Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #1  
BuddaBelly

Default phase one

Hi,

I'm obviously a newbie and thinking seriously about trying the south beach diet. I've never dieted before, but I have a belly that I just can't shake. Actually, I can shake it...I guess that's the problem

Do i definitely need the book?

For Phase I, can I just pick and choose from the recipes, or do I need to follow a specific menu each day?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 04:56 PM   #2  
I found my hipbones!

Hi, candicea--

I wouldn't say you really "need" the book to succeed at this, though, from what I've seen on the forum here, the people that own the books seem to do better with knowing the tricks of the diet. For example, the book gives tips on when you're starting Phase II like there are better times of day to eat fruit than others. Or tips on staying on program when you eat out... It really helped me to understand the science of why SBD works, and I find that I have an easier time grocery shopping for having read it. The recipes in the book are very helpful, but check out the recipes on the webpage here as well. Variety is the key.

I have not followed any of the specific menus from the book, and it's not necessary, though it's helpful for some. Some members of the forum have actually mentioned that they felt the menus from the book introduce too many new carbs when Phase II begins. It's mostly a wait-and-see-how-your-body-reacts thing, I think.

Personally, I would get the Good Fats/Good Carb Guide at the very least if I were in your shoes.

Welcome and good luck!
Old 06-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi there --

I would encourage you to read the book, yes. You'll be able to better follow the diet if you understand how it works. If you don't want to buy it, go to a bookstore and read it.

And no, you do not need to follow a specific menu. I am the type that doesn't mind eating the same thing everyday -- and you may have to if you narrow down the choices. Anything on the acceptable list is acceptable in any combination.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:32 AM   #4  

Thanks for that input. I was also wondering if my problems were from not eating the menus as listed. I can't afford to buy that many different thing just for me and I don't mind the lack of variety.

Of course I wish I had found these forums BEFORE I bought the book.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:42 PM   #5  

I don't think anyone who has not read the book can say they are really on the plan. You might have others ideas of what is right, but reading the book gives you the real scoop.
Closed Thread