Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-08-2004, 09:33 AM   #1  

Default Questions about getting treatment for depression

Hi,

I was hoping that I could draw on everyone's experiences with seeking treatment for depression.

I have never sought professional treatment but have considered it a couple of times over the past 10 years . I'm now considering it again. I don't think I have severe depression but over the past 9 months (or so) I have had some of the classic signs of depression (but not suicidal thoughts). It is really afffecting my work and I don't want it to get the point that my job may be in jeopardy. (Nobody at work has said anything about my work habits yet.)

Here is where I need your help. I'm nervous about seeing a doctor about this. I imagine that most people feel this way at first. My biggest dread about going to the doctor for anything is being told that there is really nothing is wrong with me (implying that I'm either being a wimp or am imagining it). And, I don't know if it would be better to go through my regular doctor or the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at work.

How did you get the courage to seek help? How did the first visit go? Any other insight or suggestion you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 10:17 AM   #2  

It is often difficult to go to the doctor and share what has been happening. There is testing/questions that the doctor can ask to determine the extent of your depression. Medications and therapy can make a huge difference in how you face the world.

Make that appointment and see what the doctor has to say. I have a great relationship with my GP so I didnt' think twice about talking to her......but EAP is good too! Keep us posted and let us know how things go. Check in on the daily thread....it is a great place to get the support and encouragement that you may need.

Hope that helps!

Liz
liz321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Maurene,

It took me over 4 years of really deep depression b/4 I went to my doctor, I dreaded going and spilling my guts to her. I hit rock bottom and I hope you won't wait until that happens to you. The first time is the hardest. I went, I told her how I was feeling, I cried alot, alot, alot. 20 minutes later, it felt like the world was off my shoulders because I knew she was going to give me a perscription and help me. Its never an easy thing, thats for sure. I went thru different medications before I hit the right one, so don't give up if the first one doesn't help, and all I had to do was call my doctor and say it wasn't working, didn't even have to go in, she called the pharmacy and switched meds

EAP programs work great too. We have one here at work and only two weeks ago I checked into it and made my first appointment with a counselor who could help me with my compulsive eating. This took me MANY years to do, just cause I felt ashamed. My first visit was a crying session, but after I left she had me smiling. And my 2nd appt is tomorrow night, I'm looking forward to the help. But mostly and what kept me away from therapy is the cost. With my EAP program the first 8 sessions are free !!!! its a start

Bottom line, there's no magic words, you just have to muster enuf strenght to go make the first step. You can do it and boy for the 20 minutes of talking and crying can make the rest of your life so much better.

Hugs !! and let us know what you decide to do.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 10:55 AM   #4  

Thank you - Liz, Leenie and Sheila! I really appreciate your feedback! I haven't decided exactly what I am going to do yet. But, I had a good day yesterday and maybe part of that was due to admiting I could use help.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote