Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #1  

Default New here, need to lose weight and pregnant

Hi everyone, I am so new to this site so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong area or if I am just a moron. I have been a large lady since I was about 19 and will be 30 in Septemebr of this month. I was actually planning on having the Roun Y surgery done this summer to reduce the size of my stomache, since I meet all of the requirements. The last time I weighed which was like 6 months ago I was about 350+ lbs, but just recently like 3 weeks ago found out I am pregnant, with my 3rd child. This was a huge shock to me, and I am so freaked out right now about trying to lose some weight in a healthy way, but to make it easier on me and the baby. Does anyone have any suggestions I can use? I am right at 7 weeks pregnant, and have started to exercise some, (considering I never use to), and to cut down on the junkfood and fried foods, and to incorporate water into my diet, (since I don't drink water,) but I don't feel like this is all I can do. I am ready to pull my hair out, like I said if anyone has any ideas I would so be indebted to you 4ever,!!!!!
mom_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:46 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

mom4life.. hmmmmm. you certainly have a lot going on!!!! and obviously, your surgery is on hold right now. as it should be. what does your doctor say? there ARE ways to control your weight AND have a healthy baby, but it takes a lot of good advice. i've known a couple of women who've had GREAT pregnancy results with weight watchers.

but you MUST do this with your doc's guidance, and perhaps a good dietician. and physical therapist. exercise is great, but if you're only just starting AND you're pregnant, ya gotta take it slow. the changes you're making in your diet sound perfect, and the water is essential. ya gotta keep drinking it for a healthy pregnancy.

baby steps, darlin. make a small change, and make it one you can stick with. make sure you get enough protein and calcium. take your vitamins.

and i'll see what i can do to get your post moved out of this thread and into another place where it'll get the attention it deserves.

you've found the best place on the internet for support, warmth, and love. there's a huge amount of wisdom around here... so feel free to explore...

please keep us posted.

and let us know what the doc says. you're gonna talk to the doc tomorrow, AREN'T YOU????? <see??? that was a NAG!!!!!>
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

Mom 4 Life - I agree with Jiffypop. You need to make sure that you talk to your doctor before you start any weight loss or exercise program. Doing the general healthy stuff is very important. You can add water, cut out colas, eat more fruits and veggies and cut out junk food and that will make a huge difference. I know a woman who left the hospital last week 12 pounds lighter than when she got pregnant. She was overweight and higher risk for gestational diabetes. She did get diabetes while pregnant and when she followed the diet she was eating healthier than she was before she was pregnant - so it doesn't necessarily mean you will gain much weight during pregnancy.

Cut out junk food, eat lots of healthy food and don't restrict your calories until you ask your doctor what to do. If you can't get in with your ob/gyn, then check with your general doctor. If your doctor's office can't get you in for a while, ask them if there is somebody else in the practice you can see , like a nurse or dietician.

Good luck!!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:59 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome, Mom4life!!
Jiffy's and Jennifer's suggestions are perfect! We're here for you for support when you need it... hang in there, hon!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Mom4life - I'm very familiar with your situation as I recently had a baby. I was 222 when I got pregnant and my doctor said absolutely not to "diet" or try and lose weight while I was pregnant, I did however start exercising (walking treadmill, or elliptical) and felt wonderful! Of course I checked with doc first and she gave the go ahead. Eating good is definately another change you should make for you and your baby. I cut out all other beverages when I was pregnant and drank only water. You can make this a healthy pregnancy, its just important that you don't try to diet but you can make healthy lifestyle changes Good Luck to you! We're here if you need us!

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5' 7"

I was 217 when I got pregnant with my daughter, and 200 lbs 2 weeks after she was born! I gained about 1 lb a month in the middle months - but 7 lbs in the first 3 mos, because I was so careful (multiple miscarriages before that). I began exercising - swimming 5 times a week - in my 4th month.
And, once the morning sickness was over, I ate reduced fat (NOT NO FAT!!) protein daily, fruits and vegetables and whole grain.
I taked to my doctor about this, and she was adament about no crazy dieting, but strongly suggested a healthy, balanced diet. It just seemed like I wanted to eat REALLY HEALTHY from the bottom of my soul, to take care of my child. It wasn't even hard. It was the coping with small children that made me want to eat.
A typical day
Breakfast- 8 oz low fat yogurt, 1 cup fresh organic strawberries, 2 oz. grape nuts.
Lunch - 1 low fat kosher hot dog, 8 oz green beans 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
Dinner - 3 oz fish, 2 veggies, 1 fruit, 2-4 oz whole wheat bread or pasta.

Snack - 2 oz cereal, or a 1 slice bread. 1 glass 2% milk.
My daughter weighed 10 lbs.
Good luck, it can be done! If your other kids are home, go out for walks as a family - let them run off some of that excess energy so you can get some rest.
Get help - let people do shopping, or watch the kids while you nap.
I believe you can do this. so take care, and let us know how things are going!

Last edited by KristasMom; 06-20-2004 at 11:54 AM.
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I was 317 when I got got PG with my son. I checked into the hospital for my c-section at 304 and left the hospital at 295. I was also diagnosed with gestational diabetes and put on a lower carb diet (not low carb, just less carbs). I eventually had to have insulin shots as well. I agree that this is something you need to discuss with your doctor. If you start making healthy choices now they will already be a habit by the time your little one is here and you will be well on your way to losing weight.

IMO (an I'm not even close to the medical profession) is that if you start eating healthier and exercising, you will lose some of your weight while pregnant. You might check out the pregnancy forum http://www.pregnancy.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=36 they were a great help to me during both my pregnancies.

BTW I was advised to eat healthier and exercise because the hospital where I delivered only had operating tables with a 350 pound limit and if I went over that I would've had to transfer to a hospital a couple hours away from my home.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote