Old 06-10-2004, 06:03 PM   #1  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Default New with lots of ????

Hi everyone!

My name is Shelley and I am new to Atkins and this board. I started on June 7th after seeing the great results my mother and brother had on the program. I've done Susan Powter for years with no impact. I've stayed under 30 grams of fat per day and I've gone up, down and everyplace inbetween. It just didn't work for me. My mom has lost 30 plus pounds since Easter and my brother 40 plus since February. So, here I am, ready to try something new.

I have to say that eating all this meat and cheese takes some getting used to. On the SP diet, it was almost unheard of the eat this way. Im trying to be open minded and realize that it didn't work for me, so I shouldn't be treating it like a religion. I started Atkins monday and I have lost 4 pounds so far. But I do have alot of questions, as I haven't read the book yet (Getting it this weekend). Hoping you can fill me in!

I understand induction to be meat, cheese and eggs. Is there a max or minimum quanty or is it as needed to feel satisfied? Going back to my low fat training, it seems nuts to eat so much fat.

How much cheese is ok? Is there any prescribed amount?

Does everyone get the shakes and feel weak or is it just me?

And why does my stomach feel like I have 20 pounds of raw meat in it? (Yikes, maybe because I didn't eat much meat on the low fat diet?

I have been doing 0 - 5 carbs per day. Is that ok or should I be eating more? I just want to get this fat off once and for all.

Yikes, lots of questions. Im sure they will be answered when I get the book. In the mean time, any help from you would be appreciated!

I can't wait to become part of your group! Your posts are so inspiring!

Thanks for listening (Reading?) as I rambled on!

Shelley
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:19 PM   #2  

Hey
since I was here with the EXACT ( well almost ) same questions, I will do the honors.

You are suppost to eat untill you are full nothing more, I have a little trick.
Eat a BIG breakfast, and then have 5 smaller meals a day.

I am on a modified atkins diet for weight training, so I eat this for breakfast:
3eggs cheese ham,
oatmeal ( carbs )
protien shake.

you could do the same without the oatmeal just have a salad or something.

You should read this:
Atkins 101 - http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-238691.html

You can't go ONLY meat/cheese or you will be very unhealthy make sure to use up your daily vegtable allowment...
frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:26 PM   #3  

Definately get the book and read it. That's really important. Check out the Food Log here and you'll get alot of good information about how you should be eating. Be careful with the cheese, it can cause stalls. Also, join us in daily chat for support. You'll find lots of that here. Good luck and welcome!
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #4  
The Princess O' Pets

Welcome Seashell!!

Until you get the book you can check out Atkins.com it outlines induction foods and qauntity there. PLEEEEEEAAASE eat you veggies it is VERY important this is not just a meat/cheese/eggs diet. You should be having either 3 cups of leafy veggies (not iceburg lettuce) or 1 cup veggies and 2 cups leafy EVERYDAY!!! The list of acceptable veggies is on Atkins.com as well.

Good luck and no this is not a doet it is a whole new way of eating for life.....you go back to eating your pre-atkins amount of carbs and the weight will come back same as anything else. Fell free to ask many questions and jump in on the forum daily, these ladies will keep you motivated!!
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:55 PM   #5  
Baby Steps

Hi seashell. You've gotten great advice so far. Yes, the veggie stuff IS a must. As is water. I can't push the exercise part as I'm not a huge fan of it and haven't always done it myself. I'm slowly making myself do it. The book is very important. Be careful of the website as it'll tell you that it's ok to have other foods than what the book does. The book is more strict. Also be careful of sugar alcohols. Welcome and join the daily jungle..I mean chat
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:19 AM   #6  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Thanks everyone!

Hey, whats an Equator Trek?

Shell
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #7  
Head Princess

Hey Shell and welcome! As has been said, for the love of your health, stop what you're doing RIGHT NOW! That's how people end up in the hospital. It's very important that you understand what you're doing to your body and how it all works before jumping into anything health related. Get the book. Read it. Do your research. You will end up healthy and much more likely to be successful in your goals.

Frodo - Good job! I could just kiss you!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:01 PM   #8  
Baby Steps

Equator trek miles are basically the daily miles you exercise. For every 20 minutes of exercise you get 1 mile. We just add the miles on the bottom to see how far we've gone. Feel free to join in
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote