderline diabetic...and I can feel bad (refined carbs and sugar) burn through my bloodstream like wildfire-and I am STARVING soon afterwards. If my carbs consist of fruits, veggies, and whole grains-and I skip the crackers, Pop-Tarts, kiddie cereals, and white bread-then I feel much more satisfied for longer. I tell you, nothing sends me into a blood sugar rush and soon after "starving mode" like a bagel or Pop-Tart. If I eat either one of those items, in my experience-I am GUARANTEED to binge eat later in the day. Lesson learned.

Aphil
Old 06-25-2004, 12:56 PM   #15  
Type *

I just found a tea, its called BIJA Healing Teas. Hoodia Slimming, its cactus and green tea and other good stuff. It acts as an appetite suppressant. I also take Niacin and Chromemate, they are vitamins that help with cravings. Its all working, Ive lost 13 pounds in less than 3 weeks. I also listen to a Low Carb Self Hypnosis CD at night.
Closed Thread