Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-06-2004, 09:31 PM   #1  

Default 10,000 steps per day and pedometers

Hi! Does anyone use a pedometer and try to get in the recommended 10,000 steps per day? I'm going to start doing it tomorrow though I know it will be awhile before I work up to 10,000 steps. I did 7800 yesterday just because I was so busy but I think my typical day is 3000-4000 steps without going for a walk.

There's a good article in this week's "Woman's World" magazine about counting steps. The woman on the cover lost 165 lbs. doing it! She did WW also I believe. She doesn't even look like the same person. The article says you're twice as likely to stick with a walking program if you use a pedometer.

JoAnn
JoJo128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

JoAnn- Maybe I'll get one of those Adult happy meals just for the pedometer lol. I'll be happy to join you!! We can count steps together, I'm so interested in fitness lately and I think its because I have totally made some life decisions!
Welcome to 3fc and the Exercise Forum!!
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:40 PM   #3  
Stephs1998

Hello. I just bought a pedometer. I am going to start shooting for 10,000 steps tomorrow. I have no idea how many steps I take in a day but we will see. I have added many steps to my day, intentionally. I am actually excited to see how I do! Let me know how you make out Joann.
Stephs1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:29 AM   #4  
Onward and downward!

I read this thread with interest as I was almost tempted to buy a pedometer at the pharmacist's today. It was $17.95, which is less expensive than others I have seen. I read on the pamphlet which accompanied it that even taking an extra 5000 steps per day can mean a weight loss of 14 pounds over 6 months!
One question: are they meant to be used as part of a walking program, or are they meant to get you moving more throughout the day?
Lucia
Lucia-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:45 AM   #5  

Lucia, they are meant to do both. It sort of makes you move more throughout the day such as: parking farther from the building you are going to or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. One woman in the article I mentioned above goes up to the next floor to use the copy machine or fax every time she needs to which adds a lot of steps to her day.

But.....even with the extra steps in your regular day, most people have to get a walking program going to get in the 10,000 steps. I walked about 35 minutes this morning and did 3772 steps. My regular day has been only about 4000 to 5000 steps so I'll have to do more to make the 10,000.

Steph and Michelle Rae, I'll be happy to start doing 10,000 steps with you. It might take me awhile to get up to that. I have about 35 lbs to lose and it's not coming off with just dieting so the exercise has got to help!

JoAnn
Old 06-07-2004, 10:24 AM   #6  
Stephs1998

JoAnn,
It will take me a while too, I have 45 pounds I want to lose. Guess what...I forgot my pedometer today, guess I need to get into the habit of wearing it! Will put it on when I get home!
Steph
Stephs1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #7  

I will join in too girls! But it will have to be tomorrow. I currently do walk aerobics so I don't know if I will take the pedometer off when doing that or not I would like to incorporate 10000 steps into just my basic daily living, wouldnt that just be wonderful!! I don't want my steps to include my already established workout lol. We'll see though!

Have a great day!!
Michelle
Old 06-07-2004, 11:37 AM   #8  

Michelle, that would be great but I think you should leave it on during your walk aerobics at first and see how many steps you take during an average day (10,000 steps is about 5 miles). You can always add to the total. The article said most Amish woman walk 14,000 steps/day and only 3% of the Amish are obese!

Steph, I put my pedometer right next to my bed so I put it right on in the morning. Let me know how you do tomorrow. I'm up to 5,000 today.

JoAnn
Old 06-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #9  

Joann- Wow well my workouts lately have been 5 miles a day alone!! We'll see what I do ontop of that, but I think walk aerobics isn't as many steps or **** I don't know lol!! I started a thread on Resistance training if anyone is interested in joining in, I use resistance bands for low intensity strength training. I'm also going to incorporate a few "different" fun things in my weekly workouts! One I'm really excited to do is "punk rock aerobics" they have the classes in boston but since I'm 3000 miles from there I'm recording a cd of punk music to go in my basement to Dance to! Woohoo!!

Michelle
Old 06-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #10  
Abby's Mommy

Does any one here have brand or type of pedometer to reccomend? Im gonna buy one tomorrow, and join you in your step counting!
Ivanna B. Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:15 PM   #11  

The one from McDonald's is not very good. You need to be able to set the length of your stride to get an accurate count. The one I have I got from Taget for about $30. They did have less expensive models. This one counts your steps, stores info, figures calories expended. I like it a lot. If you aren't sure you will use it, the one from McDonald's is okay to start with.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #12  

Ivanna, I got mine from Target as well it was 12 bucks and it talks...lol (you can turn it off) I call her chatty patty every 1,000 steps she lets me know

Anyone else notice how hard it is to get 10,000 steps in w/o doing formal exercise? My walking day is just about over and I've only managed about 4-5,000 and that was really going out of my way. Like walking into the bank vs. the drive thru. Taking the long way out my apt to the parking lot, finding little excuses to walk. I'm more tired trying to come up w/ways to walk than from walking
hereznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #13  

Hi all, I bought a pedometer last month at Target and it was only $12.99 and it tells you the distance walked, calories burned, steps walked and time (it also talks but you can always mute it). 10,000 steps is a good 5 mile walk. I got one of the pedometers from McDonald's and it doesn't work well at all. It is not very accurate so I don't recommend you use theirs. Hope this helps. Hi Michelle!!

Julie
jules02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:26 PM   #14  

I think we have the same pedometer hereznay. lol

julie
jules02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:00 PM   #15  

Hi everyone,

I couldn't believe it when I saw this thread. I just bought a pedometer over the weekend. I was just curious about how many steps a day I walk so thought I'd get one and see. I tried it for about a 1/2 hour today and hope to use it all day soon. I'll let you know how I do.
mrs.beasley is offline   Reply With Quote