Old 06-08-2004, 10:50 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #22

Good Evening, Flowers!
We have had a strange day for weather -- very humid and cloudy this morning, the sun played hide and seek this afternoon, and dark clouds with a sprinkle of rain this evening. To the west and north of us was under a thunderstorm with hail watch so I'm glad we missed that.

I spent the day cleaning and doing more laundry. Washed bathroom rugs and a pile of towels that DH uses in the garage when he is tinkering around and washing vehicles.

"Gma" -- Good luck with your MRI tomorrow! I think the medical profession should have "HURRY UP AND WAIT" in their motto somewhere. I didn't realize that your arm was broken . . . big or little break doesn't matter, I'm sure it is still painful for you. Keep us posted!

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world tonight. I have a dentist appt. in the morning and then a perm. I wasn't going to do a perm but think that I didn't get the best cut the last time . . . have hunks sticking out where I don't want them to stick out and holes where I don't want holes! I just hope the humidity doesn't make it a tighter curl . . . I just want a little body to hold the mop in place.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 02:00 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Arrow ♥ Tuesday Evening ♥

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Not much going on here. Been out to the MH checking things and measuring to see what we want to do. Took out some things that we won't use like extra tables tht are only extra weight. I would rather put some lighter folding tables in to use that we can use outside also than have that heavy table. It was one that had leafs that made it as long as the couch. We kept the smaller table in there that will be plenty for us to use. There is not nearly the amount of space as we had in our travel trailer but we will manage. I like the idea of having that built in blender and ice crusher ~ I do love my smoothies.

JEAN I too hope you get the cut and perm that you want. Isn't it nice that hair does grow when one gets a bad cut then after a while you can have it redone. From the sound of what your hair looks like now is like your cat that has been pulling hair out by the chunks. Are you sure he hasn't been after your head? Gotta watch those critters.

BUBBLES well well stranger please do come back soon! Great to have you posting once more. Your renovations sound great. I like the fact that you will have a bigger kitchen especially.

FAYE MIR's aren't so bad now they have those open machines. If you are closterphobic they will sedate you. They don't bother me at all but Cowboy had to be sedated for his. The tech are very understanding about such things. Hope they get you on the road to mend soon.

Have a wonderful Humpday on the morrow.

M♥GGIE

Last edited by Maggie; 06-09-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:11 PM   #3  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a humid day here and I have left the air on. It's only 80 degrees but it does feel good to come in from outside. I went to the dentist this morning . . . no cavities! Then I went shopping for a shower gift and a pair of black T-sandals to wear to an outdoor wedding this weekend. There were none to be found in this one horse/one shoe store town so I will just make do with my white sandals since I can't get my dress shoes on yet. My outfit is black and white. I refuse to wear my "funny" shoe. I ended the morning with getting a perm and we shall see what it does once I wash it. I can never get it to look like my beautician does.

Maggie -- Has Turn had a tour of your new MH yet? It's funny you should mention the cat pulling my hair out since "Maggie" does like to dig in my hair and always has. She will lick and lick if I would let her. I don't know if it is the shampoo, glaze, or hairspray that attracts her. DH uses the same brand and she doesn't pay any attention to his. They are funny characters, that's for sure.

Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. Have a nice "rest of the day" and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 06-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Arrow ♥ Wednesday Evening ♥

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

The high today was 79 degrees and it has cooled down to 76 as I type at 6:30 pm. Nice breeze blowing. I have done a terrible job staying within my points this week ~ totally lost my grip. Tomorrow I am determined to get back on again. Nuf said about that. I have the wierdest thing going on with my right ear. It is popping like there is a little drummer in there doing a slow beat. It started in the middle of the afternoon so I don't think it got any water in it during my shower. It goes dum dum dump de dump. I think it might just drive me crazy if it doesn't stop.

JE♥N that is too funny about Maggie the cat getting into your hair. I was just teasing not knowing that she really likes to do that. I really think it is a good idea for you to wear your "old" white sandals because they are already broken in. A brand new pair of shoes might not be too good for that freshly operated on piggie.

Have a good one and I'll type at you later.

M♥GGIE
Old 06-10-2004, 01:15 AM   #5  

Hi All,
It must be hot all over........I called Maine about 11 AM and it was 93! Hot and sticky here and I feel as though every bit of dust is clinging to my sweaty body. With luck willl get my AC back tomorrow, just in time for Ian on Friday night. They got the electrical receptical boxes in today as well as the switch boxes. My boy Arlen keeps asking me questions for which I have no answers! I tell him to make the decisions for me.

Can't believe we'll be leaving Saturday! I'll pack tomorrow and borrow my neighbor's washer and dryer, since I don't have either anymore. Never thought I'd say it, but I'm tired of eating out all the time!

Take care. Understand WW is coming out with yet another food plan which has several of the leaders upset to the point they're going to quit. It's still top secret, so I'd best keep my mouth shut except to say, it doesn't make much sense to me. They're going on the premise that you eat "core foods" until you're full.........as someone said, if I knew when I was full, I wouldn't have gotten in this mess to begin with! Point well taken. Saw a former WW member today who's lost over 100lbs with the Gastric Bypass. It's been very successful for her.........is alwful tempting.

Happy Thursday,
Bubbles

Last edited by graybubs; 06-10-2004 at 01:17 AM.
graybubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:35 AM   #6  

Jean: Have fun at the wedding. I am sure your white sandals look great with your outfit! I would loan you my black sandals from the wedding, but I have huge feet and am not allowed to wear them because they were the ones "involved" in the accident!

Maggie: I had the old machine and luckily didn't have my head in the thing. The noise is awful even with earplugs. I had a headache afterward. Now I wait for the results. I have to say this place, which is connected to the hospital, has the most fabulous personnel! When you have to do something unpleasant, it is always nice to have nice people working with you and my MRI tech was a peach. Real southern lady.

Bubs: BYPASS HORROR STORY: My sister's sil had bypass, it went wrong and she may now die. She has been sick for 2 years since having it done, is a skeleton, has brain lesions which have caused brain damage and all because they just found that the tube connecting the intestine to the smaller stomach LEAKED! For two years she has had bile and stomach contents going directly into her bloodstream basically causing septicemia throughout her body. They can't even repair it because she is so weak she would die on the table! I know it is the way for some folks, but I am just going to keep on the harder but safer route to weight loss!

Have a great day everyone!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #7  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is a gloomy morning in my corner of the world. We got some rain during the night but it has cooled off to a pleasant 64 degrees as I type. We have had the strangest weather this spring.

One of my outside momma cats has moved her kittens in under our deck. We saw her carry in at least two this morning. I'm surprised she put them there because that's where different creatures (raccoons, possums, tom cats) run to if we happen to scare them unintentionally.

I'm heading off to the grocery store and then to the dreaded Wal Mart. I've been invited to a garden tea party tomorrow. We are supposed to wear gloves and a hat so I'm hoping WM might have a straw hat that I can decorate with ribbons or flowers. A very creative gal from my church lives on an acreage (by Rembrandt close to SR, Maggie!) and she has planted theme flower gardens around her property. Each has a history/story along with the appropriate props which she explains as we tour. Afterwards we have a tea party. I went several years ago, without the hat and gloves; it was great fun.

Maggie -- I hope your ear has settled down. That doesn't sound like any fun at all. The shoe store guy told me that it usually takes at least 6 months for feet to go back to their presurgery size. The doctor told me I should be back in shoes after 6 weeks. . .right now, the salesman has my vote since I can't even get my foot into a "regular" shoe! My goof around sandals have adjustable straps so I just made one shoe bigger.

Bubbles -- It will be interesting to see what the new WW plan is. My personal opinion is that the current plan is much too lenient -- for me anyway. I'm all for eating regular food but I know that I can't have my favorites as often nor in the quantities I would like. I had the best luck on the old 123 plan. I wish I would have saved the books! Maybe I should check out Ebay and see if they might be there.

"Gma" -- Glad your MRI is over with and I hope you get the results sooner rather than later. Our MRIs are done in a portable unit, as in a semi truck, which we share with other area hospitals. I think if I ever need one, I would opt to go to a larger facility that has the open machines. There is a surgeon who practiced gastric bypass surgery in Des Moines and over the past 2 (?) years, he has had 5 patients die. After the last one died he quit doing the surgery saying that it was too emotionally involved with the patients and their families. There are several lawsuits pending including some from patients who are still living with the side effects from the surgery. He is now moving to Ohio and sent letters out to his patients stating he would no longer be practicing in Iowa. In the paper yesterday, one of his patients who died received the letter! Her husband is suing because he maintains she was very sick for 3 weeks prior to her death and the doctor ignored the symptoms. I don't think, no I'm sure, I could never go that route. Even the so-called success stories still have such life changing challenges for the rest of their lives.

I need to get busy! Have a nice day, Flowers! I will be back later.

Jean -- again in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-10-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:39 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Arrow Weigh Day Report

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another cooler Spring type day here and lovely. The heat of Summer will come soon enough. I showed a 0.2 gain today and was totally surprised it wasn't 5 pounds the way I ate last week. I now know what it will take to maintain my present weight ~ tons of food!

Another thing about By-Pass surgery...I knew a beautiful teen that had it done and died. I knew a wonderful wife that had 3 lovely children and a devoted husband that had the surgery and died. I can go on and on but that is to say I will NEVER have it. I would rather be fat than be dead right now.

BUBBLES you can e-mail me about that new program and I won't tell a soul. I am so curious you see but I can keep a secret. Please O please tell me. Have fun on your trip and be safe and please don't have surgery.

FAYE I certainly hope they find something if anything that can be easily fixed. Nice to know wouldn't it. The newer open machines aren't so noisy.

JEAN I got to thinking that tap dancing in my ear may be cause by a nerve somewhere and not my ear at all. I pressed several places on the back of my neck and one spot I pressed the dancing quit. I held pressure there for awhile (bruised myself in doing that) and it quit. So the only thing I can figure I may have gotten catty wampus during my sleep and a nerve in my neck was objecting. Maybe I need a new pillow. Enjoy your tea party! What a neat thing to do to plant a flower garden like that. I like you friend.

Everyone have a lovely eveing. It is still afternoon here and we are going top down to get a fat free sugar free root beer float down town.......
Old 06-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #9  

I'm back! The sun is now shining brightly and you would never know that it rained earlier.

Maggie -- What a nice surprise for you at WI! If Bubbles shares the secret with you then she has to share with me too! I am kind of surprised that they would change programs in the middle of the year though. I'm glad your thumping is gone from your ear area! The one thing I remember from my last tea party was that Margo had taken a child's pair of red rubber boots and planted flowers in them. I would never have thought to do that in a million years. The first time I ever met her, she and I were working on Bible School together. As we stood and talked, she cut out letters, free hand, for the bulletin board without really even paying any attention to her hands, paper, or scissors. She and her husband host an open house between Christmas and New Year's with all kinds of fancy food; they have the outside decorated with lights in all shapes and forms around the yard and farm buildings. When our kids were little they had a German Shepherd that wouldn't think twice about biting a stranger's leg right off. Margo named him Fluffy. She came home from school one day and there was a strange car parked with no one in it. When she got out of her car, she could hear the dog barking and he had a salesman hanging on the side of a grain bin for dear life. Her husband traveled for his job and she always said she felt safe with that dog around. That gives a bit of insight to her -- she is really a neat gal. Hope you enjoyed your ride into town and the treat!

I'm off to watch some TV and wait for DH to get home. He is helping a friend put a boat hoist in on the other side of the lake.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-11-2004, 05:04 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is another lovely day here. We went out to lunch and I had a smolked turkey panini. Works for me! I have been measuring things in the motorhome to see what will fit. The kitchen area sink is too small for the stainless rack I had gotten to use in my travel trailer. Hope I can find one like it in a smaller size. Also had to figure where I could put up a towel rack in the bathroom. I love a good challenge.

To day is graduation in this little burg and the powers that be sure do neat things for the grads. They are holding an all nighter at the fair grounds to last to 5 am. No drinking of alochol will be tolerated and the catch to get so many of them to go there and stay sober and have a great time is ~ now get this. There will be given away during the night a brand new car, a cruise, and many many aids for those going to college. All new neat "stuff."

Have a good and safe weekend everyone.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:55 PM   #11  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It has been another windy day and there were several tornados sighted in the area surrounding my corner of the world. None touched down which is good.

Maggie -- I thought of you this afternoon as we toured the flower gardens. The hostess has completed the necessary steps to be certified as a "master gardener." In doing so she realized that she already had planted many flowers mentioned in the Bible. So our tour today was to point out the different verses and the flowers mentioned therein. I can't begin to name all of the different lilies, plants, and trees; most of the flowers I had never heard of nor remember nor seen before. Several were edible varieties. Afterwards we had a choice of different flavored iced teas, lemonade, and pies, sweet breads, or muffins. It was a fun time! Just before we went inside to eat, one of the ladies spotted a funnel cloud several miles away. I'd never seen a real one before so that was a new experience for me. It never did touch down and eventually it just lifted back up into the clouds. I would think that all of the seniors would attend graduation festivities. WOW! What great prizes they give away!

I am heading off to bed shortly. I watched the service for President Regan on TV tonight. . .he was a great gentleman.

Have a super Saturday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 06-11-2004 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow Later Friday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Around 7 pm (it is 9 right now) Cowboy came in here where I was doing some paper work and said, "Lets go for a cruise." I was happy to leave what I was doing and we had a lovely time. No one was in town. All the teens were at the Fair Ground Building and no one was out. What a wonderful time.

JEAN what fun that garden party sounds like. Wish I was there. You know that is a wonderful thing to be able to give those types of gifts to grads since there are only 1700 in the whole county here. This is a very small town in a huge county ~ covers much territory.

Have a lovely weekend ya'all.

M♥GGIE
Old 06-12-2004, 07:42 AM   #13  

Hi girls! Sorry I have been absent, but I have barely kept my own thread going the last few days. I still do not have a cast on my arm. It is involved but it has to do with our insurer not paying claims because it involves 3rd party issues. I have been shuffled frfom place to place and have an appt on the 23rd so we will see what happens then. I am angry, frustrated and hurting on and off. Yesterday seemed to be a nightmare in the afternoon and evening with pain.

Jean: Your garden party brought up memories of the movie Calendar Grils, have you seen it? It is such a cute movie. We belong to Netflix, so I no longer have to go to the video store, they send the movies through the mail, up to three at a time and when I send them back, they send the next one in my list online. I rented Secondhand Lions, which is a spectacular family film if you like watching videos and Something's Gotta Give, which is a hilarious and sweet look at "older" age love.

Maggie: The high school my dd went to had a lockin at the school every year. This school had an indoor pool etc and the kids had food and fun all night and drawings for prizes and they gave away used cars, but at least a couple of them also cash, video stuff, etc. The kids looked forward to it every year.

Well, I want to get the downstairs cleaned and go to the pool this morning. It is the one time of the day I can seem to relax and let this stuff go. Oh and as an added bonus btw, I am down 12 lbs for the week! WOOHOO

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:40 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I am on my way to iron my outfit for the wedding. It's a beautiful day for an outdoor wedding . . . NO WIND after the horrible wind yesterday and a hazy sun. The humidity is low for some reason so I hope it holds until the wedding at 5:00. It will be at the lighthouse in Boy Scout Park, by the lake. It should be a pretty setting. The reception is in a renovated barn that a couple did; they outgrew their house when they started a catering business. I've not ever been there so I am anxious to see it.

Well, we have "three little kittens" under our deck. The mother cat is gray with orange blotches and she has another kitten with Siamese markings like she did last year. I wonder where/who the father cat could be? The other two look like they are gray and white from what we could tell from the distance we were watching them. We have rocks piled around the edge so they can only get in and out on one corner.

I need to keep moving. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 06-12-2004, 02:48 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

What a beautiful day it is going to be. As I type before noon it is 71 degrees with a high of 88 expected. Cowboy is umpiring a torunament today so I opted to stay home out of that sun. The field he is working at has few and far between trees. No shade in other words. In the evening we will do our "top down" cruise.

FAYE {{{{{{HUG}}}}} I feel so sorry for you girlfriend. Wish I could be there and give you real hugs. It is so terrible that people that get injured such as you get a run-a-round when their coping skills are at a low because of the injury and pain. I do hope they get it all straightened out soon.

Everyone have a lovely afternoon.