Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 07:29 AM   #1  

Default Thin4Life - June 7, 2004

Good morning everyone.

DH arrived home late Saturday night, safe and sound. He's suffering a bit from jet lag but is fine otherwise. We had a nice day together yesterday - delivered some Belgian chocolate to close friends and hung out IN THE SUNSHINE. Yes, the sun shone for two consecutive days. We're back to clouds this morning but the rest of the week is looking good at this point.

Got out for a 9-km run yesterday too. It was difficult, mostly because I'm accustomed to running with a group. I plan to continue the Sunday morning runs with the same folks that I trained with but didn't want to commit to 8:30 yesterday for obvious reasons

Melissa, Palm, lala: How was your weekend? How did the marathon go Domina?
Old 06-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning! It's sunny & 68 here this morning. Temps are starting to climb and with it the humidity. Tomorow is supposed to be 85!

Susan: Glad to hear DH is home safe and sound. I bet you had a great weekend!

My weekend wasn't anything special--Saturday I was on the hunt for a cute pair of sandals to wear with a pantsuit or dress and couldn't find what I was looking for. Did buy a cute pair of black slides though

My boss is off today so I'm hoping to plow through the pile on my desk. I also have some other things I've let slide the past few weeks.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:36 PM   #3  
si, si signora

Darn, I lost my post earlier today.

Susan, I am glad DH made it home okay. He'll be less jet lagged by Wednesday. It gets harder the longer you have been away.

Good on ya for the run too!

Melissa -- The new sandals this year are quite schizo. They are either way too casual and sporty or else way too strappy and promy. I bought a pair I liked from last year
on zappos.com and have yet to wear them.

Yikes, what a day. Took jacques to accupuncture this am and he was a total pain. He just wouldn't let me put on his muzzle and he embarrassed himself and made me stressed. I am not speaking to him.

DP is gone all week. I am not pleased. Of course, I am gone for four days next week, so we may see eachother for part of the summer. I hope.

I hope Pam and Domina are having great adventures where ever they are!

lala
hoping to stay out of the no bake cookies today.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:49 AM   #4  

It's overcast and a bit dreary here today but the forecast is for sun and temps in the mid-20s for later. I have dragon boat race practice tonight. We're preparing for race day on the 16th - a fun thing to mark public service week - and it's usually a lot of fun. My boat one the whole thing the first year but I'm not expecting a repeat

I'm not a big hockey fan but I must admit some disappointment this morning that the Flames couldn't go all the way. Domina - are you a proud Floridian today?

lala: You made me chuckle with your "not speaking to the dog" remark. Did he notice? DH was pretty bagged again last night but you're right; I expect he'll be back to normal today or tomorrow. He's back at work today so that will help.

Melissa: I'm embarrassed to think about how many pairs of shoes I bought this spring. I normally hang out in sport sandals for most of the summer so I'm staying away from the shoe stores for the next few months.

I'm happy to report that my eating seems to be stabilizing. Having someone to cook for helps. I've even been able to limit the Belgian chocolate to one after dinner, altho I was really tempted to go for a second last night. Darn, that stuff is good.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #5  
si, si signora

Hi everyone.

Sunnyish here today, however I am concerned that I currently have dahlias blooming. Yes, blooming as well as peonies. The dahlias are about 1.5 months ahead of schedule I tell you.

I also saw my first montbretias blooming, granted they are buy a brick wall that is southerly facing, but geez, that is early too.

I also picked 3 pts of strawberries and one of raspberries. I have to say that I ate the strawberries with freshly whipped cream last night, not a lot,but why? They were good though.

I hope Domina makes it home safely. I can't believe a Florida team won the stanley cup, I guess that means that the Canadians are going to have to start playing jai lai?

Melissa -- How are things?

Susan -- if those belgian chocs have cream in them, you better be eating them faster. If not, they hold quite well in the fridge. DP is still working on a few boxes from January (yikes). We are due to go to Paris in September. I suppose she'll restock then.

Okay, as I said, my eating yesterday was a bit wonky. I gave away most of the no bake cookies and am cleaning things out. Tonight its a tomato basil mozzerella salad for dinner.

lala
Old 06-08-2004, 05:03 PM   #6  

Height: 6'0"

Hi, everyone, I'm back!! South Dakota was gorgeous--beautiful scenery. We done good and picked the perfect B&B. It was in the middle of a forest, so quiet and so quaint inside. The owners were very nice and helpful. They even woke up at 4AM to get us something to eat before the marathon as DH had to catch his bus to the starting line at 5 AM. DH was a little disappointed in his time, but I keep telling him that 1) it was high elevation (6,000 feet) and 2) it was hot (96 degrees) Sometimes he's so hard on himself. There were almost 500 runners in the marathon and 600 or so in the half-marathon. All of the times were slow for obvious reasons.

We saw Mount Rushmore--what a sight. It just made me feel so patriotic. I still can't believe what those guys went through to sculpt it.

DH and I played golf on a 9-hole course. It was very interesting as the tees were on the sides of hills (looked like mountains to a Floridian).

I did not do well eating-wise on my vacation. I ate far too much junk food and I gained a couple pounds to prove it! Well, it's back to eating sensibly.

Yes, we're happy in Florida--go Lightning. lala, your comment just cracked me up about jai alai (sorry, Susan).

Susan, I'm glad your DH is home; enjoy the chocolate Good on ya for running, too.

Melissa, yep, good sandals are difficult to find. I have the same old pair that I keep wearing. I love slides, too.

lala, I hope you and Jacques make up You're right about sandals, they're too strappy now and my little toe sticks out!

Hi to Pam.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Welcome back Domina.

You'll get that travel and elevation weight off, no worries.

I bought a pair of quite adorable high heeled sandals -these are quite similar at
the rack for 54 bucks. They are my flirty sandals. I bought a pair of mephistos from last year (very in this year based on what I saw in London a week ago) and a pair of donald pliners. I think its time to realize that I bought too many pairs of shoes so far this summer. I forgot about the puma mostros I bought before going to Iran.

Hmm. I purchased 350 dollars worth of shoes in the last two months. However, retail they would have been closer to 800.

lala

http://www.shoecrafters.com/shoecrafters/gllowsl.html
Old 06-08-2004, 09:17 PM   #8  

Well, it's a hot & humid 81 here and it's 9 p.m.--can I say that this is not my kind of weather?! I'd much rather have mid 70's and no humidity. There are only so many clothes you can take off and still remain decent

Lala: We're picking fresh strawberries here as well...there's nothing quite like a strawberry warm from the sun. DH planted our garden and if the weather cooperates we should have a good number of tomatoes for canning. He's also planted fresh basil, eggplant, cucumbers, zucchini and some peppers. He may even have some other stuff out there that I'm not aware of. On the shoe front, the styles here are either really high and strappy or just more casual that you can't wear with skirts/dresses.

Susan: Glad to hear your eating is stabilizing. Me, on the other hand, is struggling with keeping my journal these past two weeks. I need to keep it out where I can see it so I remember to mark things down.

Domina: Sounds like you had a great time in South Dakota! DH and I like staying in B&B's--we usually plan a weekend in October.

Pam: Hope everything is going well there!

Time is going by really fast in the office--my new computer has arrived and the ITS people will be coming by soon to get me set up--it's kind of like Christmas. I've got a good boss who makes sure I have the latest technology. My "old" computer will be shifted to the student desk for their use. Orientation begins in a mere 10 days so we're getting down the wire. I got quite a bit done today and tomorrow should be just as productive. Weather is supposed to continue to be the 3H's (hazy/hot/humid) and then a cool front is supposed to move through and the high only 67 on Thursday. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:23 PM   #9  

Hi Everyone,

Hey, it's finally really hot and humid here. I'm so happy, it actually feels like summer is coming!!! Today it was 94 and tomorrow the weathermen are predicting it may get as high as 99!!! Of course on Thursday we will be back down to 70. Anyway...very busy still at work. Today I traveled the entire day across Connecticut looking at potential new sites for the company I work for. Very tiring. Tomorrow a six hour training session to learn how to use new software we recently purchased. Yikes, I can't wait for the weekend.

Melissa I laughed as I was reading all the comments regarding sandals. When we were in Newport last weekend I went into the Rockport store and bought my 4th pair (so far) this summer. Dh just doesn't understand the need to have so many ...I love shoes.

Domina I'm not much of a hockey fan, but I also thought it was pretty amazing that a Florida team did so well. Sounds like you had a nice trip. How are the lines coming along for the Odd Couple??

Susan glad your DH has returned and life is back to normal for you. How is the weather in your neck of the woods?? Is it getting warmer too?

Lala I hope you have forgiven poor Jacques and he is out of the dog house. Is the acupuncture helping?

Well it's almost 10:30 so time to go to bed. Talk to you later.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:48 AM   #10  

All of this talk about sandals and shoes has me thinking about getting some more. I would be embarassed for you to see my closet. I have so many shoes because I like them so much. I'm Imelda, Jr.

Melissa, you have warmer temps than we do! It's 86 here today, but it is more humid. We have finally begun receiving our daily showers and we needed them. The fires were getting scarier and scarier. How nice to get a new computer. I was given a flat screen monitor and folks around here were envious.

Pam, will you be moving to Connecticut? The lines are coming along really well. I have one of my plays memorized and I'm close on the other one. Of course, it's always different when I get on stage. When my DH asks me my lines, I rattle them off, but when I'm also expected to do my blocking on stage, it's as if my memory is gone!

lala, woo! Such pretty shoes on that site.

Hello to Susan.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #11  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Cool here today. I'll take it, the highs are supposed to about 65. Good thing I got that laundry in last night, we had a bunch of rain.

Pam -- driving across CT? What did that take you -- 45 minutes? Its a tiny state, then again, its a sloow state, with all those little towns to go through. Have fun and stop at White Flower Farm for me, eh?

Domina -- For every pair of shoes I bring home, I remove a pair. Its at a stable equilibrium right now. I need to do a bit of clothing clean up though, I have many things that just don't work together. I need a consultant to help me.

Melissa -- Sounds like quite the garden you have planted. I should be harvesting some turnips and lettuce soon. I am waiting for squash and beans and tomatoes. I can do without the early greens. Congrats on the "technology upgrade".

Susan -- Dragon boat racing is soo cool. It seems like such a canadian thing. We never seem to see them down here. I can't believe a year ago I was up in your neck of the woods....

Jacques is still and sore today, we went out this am and did a very tenative putter. Tonight I am going to take him to the park and let me putter around the ball fields. He is quite prissed off at his decrease of kibble and the increase of snowpeas and carrots in his diet. The boy needs to take of five lbs and so does his mama. The vet said that he didn't think he needed to see jacques for another three weeks which is good.

Okay, better get cracking, must get abstract (vague as it is) written for meeting.

lala
Old 06-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #12  
si, si signora

Help me, I brought in a huge bag of pistachios for my office mate and I'm eating some of them. Bad lala. I went through my eight days in Iran without eating any.

lala
Old 06-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #13  

lala, hide those pistachios.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #14  

Hi ladies,

Greetings from balmy New England. Temps were again in the 90's and it is hotter than he**. I'm not complaining though.

Lala Yeah driving directly across CT and MA really does not take that long. The problem is having to stop and look at every patch of dirt a developer wants you to look at for a potential store location. Very time consuming. You and my DH would get along well, his philosophy is the same as yours regarding shoes...buy a pair, get rid of a pair. Somehow I still haven't grasped that concept.

Domina I'm probably just a tad out of control also with shoes. If I see a pair I like I have to buy them. Honestly I have some pairs I've probably only worn once or twice. I really should weed some out (see comment above to Lala).

Susan Please explain to me what Dragon boat racing is. I'm not familiar with it.

Melissa hope your weather is nice and you're enjoying your walks.

Ok ladies, hope you all had a nice day. I'm must go turn on the AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:34 AM   #15  

Good morning! Yesterday was stifling (86) and very humid. Today it's much different--65 and overcast. I'm hoping that the weather will cooperate later today so that I can go for a walk and pick up a map from AAA. We're heading to Pittsburgh this weekend for DS #1 bowling tournament.

Lala: Hope you won the battle with the pistachios. Those things are so addictive, just like peanuts, you can't just eat one.

Pam: It was way too hot/humid to get out walking yesterday. The air was "heavy" and made it hard to breathe. Temps tomorrow are supposed to be cool again.

Domina: I've been in FL and experienced the humidity there--it's just as bad as it is up here. My GF got married in July and that year they were hitting record highs (98) for 3 days in a row--no wonder Floridians run from car to house in the summer!

Well ladies, last night our local Applebee's hosted the WW staff and let us sample all the new menu items that they are offering. Good thing I didn't eat a whole lot at lunch time! The food was great and a few of the items were spicy and some of my friends didn't care for it but I enjoy zing in my food. In any case my favorites were the French Onion Soup (3), Sizzling Chicken Fajitas (7), Mango Tilapia, Citrus Grilled Chicken Salad, oh heck, they were all good!

Yesterday I celebrated 5 years at goal. The time has gone by so fast! Anyway, I was up 1.2# but it was expected since TOM is here; next week will be better and I'm taking the 10 challenge (10 minutes of exercise 5 days a week) to get moving more. Summer I seem to slack off a little with the walking using the excuse it's too warm.

Hope everyone is doing well & staying cool!
Closed Thread